Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 05:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RomSL

Post fix CD14s behaves way better that 15s based on my experience.
We have both. The 14 was not impacted as badly as the 15; the 15's hesitation/surge issues are bad. In both, we've noticed some loss of performance, more in warm weather than cooler.

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Interesting mention of the 10k vs. 5k AdBlue intervals. Post-fix, mine dropped to 5k anyway. Still doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, other than having to remove the rear load floor, wedge my hand into the spare, pop the cover and somehow add the DEF without spilling.

Really? I've never driven a '15. My '14 still seems to be affected by what seems to be turbo lag. What makes the fix on the '15 not quite as good?
My 15, post fix is going on 7500 miles now and hasn't signaled low DEF yet. Dealer changed the oil before I bought it at 28K and change; I wanted to get it back to the even 5K numbers and will be changing it this week. And filling DEF.

Originally Posted by RomSL
Transmission shift pattern
This. Based on driving both our 14 and 15, it seems to be something in the transmission, more than the engine. Gear selection and TC lockup.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 PM
alterniTECH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 Year with the Fix, and Trouble begins

Hi everyone,
I own a 2013 CD, and had the fix about 1 year and 2 months ago. All has been good with the fix, except the hesitation issue that is reiterated throughout this forum. Mine is similar, very inconsistent, and seems to occur on days where we have a cold front come through accompanied with a rainfall, and a temperature drop, usually from the 70's down into the 50's (live in North Florida). Religiously, when I leave my office after this occurance, the hesitation occurs. It's crazy! Anyway, on to my additional rant... Other than the aforementioned issue, all seemed to have been fantastic, until Dec. 31st. I'm driving along, and my check engine light comes on, no messages, just the check engine. Fortunately, I wasn't far from the dealership, they were open. I had an appointment scheduled for the 11th for new brakes (has 68K miles). They hooked it up to the computer, and they said it was "o2" sensor related and to keep driving unless I noticed something wrong, to call. So, I kept driving, and, well, uh-oh, on the way home from work about a week later (the 7th), the dash lights up with "AdBlue fault. Engine will not start in 200 mi. So I emailed the dealership right away. The service rep set me up with an appointment the next day. They've had it since. They did the brakes, and said that the AdBlue fault "may" be a result of using inadequate DEF and suggested a removal and drain. Cost, $850. To which I said, PROVE IT, and I will pay it. That quickly was stifled, and on to warranty replacement items. They supposedly replaced two NoX sensors. and wanted to "perform additional test drive cycles to make sure all is working as designed, and all passes self tests... And, that they have been in contact with the "Field Rep" on my vehicle." (Whatever that means) - I hope to get it back early this week... I share this, to find out if anyone else has suffered similar issues to their CD after the fix? And is this the beginnings of things to come with this "fix"? Are all of the other parts going to fail/fall apart because of the different processing of the exhaust? Ugh... BTW, I am in a 2019 Cayenne Loaner, and my honest opinion - the bean counters at VW have cheapened it. I don't like it as much as mine. (I do like the shape of the rear-end/tail lamps better, as the 2013 is a bit , well, unique...).
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
We have both. The 14 was not impacted as badly as the 15; the 15's hesitation/surge issues are bad. In both, we've noticed some loss of performance, more in warm weather than cooler.

My 15, post fix is going on 7500 miles now and hasn't signaled low DEF yet. Dealer changed the oil before I bought it at 28K and change; I wanted to get it back to the even 5K numbers and will be changing it this week. And filling DEF.

This. Based on driving both our 14 and 15, it seems to be something in the transmission, more than the engine. Gear selection and TC lockup.
Given the behavior change in my CD before and after having the carbon buildup cleaned during the EGR replacement, I'd bet one of your CDs has much more carbon buildup in it than the other.
I have no lag now in my car; it's lazy to downshift, but the power comes on as it did when new/pre-fix.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:52 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by booch
Given the behavior change in my CD before and after having the carbon buildup cleaned during the EGR replacement, I'd bet one of your CDs has much more carbon buildup in it than the other.
I have no lag now in my car; it's lazy to downshift, but the power comes on as it did when new/pre-fix.
It's possible, but the '15 (bad one) only has 35K miles on it. Tough to build up carbon in that amount of time, I would think.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts

When ours had the EGT's and cat replaced (at 25,000 miles!) the dealer had 6 (Six!) CD's there getting the EGR's cleaned out, several with mileage around ours.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. I will bring that to their attention.

Is there any way of checking for carbon buildup short of disassembly? Bore scope or something?
Old 01-24-2019, 02:57 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Me thinks EGR cleanup service should be part of the maintenance schedule of all diesel engines (maybe at 4 years - 40K miles?). But I bet no manufacturer would include that because it would scare potential buyers away
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EGR cleanout required in 2500 Ram Cummins

Originally Posted by visitador
Me thinks EGR cleanup service should be part of the maintenance schedule of all diesel engines (maybe at 4 years - 40K miles?). But I bet no manufacturer would include that because it would scare potential buyers away
EGR cleanout was added as a maintenance service on my Ram 2500 Cummins at 67,500 miles. It wasn't listed in the manual but the computer calls for it, probably added in a software update. I did it myself - relatively easy. The EGR cooler was another thing. I had that done but have since read that that is not really required. I thought my truck ran better after cleaning the EGR.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:02 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

It's possible, but the '15 (bad one) only has 35K miles on it. Tough to build up carbon in that amount of time, I would think.
Have you looked at the number of total hours run on your '15 CD? Maybe it idled or was in stop and go traffic most of the time. Perhaps it also drank a lot of bio diesel at some point?
Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Saw this on the way to work.

TODAY

What on Earth? Lol.

Name:  photo146.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  564.3 KB
Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

TODAY

What on Earth? Lol.

Attachment 1299374
Seem like there is still a strong market for even the fixed diesels.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:46 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Have you looked at the number of total hours run on your '15 CD? Maybe it idled or was in stop and go traffic most of the time. Perhaps it also drank a lot of bio diesel at some point?
No, I don't have a durametric yet.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

No, I don't have a durametric yet.
Look at your car trip info in PCM. Maybe it was not reset.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Diesels are back according to VW

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

TODAY

What on Earth? Lol.

Attachment 1299374
This could explain it. Diesels are back ( in Germany) according to VW.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/busin...les/index.html
Old 02-01-2019, 12:34 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneBlack

This could explain it. Diesels are back ( in Germany) according to VW.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/busin...les/index.html
I wonder whether these cars will be coming to the US and whether they will drive better than the Cayenne and other 3.0 TDI cars with “the Fix” ? I thought VW was done with diesel and this article is surprising.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue