New NAV / PCM system for 2011 CS Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 05:22 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New NAV / PCM system for 2011 CS Hybrid

hi, fellow listers ~

Curious IF anyone has had this experience or upgraded their '11 or newer Pepper???

2011 Cayenne S Hybrid with 44k miles.

It seems our pcm/nav may be toast. We have the Bose sound package.

Screen shows:
Emergency Update
Device: PCMG1
(at bottom: Please Insert an Update Medium

note: it also Re-Starts showing the Porsche logo... at night it friggin flashes. So we covered with black paper & gaff tape for now. ;-)

All various attempts and discs have been used in an attempt to re-boot, etc.
Nothing has worked. Car is just out of warranty. woohoo! ha.

Dealer is at a ballpark of around $6k plus to install a new-OLD unit. old tech, etc. Ordered from Porsche.

After market from Al & Ed's in Marina Del Rey is at about $3k-$4k for a higher end NAV from Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX. Seems IF we go this route we will need to replace OEM amp FSR. Thus the slightly higher price, than head unit alone.

TBH I will like the tech upgrade IF all goes well.

Any thoughts or knowledge from Porsche Audiophiles would be GREATLY appreciated.

rich | 24fps

PS: any AL & Ed's Marina Del Rey shared will be greatly appreciated as well! Youtube, etc showed some Porsche GT2 & 3's they upgraded in the past.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You can get the factory unit repaired for a flat fee of $850 plus shipping through Becker in NJ. They don't list the current models but that was the price when I had mine worked on last year. The repair comes with a 1 year warranty. If money is an issue this is another alternative.

http://beckerautosound.com/porsche/2865218
Old 04-27-2016, 12:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Another thing - the PCM is sort of linked into all the other modules on the vehicle. Lots of the vehicle specific adjustments you can make can only be done via the PCM menu system. I suspect you'd run into more problems then simply audio.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:30 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THANKS for the replies...

looks like I found a local guy who is going to simply reprogram for a new Porsche PCM/NAV... started hearing the 'things' the cluster display would NOT be showing IF we went non-stock; decided to pony up for a new unit... $$

All said & done it will run about $3200
We have Bose sound plus back up camera and park sensors and 6 disc (in dash changer + sirus)

it will take a day to do.

BTW that repair sounds like a good thing IF you can find someone excellent to pull it out & reinstall.
BUT I am NOT seeing a 2011+ unit on their page...

BTW was there a security code needed to reboot etc?

24fps / rich
Old 04-30-2016, 01:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by 24FPS
BTW that repair sounds like a good thing IF you can find someone excellent to pull it out & reinstall.
BUT I am NOT seeing a 2011+ unit on their page...

BTW was there a security code needed to reboot etc?
Did you try calling them? They might offer the service but not have updated the webpage..

And AFAIK - there is no security code. Theft of this sort of thing isn't so common anymore since they only will work in other Porsches - and they may get linked to the VIN# when installed.

Quick Reply: New NAV / PCM system for 2011 CS Hybrid