Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018-242/)
-   -   dash top chrono/clock harness (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018/774703-dash-top-chrono-clock-harness.html)

MjRocket 09-03-2013 11:54 PM

dash top chrono/clock harness

Hello gentleman

Im in need of a harness/plug for the back of a 2011-13 dash top chronometer clock for a cayenne GTS.

The clock part # is 958 641 601 12

Does anyone happen to have one or know where to source a used one? A full harness is not a must, I merely need the plug itself with short wires coming out.

Thx

Mj

MjRocket 09-06-2013 03:31 PM

Come on now, one of you good Gents must have some Input?? :)

gnat 09-06-2013 06:37 PM

You'd have to find someone that has removed their clock and has no intent of putting it back and I think that is pretty rare.

I have mine apart and can take some pics and get some measurements if you want, but you can't have the plug itself :p

MjRocket 09-06-2013 06:53 PM

Gnat

Id appreciate that, Thank You.
Im willing to make a harness/plug if I can get pics showing which wire goes to each pin.

Thx

Mj

MjRocket 09-06-2013 06:55 PM

By the way, the part# to the clock I have is 958 641 601 12

Thx

Mj

gnat 09-06-2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MjRocket (Post 10741251)
Id appreciate that, Thank You.
Im willing to make a harness/plug if I can get pics showing which wire goes to each pin.

OK. I'll get some pics and info for you tomorrow.

Originally Posted by MjRocket (Post 10741255)
By the way, the part# to the clock I have is 958 641 601 12

I have the sport chromo now, but originally had the plain clock. No harness change was needed (at least I assume not since it only took them about 20 minutes to do the swap and reprogramming).

gnat 09-07-2013 01:07 PM

Here are the particulars and some pics. I'm sorry the right side is blurry beyond use. The sun and short cable made getting the pics a pain, but I thought that one was clear while I was still in the car :(

According to my calipers it has the following measurements:
  • 24.05mm long
  • 8.67mm wide
  • 9.42mm high
  • Width of the "wings" at the bottom is 12.62mm.
  • Height including the tab at the top right (facing as the front pic) is 10.80mm

The following is written on it:
  • Bottom: PBT-GB10
  • Bottom: 1.6
  • Top: BMW6954538-01 (no it does not appear to be a real BMW part)
  • Top: 77E 0-1719360-1 A

Wires are:
  1. (lower left) brown
  2. orange/gray (maybe orange/brown)
  3. Not Connected
  4. (lower right) Not Connected
  5. orange/purple
  6. red/yellow

Front:
http://home-ether.net:9080/Cars/Caye...lug/front.jpeg

Top:
http://home-ether.net:9080/Cars/Caye.../plug/top.jpeg

Bottom:
http://home-ether.net:9080/Cars/Caye...ug/bottom.jpeg

Left:
http://home-ether.net:9080/Cars/Caye...left-side.jpeg

Right:
http://home-ether.net:9080/Cars/Caye...ight-side.jpeg

MjRocket 09-08-2013 06:54 PM

gnat

Thank You my friend! Can you tell me, or perhaps show with a pic, which pins inside the clock itself where the harness plugs in, correspond to which wires? Since ill need to solder a wire to each pin.

Thanks Again

gnat 09-08-2013 07:05 PM

If you look at the front picture that is what plugs into the back of the clock when its front is facing you.

If you look there are the "wings" at the bottom and tab on the top right that control how it is lined up.

So when you are looking at the back of the clock that puts the top tab on the left and makes pin 1 the bottom right.

Sean Wheeler 09-14-2013 09:31 PM

958 Sport Chrono Installation

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed the Stopwatch/Chrono in my 2012 Cayenne Turbo. Very easy!

Sean Wheeler 09-14-2013 09:41 PM

958 Sport Chrono Installation

3 Attachment(s)
More pics of the installation. Dealer just updated the software to activate the option.

gnat 09-14-2013 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sean Wheeler (Post 10761532)
More pics of the installation. Dealer just updated the software to activate the option.

Did they enable the full chrono package or just enable it as a clock?

Sean Wheeler 09-14-2013 11:00 PM

Sport Chrono palcage

The clock worked just by installing it. The dealer had to flash the ECU to enable the full sport chrono pkg.

gnat 09-15-2013 12:33 AM

Have any more details on that? My dealer said that couldn't be done without a new PCM (seemed BS to me, but as I don't have any information to the contrary I couldn't argue it).

Did they charge you anything for the flash?

Sean Wheeler 09-15-2013 12:36 AM

Charge for flash

Yes, $85.00

Sean Wheeler 09-15-2013 12:38 AM

Flash

They did say that since i have a newer car 2012 just a flash was required.

gnat 09-15-2013 02:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask my new dealer about it.

Robert Collins - 96 993TT 12-02-2013 01:17 AM

Sean, I just got my 2011 Cayenne turbo and I want to do this as well but I have no clock there at all, only the big Bose center channel speaker grill. Questions:

1) Do you know if I can do it if I have no current clock?
2) What about having the Bose Audio system? I haven't lifted the grill area, but I thought the Bose center channel speaker was bigger than that.
3) All in all, what was your total cost for adding this?

Also, mine is a 2011 Turbo, so I am not sure if the reflash will work on mine or not. If by new your dealer meant that they made an ECU change between 2011 and 2012 I may be done for...
Thanks Sean or anyone else that knows!

Robert

Sean Wheeler 12-02-2013 02:48 AM

Dash top clock

Ok, a few things. First the cover that is over the Bose center speaker just pops off and the new cover with clock fits in it's place. Very easy to install. You can buy the system from several different place. eBay is a great place to start. Make sure you get the clock, cover and wire harness for the unit. The cost is around $850.00. It only takes 30 minutes or so in install. The dealership will not need to flash the ECU if you just want the clock to operate. It will do this once to hook it up to the ECU. The flash would be for the stopwatch function. Check with your dealer on the 2011 model year.

Here is the eBay item #190892364132 from a company called smart motoring.

Robert Collins - 96 993TT 12-03-2013 01:12 AM

Thank you sir!

Well, the way that ad makes it sound, this sport chrono is compatible with every single Cayenne built, so the wiring add-on they give you must splice into something to connect it to the ECU.

So is this the one you bought? Does the second hand of the small clock have the annoying tick everyone talks about, or does the sport chrono avoid that?

Robert Collins - 96 993TT 12-03-2013 01:15 AM

Oh, I almost forgot...I wouldn't bother with this for just the clock. The look without it is very sleek and elegant, almost looks like the runway path you are approaching in this bird...lol! I would add this for the functionality. It sounds like it's NOT attached to my Sport button in any way which is too bad (I think the 997's or 991's are connected), but I think the stopwatch and the digital clock would be awesome.

Sean Wheeler 12-03-2013 01:43 AM

Yes, the wire harness connects to the back of the ECU to the same 4 color wires. Very easy. The clock is very quiet. I can't here any noise of the ticking hand. I know that was an issue with the older models.

Yes, this is the same unit i purchased. It's been a few months and the unit works perfectly. The clock is an OEM Porsche unit.

Robert Collins - 96 993TT 12-04-2013 02:37 AM

Good news! I'll get on this soon!

TGED 06-22-2014 12:10 AM

What about the back lighting for the clock, does it work as well?

jeneria 11-05-2014 09:53 AM

ECU or PCM?

Originally Posted by Sean Wheeler (Post 10948447)
Yes, the wire harness connects to the back of the ECU to the same 4 color wires. Very easy. The clock is very quiet. I can't here any noise of the ticking hand. I know that was an issue with the older models.

Yes, this is the same unit i purchased. It's been a few months and the unit works perfectly. The clock is an OEM Porsche unit.

maybe ECU means PCM or CDR, right?
or it point real ECU unit?

BobGardner 11-21-2014 01:23 PM

I just got a chrono. Thanks to Gnat, his pinout let me hook my kvaser can logger up to the canh and canl on the chrono and record several files full of can IDs. Trouble is, when I play them back on the bench, the chrono doesnt wake up and respond. Onething Stoopid old Bob fergot to check was is the red wire REALLY 5V? If it is, its the ONLY automotive gadjet I've ever seen that doesnt run from 12V. If gnat ever gets to Orlando, its dinner on me if he can take his meter out to the car for me and confirm. I want to make a little can controller to control it. Anyone got ANY Porsche CAN IDs? I'll post my 500K log file if you are interested. If I knew the chrono IDs were in the 0x500 range for instance, that would let me narrow the search. Thanks for reading.

gnat 11-21-2014 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by BobGardner (Post 11820496)
I just got a chrono. Thanks to Gnat, his pinout let me hook my kvaser can logger up to the canh and canl on the chrono and record several files full of can IDs. Trouble is, when I play them back on the bench, the chrono doesnt wake up and respond. Onething Stoopid old Bob fergot to check was is the red wire REALLY 5V? If it is, its the ONLY automotive gadjet I've ever seen that doesnt run from 12V. If gnat ever gets to Orlando, its dinner on me if he can take his meter out to the car for me and confirm. I want to make a little can controller to control it. Anyone got ANY Porsche CAN IDs? I'll post my 500K log file if you are interested. If I knew the chrono IDs were in the 0x500 range for instance, that would let me narrow the search. Thanks for reading.

Haha! That rocks. I for one would LOVE to study the CAN messages in a 958 as there are things I'd like to figure out. I'll even pop open my dash again to help (damn grill is a PITA to get back in place).

I want to put a controller in that does a better job of remembering settings than Porsche felt the need to (disabling parking sensors, re-enabling sport mode, etc..) and some other tweaks would be nice too if possible (closing the tailgate from the fob or driver's door, windows up/down from the fob, etc..). I've got the programming skills and basic electronics experience to make a go of it, but I only know the theory of CAN and that Porsche has actually made it a bit of a PITA in the 958s.

We should probably move such discussions to a separate thread though.

ndx 11-22-2014 02:51 AM

There is no "flash" it just need to be enabled/activated

As for CAN commands. Only usefull things are PIDS for let say tranny temp.
You need to write to ECU doing it manually would require you desiring eeprom. And changing hex by hand.

Doable but quiet risk if you don't have anything to compare.

carlos50 11-22-2014 09:00 AM

I am considering the upgrade with "just the clock" as I think it looks really cool and not having the time on show for passengers sucks. Ive heard about the PCM update to add the time onto the bottom line but it will be small and I just think the dash top clock will be great.

I can buy the clock with the panel trim easily enough for circa £300 GBP but the seller doesnt have the harness, anyone know the part number and rough price for it from Porsche?

Also, Im under Porsche warranty, will I be ok to DIY this because its genuine Porsche parts or will they kick up a fuss because its not factory fit?

Im quite nervous about having to remove the PCM unit, is it a must or can the cable be plugged in from behind without removal and is plugging in very obvious without the need to splice into existing harnesses etc?

Thanks

Car

gnat 11-22-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by carlos50 (Post 11822295)
Also, Im under Porsche warranty, will I be ok to DIY this because its genuine Porsche parts or will they kick up a fuss because its not factory fit? Im quite nervous about having to remove the PCM unit, is it a must or can the cable be plugged in from behind without removal and is plugging in very obvious without the need to splice into existing harnesses etc? Thanks Car

In the USA we have legal protections that allow us to modify our cars without the dealer complaining (they have to prove that the mod is at fault for the reported problem), but I have no idea in your neck of the woods.

Since you don't have a dash clock already you most likely don't have the harness which means that the PCM will have to come out and you'll need to do some splicing.

As far as a passenger visible time, you can configure the CAR screen to show the current time if I remember correctly (not much use if you use other PCM screens though).

carlos50 11-22-2014 10:31 AM

Hi gnat

I dont think we have such a law here in the UK?

Splicing of cables etc. uh oh :confused:

I just really like the idea of the clock on the dash top, I think it looks like its meant to be that way and without looks a bit bare now.

If its going to prove too much I will step away from this idea and maybe find one with it in the next 958 (hopefully a Turbo when they drop in price a bit more)?

Thanks for the quick reply

Carl

gnat 11-22-2014 01:29 PM

Finding out if you'll need to do some wiring is pretty simple. Just pull the panel off and look. If there is a cable with a 4 pin plug (sorry my pics aren't working any more) then you would just need the clock and trim panel.

carlos50 11-22-2014 04:17 PM

Do you mean a 4 pin plug without anything plugged in or a plug that has to be removed to plug the new harness in?

How does the plastic cover come off?

gnat 11-22-2014 06:10 PM

If it is there it won't be plugged into anything as it plugs into the clock modules. Porsche doesn't like to give you extra wires though, so I doubt its there.

A trim tool will pry it out pretty easily. Just go slow and don't force it. Getting it back on is a bit annoying, but again don't force it or you'll break the clips.

BobGardner 11-24-2014 12:02 PM

Hi Mr Gnat! Thanks for responding. Send me an email bobgardner at mcnallyelectronics dot com, and I'll send you all the CAN IDs that were flying over the chrono bus. Is the red wire 5V or 12V? Inquiring minds want to know.

carlos50 11-24-2014 03:22 PM

Hi gnat

Assuming the cable isnt there, what will the back of the PCM unit look like at the location where the cable will plug in please? Am I right to think its a splice operation to tap into an existing harness?

gnat 11-24-2014 03:46 PM

I have no idea since mine came with a clock. On the first page Sean Weeler reports actually making this modification so you might try reaching out to him for more info.

BobGardner 11-26-2014 04:33 PM

Hi again. I've been trying to get my chrono to wakeup on the bench. As I mentioned previously, I have a couple of 500K log files that I recorded right at the chrono canh and canl using a kvaser and canking. Mmmm... makes me want a tuna sandwich.... anyway, I can ohm the canh and canl from the connector pins to the 82C250 can chip, but the 5V to the can chip just pops on for 200ms at poweron. The seconds vernier does its little zeroing waggle. My hypothesis is: it wants to see a certain can msg within 200ms of poweron, or else it goes back to sleep or something. I can make it reinit by turning the volts down to about 4.5 then back up above 5. I have a program running on an AT90CAN32 bd with a 2551 can chip, and I can send all the IDs from 0x100 to 0x6ff with 'dummy' payloads of all ff, 80, or 0. Was hoping it might recognize one of these as 'Turn on the lcd backlight' or 'latch this pattern in the seconds stepper motor' or something but with no 5V on the can chip, no RXD to the computer. Its a 100 pin tqfp under the display. Probably an nxp or an st arm. I'll send the captured log to anyone that wants to look. email at home over the Thanxgiving weekend is bobgardner at aol dot com. Next week, contact is bobgardner at mcnallyelectronics dot com. Thanks for you interest!

Shucks. I cant believe there arent any Porsche owners that dont want to see the can logs with the logger attached at the chrono. This is the interior can bus? Think I could find a collaborator on one of the other foums? Would some racers/rallyers want to customize the chrono operation?

yokokily 01-25-2015 07:54 PM

cable for 987/991???

Can someone help me with the cable for the stopwatch on a 2006-2009 Porsche? Some pics or help on wich wire goes where?

Originally Posted by Sean Wheeler (Post 10761520)
I just installed the Stopwatch/Chrono in my 2012 Cayenne Turbo. Very easy!

roders 03-25-2015 01:34 AM

Hi All,
Has anyone found a reliable source just to supply the plug / cable?
I've worked out the Porsche part no, should be : 999-656-273-40 but been unable to source it.

roders 03-25-2015 01:35 AM

I know the pin outs, from the 6-pins, only 4x are used.

Pin 1 is ground (Brown/White)
Pin 2 is CAN Low (Orange Brown)
Pin 3 is not connected.
Pin 4 is not connected.
Pin 5 is CAN High (Orange Violet)
Pin 6 is Live/Power (Red Yellow)

Nguyen Thanh Hai 01-26-2016 12:23 PM

Sorry, where can I buy this clock & the panel and the wire ?

deilenberger 11-01-2016 07:41 PM

Binging this thread back from the dead - but I wish someone had found this before me and done the same.. :bigbye:

Thought I'd pass along something I found - a source for the needed wiring harness (from Hong Kong of course..):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262590024321 - Not cheap ($90) but 1/3rd the price the thieves on ebay who sell a kit for $900 wanted for their harness ($250..) which looked IDENTICAL. The vendor is "euro-ctmtuning" in case the ad goes missing.

I've ordered it (in for a penny.. in for a pound..)

I have the dash panel - new from Porsche - $139.00 (my local dealer will match the best price on parts I can find on-line if they are genuine Porsche parts), have two clocks - one sport/chrono and one "plain" one. I'd consider installing the sport/chrono - but don't know what button gets pushed to trigger the stopwatch.. so I'll probably install the "standard" one.

There are plenty of clocks - both kinds - available on Ebay. I suspect they're ones where the second hand fell off - and someone simply unscrewed the front bezel (it comes RIGHT OFF) and put the second hand back on, hopefully with a tiny bit of glue this time. Prices range from $130-300.

Anyone know if the sport-chrono can be used without the sport-chrono button? I know it has to be turned on by the dealer.. but how do you control it?

roders 11-01-2016 10:26 PM

Hi Guys
$90 is CRAZY for that cable, as you can get it direct from your local Porsche dealer via the service department.

Initially I started looking online with no joy, but you will be surprised what a phone call to your local dealership comes up with.
I was expecting $200+ but happily surprised on this one.

The part you need, the no. is 999-656-273-40.
It is a spare part order ex-Germany but should only be ~$10-20.

deilenberger 11-02-2016 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by roders (Post 13717579)
Hi Guys
$90 is CRAZY for that cable, as you can get it direct from your local Porsche dealer via the service department.

Initially I started looking online with no joy, but you will be surprised what a phone call to your local dealership comes up with.
I was expecting $200+ but happily surprised on this one.

The part you need, the no. is 999-656-273-40.
It is a spare part order ex-Germany but should only be ~$10-20.

If you punch that number into any Porsche parts website - nothing comes up. Is it something that only the parts guys can see? Have you bought one? I know most manufacturers will sell "repair" parts - like a cable stub with a connector - and I'd guess that's what this is. The trick is always finding out the PN, then finding a savy parts guy who knows how to order it.

BTW - if you plug that # into the all-knowing Google - guess what comes up as the only relevant response? This thread.

And $90 is way less crazy than the $250 the guy on eBay selling the clock kits wanted for the cable.

termite01 11-02-2016 01:00 PM

"The part you need, the no. is 999-656-273-40. It is a spare part order ex-Germany but should only be ~$10-20."

Have tried to order using that part number and it comes back as an invalid number...

deilenberger 11-02-2016 06:52 PM

Thought I'd post a pic of the ebay cable. I note that the color codes on the wires appear correct, which should make it fairly easy to find the correct ones to splice into on the back of the PCM. I do have diagrams of what pins are used on the PCM - and the wire colors - if anyone needs those.

Meanwhile - here is what they're supposed to be sending me (shipped last night):

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...24e1f01a52.jpg

roders 11-02-2016 09:44 PM

Can be ordered via dealer spare parts, but yes you are right doesn't show up on online sites.
Also can see an alternative code here from a 981 which also works.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c5e773a47a.jpg

deilenberger 11-03-2016 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by roders (Post 13719951)
Can be ordered via dealer spare parts, but yes you are right doesn't show up on online sites.
Also can see an alternative code here from a 981 which also works.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c5e773a47a.jpg

Google turned up:

http://www.porschepartssuperstore.co...612-692-00.htm

And

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/pors...m_3641698.html

Price ranging from $23-35. Less than $90, but not $5-10..

Be interested in a photo of it if someone orders one from Porsche.. the diagram shows two connectors on one end.. wonder what's up with that?

termite01 11-03-2016 04:11 PM

Just ordered it from Porsche parts superstore and it should be here in a few weeks. Will post the results when it shows up...

deilenberger 12-08-2016 06:41 PM

termite - any sign of it?

Meanwhile I can report back on installing my clock. Took about 2 hours to do it - a portion of that time tying to make sense of the diagrams from the service manual.

I didn't take any photos (sorry.. but it would have been difficult to take ones that were useful.)

What I bought:

1 - Clock, standard off Ebay - used - probably one where the second hand fell off and someone stuck it back on. Cost was $135. I also was gifted a chronograph/stopwatch - but since I don't have the lap-timer button on the steering column it wouldn't be a lot of use to me.

2 - New center console panel. Got one in black with the clock mount. Ordered from the dealer new - used are impossible to find - $135

3 - Wiring harness - as described above - $90

4 - 20 small (18-22 gauge) Positap connectors - Amazon. $26. Only needed 2. So I have 18 left for other projects if I think of any.. or if anyone wants to buy smaller quantities than 20.

Total: $135 + 135 + 90 + 26 = $386. There is a guy selling a "kit" that consists of most of the above on Ebay - he asked $750 IIRC. So less than half his price.

The cable from China via eBay was satisfactory. The connector was correct and the wires are color coded. Only problem - the data line is color coded reverse of what it should be. There is a high and a low digital multimedia line. One of them is color coded brown strip on orange wiring. That's the "low" line on the data bus. The wiring harness used brown-strip on orange wiring - but on the high side of the data bus. Dunno if the bus IS polarity sensitive - some are - some aren't - but it would have been nice if the color code followed the standard used by Porsche.

Removing the center panel is fairly easy if you have the blue plastic interior panel tools (Harbor Freight for around $4 - instead of the Porsche parts places for $40.. SAME IDENTICAL TOOLS!) Use your finger to pull up a corner of the grille vent, and slip an L shaped tool under it. Pry up - slip another L shaped tool further down the grille. Pretty soon one side is released. Repeat on the other side. The clips on the middle of the grille just push down into retainers - it requires some brute force to pull them loose. I managed several times without breaking anything.

Next off are the two vents on either side of the PCM. There are little loops that sort of stick out of the inside walls of the vents. You'll need a Maglite to see them. These get pulled toward the center of the vent. Someone posted a link to a neat-o Ford tool that allows you to grab opposite ones and pull them both toward center. The tool makes it very easy to remove the vent. I did it by releasing the bottom ones and the vent pivoted out. There is a wire attached to the vent for the lighting for the knob, and a switch on the knob that probably tells the HVAC that the vent is closed. It could be disconnected, or you could just leave the vent dangling by the wire like I did.

The PCM is now exposed. There are 4x T-27 screws that hold in. I started the engine, moved the shifter to drive, and shut the engine off. The car wasn't happy (it told me so on the dash) - but that moved the shifter out of risk from the PCM. I then covered the shifter and center console with a big-ass towel to keep from scratching anything.

The wiring going to the back of the PCM is one big connector - held in by a "bail" that must be pivoted down to release the connector. There are a lot of wires going to this connector and they all go into a 3 bundles that then go into one bigger bundle, making it awkward to work on the harness. The harness isn't too long, so the work has to be done with the harness barely out of the PCM hole.

I cut back the covering on the bundle that carries the power lead to allow me to access it more easily.

I ran the cable purchased above - after wrapping it in some cloth electrical tape (looks factory that way..) - down through the big hole under the center grille and it comes out in the back of the PCM compartment.

I then used two Positaps to connect up the data lines - after studying the color codes. It's tight, but the Positaps I selected are quite small so it's doable.

The next challenge was the power line. The main power line to the PCM is the big RED with Yellow Stripe wire. It's probably about 14 gauge. I ended up using a tiny knife to cut back a short bit of insulation off the wire - then stripping and wrapping the clock cable RED power lead to the bare section, and soldering it. Then I covered this with cloth electrical tape, and wrapped the whole thing with a layer of cloth electrical tape.

The ground wire from the clock cable - is BLACK. I didn't want to strip the main ground (BROWN, 14G) to the PCM, so I figured I'd just fasten the ground wire under one of the tiny Torx screws holding the PCM together, and use it's chassis as ground. That was easy to do.

All hooked up - I plugged in the stopwatch clock - and turned the ignition on. The hands moved to zero. So things were working.

I then reinstalled the PCM and side vents. I hooked up the normal clock, which was installed in the new grille and banged it down into place in the center of the dash.

Turned on the ignition and the clock hands did their dance - and set themselves to the time shown on the PCM + 3 hours. Hmmm.. took the grille out, clock out, unscrewed the front bezal and moved the hour hand to the correct hour setting, then reassembled it all again. Connected up, power on - the hands did their dance and now stopped on the correct time - same as on the PCM. Changing the time zone using the vehicle settings menu changed it in the PCM display, dash display and now - the clock.

So it's all working.

On a 1-10 scale - the install is probably a 5. It would be easier if I was younger and thinner with more agile hands. Mine are 7+ decades old and don't quite move as easily as they used to.

BTW - I *STRONGLY* recommend using Positaps rather than the red "Scotch-Lok" connectors. The Scotch-Lok type connector destroys the wire it's attached to by cutting some of the strands. The Positap uses a sharp pin to pierce the insulation and then run between the wiring strands. The Positap is much less damaging to the wiring. Costs more - but worth it.

The reason I didn't use a Positap for the power lead is - the ones I had were made for 18-22G wire on both ends (the wire being tapped and the wire being connected to the tap.) The power lead is much bigger. Positap does make ones that have two different size ends. If I'd realized this was how the wiring was - I would have ordered some of those. I did the running-tap solder joint because I'm old and learned to solder about 63 years ago.. this technique isn't damaging to the wiring strands being tapped into, but does require some skill to do. Not too many people have those skills today (or even a decent electronics soldering iron and real solder.)

HTH,

If there are questions, I'll do my best to answer them..

deilenberger 12-08-2016 08:09 PM

One other note.. to get the lighting in the clock to turn on was a bit of a challenge.

I could turn it on and off using my diagnostics software - but if I turned it on that way it stayed on when the engine was off and the car asleep.

Finally found it - under Vehicle, Settings, Time/Date - a new option appeared [ ] Chrono time - checking that turned on the lighting so it worked with the rest of the interior lighting.

speederman 02-26-2017 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 13799818)
One other note.. to get the lighting in the clock to turn on was a bit of a challenge.

I could turn it on and off using my diagnostics software - but if I turned it on that way it stayed on when the engine was off and the car asleep.

Finally found it - under Vehicle, Settings, Time/Date - a new option appeared [ ] Chrono time - checking that turned on the lighting so it worked with the rest of the interior lighting.

Hi Don,
Do you think the same wire will work for a compass ?

speederman 02-26-2017 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 13719546)
Thought I'd post a pic of the ebay cable. I note that the color codes on the wires appear correct, which should make it fairly easy to find the correct ones to splice into on the back of the PCM. I do have diagrams of what pins are used on the PCM - and the wire colors - if anyone needs those.

Meanwhile - here is what they're supposed to be sending me (shipped last night):

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...24e1f01a52.jpg

As expected, those sellers disappeared. Do you still have their email address from your paypal payment history ?

That will be much appreciated.

deilenberger 02-26-2017 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by speederman (Post 13987640)
As expected, those sellers disappeared. Do you still have their email address from your paypal payment history ?

That will be much appreciated.

It should work for a compass - the connections are identical.

I'll send a PM with the vendors contact info.

deilenberger 02-26-2017 05:07 PM

Don't even ask how I found it.. but I did. It went up in price ($100US). I have not ordered anything from this source so I can't vouch for them, but it's the identical picture that was used for the ebay listing, and it's coming from Hong Kong, so - at your own risk:

http://www.2040-parts.com/porsche-da...-kit-i2223354/

Let us know how this works out..

roders 02-26-2017 09:26 PM

Yes they will also work, they all need just 4x wires connected.
+12V (Power)
Ground
CAN HIGH
CAN LOW.

It's a bus systems so you are essentially giving the device power and then taping into the bus network.

Save yourself the trouble and just ask your dealership to order in the item from the spares department. This is the one time I have found that online 3rd parties are a more expensive solution to genuine.

deilenberger 02-26-2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by roders (Post 13988706)
Yes they will also work, they all need just 4x wires connected.
+12V (Power)
Ground
CAN HIGH
CAN LOW.

It's a bus systems so you are essentially giving the device power and then taping into the bus network.

Save yourself the trouble and just ask your dealership to order in the item from the spares department. This is the one time I have found that online 3rd parties are a more expensive solution to genuine.

Apparently people who have tried ordering it via the dealership spares haven't had any luck yet. Have you?

roders 02-26-2017 10:36 PM

Yes got mine through their spare parts division, installed and working fine.
Just give them the screenshot from PET with the part number to make their life easier.

deilenberger 02-27-2017 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by roders (Post 13988897)
Just give them the screenshot from PET with the part number to make their life easier.

The PET screenshot shows a cable with 3 connectors on it. I've heard from Termite - he finally got the one he ordered - and promises to take a photo of his - and it has 3 connectors on it. I'm guessing one of the connectors is for the clock, and perhaps the other two are male-female pass-through connectors allowing the harness to be put between the main harness and some component in the Boxster.

Is that what you got?

You said you installed it. What was involved?

I assume some cutting of the extra connectors was involved.

roders 02-27-2017 08:38 PM

Yes that is what I got, all you are interested in is the plug which goes into the clock.
You can cut the rest off so that you are left with 4x wires. Then you just tap those wires in to the existing harness.
Very easy install, I did not cut the original harness, just use some wire taps. (the clip type).

speederman 03-01-2017 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 13988126)
Don't even ask how I found it.. but I did. It went up in price ($100US). I have not ordered anything from this source so I can't vouch for them, but it's the identical picture that was used for the ebay listing, and it's coming from Hong Kong, so - at your own risk:

Hi Don,
Thanks for the link but it does not work...
Try to PM me the email contact you have please :cheers:

speederman 03-01-2017 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by roders (Post 13988897)

Roders,
You mean that the highlighted part number on the PET for the wiring harness for the chrono on Cayman 981 will work on Cayenne for the compass ?
Is that the one you've ordered ?

Thanks.

termite01 03-01-2017 09:45 AM

Here are pics of the harness. Have not had time for the install yet.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...eb2214a7ea.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5d2eee6bec.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...78963980bc.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...acab45f9f0.jpg

speederman 03-01-2017 09:56 AM

Termite,
Can you confirm the part number you've ordered from Porsche ?
I've just ordered 981.612.692.00

roders 03-01-2017 10:25 AM

Hi Guys,

All you are really interested in is the plug end which goes into the clock and the 4-wires coming from that.
You can cut off the rest as you just need to wire tap them into the cables behind your PCM.

speederman 03-01-2017 10:44 AM

Are they the same colors ? Easy to find ?

roders 03-01-2017 11:03 AM

Yes very easy.
Match the colours, there are 4 wires only.
12V+ (power)
Ground
CAN High
CAN Low

Connect them with wire taps and you are done :)

speederman 03-01-2017 12:30 PM

Ok, will have the harness tomorrow and will update here soon.
Thanks guys.

deilenberger 03-01-2017 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by roders (Post 13995265)
Yes very easy.
Match the colours, there are 4 wires only.
12V+ (power)
Ground
CAN High
CAN Low

Connect them with wire taps and you are done :)

I think a bit more cable may be needed to connect them up. The cable I got was around 30-32" in length. It is JUST long enough to get my hand behind the clock and connect or disconnect it after running the wires down to the PCM.

As far as connecting it - PLEASE use Positaps. You want 18-22 size ones. The old blue "Scotch Loc" connectors destroy the wires you're tapping into. They're absolutely awful to use on any motor vehicle. Positaps cost more - but are much gentler on the wiring.

And I'm curious about the actual clock connector shown. There doesn't seem to be a recess with the female receivers/connectors in them. Is there a cover over the end?

BTW - @roders - have you done this job on a Cayenne? I see you primarily post on a GT4..

speederman 03-17-2017 01:58 PM

Hello Guys,
Just to say thanks for your help. I installed succesfully the compass to my dashboard with the Porsche harness.
The only issue I had is that I needed coding with PIWIS tester to activate the compass.
All went fine at the end.

Thanks again.

deilenberger 03-17-2017 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by speederman (Post 14039442)
Hello Guys,
Just to say thanks for your help. I installed succesfully the compass to my dashboard with the Porsche harness.
The only issue I had is that I needed coding with PIWIS tester to activate the compass.
All went fine at the end.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear it worked for you. I may have activated my clock with my iCarScan - which can do some level of coding. Did you happen to take any photos of connecting up the wire behind the PCM?

speederman 03-22-2017 08:26 AM

Honestly no, I did not though of making photos but it is really intuitive, just to follow the colors from the original wire from the PCM.
The only real issue in the lenght from the Porsche wire which is too short. I had to make them longer to plug it to the compass.

deilenberger 03-22-2017 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by speederman (Post 14051374)
Honestly no, I did not though of making photos but it is really intuitive, just to follow the colors from the original wire from the PCM.
The only real issue in the lenght from the Porsche wire which is too short. I had to make them longer to plug it to the compass.

Exactly what I thought might be a problem with the Porsche wire. The Chinese one is just long enough. Another 2" would have been nice - but not necessary.

speederman 03-22-2017 04:27 PM

Chinese one disapeared from the market...

North Shore 911 07-22-2017 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 13799818)

Reviving this thread (again) ....

Don - how do you like having the clock installed on your dash? My 2012 Cayenne S doesn't have one and I've been increasingly obsessing about that fact the 2012 MY 958's SHOULD have a clock (and I think it looks cool...). Now that you've had yours for the last year+, are you happy with the addition? I'm looking for my next DIY project and with the detailed write up that you and others have provided this may be it. But before I dig in, I'm also wondering how you'd rate the DIY complexity, particularly given the funky wiring work.

Thanks for any thoughts to help me figure out if this is my next DIY project :p

deilenberger 07-22-2017 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by North Shore 911 (Post 14341503)
Reviving this thread (again) ....

Don - how do you like having the clock installed on your dash? My 2012 Cayenne S doesn't have one and I've been increasingly obsessing about that fact the 2012 MY 958's SHOULD have a clock (and I think it looks cool...). Now that you've had yours for the last year+, are you happy with the addition? I'm looking for my next DIY project and with the detailed write up that you and others have provided this may be it. But before I dig in, I'm also wondering how you'd rate the DIY complexity, particularly given the funky wiring work.

Thanks for any thoughts to help me figure out if this is my next DIY project :p

I like it. Had some friends (couple) in the P!G a week or two ago, wives were in the back. My friend commented how nice the thing was - and specifically mentioned the clock as being great because it's analog and easy to find/see.

It's not an awful DIY - it just requires getting to the wiring on the back of the PCM, and using the correct Positap connectors to splice into the data lines and power feed/ground. The rest of it is simple - you replace the central grille with one made for the clock, mount the clock in it, and plug it in once you've got the wiring in place.

It's certainly a bit pricey for a clock - but it's always amusing to watch the hands figure out where they're supposed to be when the computer wakes the car up.

North Shore 911 07-22-2017 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 14342047)
I like it. Had some friends (couple) in the P!G a week or two ago, wives were in the back. My friend commented how nice the thing was - and specifically mentioned the clock as being great because it's analog and easy to find/see.

It's not an awful DIY - it just requires getting to the wiring on the back of the PCM, and using the correct Positap connectors to splice into the data lines and power feed/ground. The rest of it is simple - you replace the central grille with one made for the clock, mount the clock in it, and plug it in once you've got the wiring in place.

It's certainly a bit pricey for a clock - but it's always amusing to watch the hands figure out where they're supposed to be when the computer wakes the car up.

Well, you've sold me. I just found and bought an analogue clock on E Bay for $160, have sourced a new dash cover with the clock housing from my local P Dealer, but I've hit a snag on the wiring harness. When I used your link to buy the harness from the Chinese guy, I was informed that this part is no longer available :banghead:. The P Dealer does have the Cayman harness and says that it will work (as it looks like Speederman, roders, and termite have), so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the Cayman harness and extend the wires .... Oh well, at least this project will keep me away from any other (more expensive) mods on my cars. The only good news on the Cayman wiring harness is that it's about a $35 part, so I'll just think of it as I've just saved $65 :)

Thanks to all for the great detail and write ups on this, I'll be sure to post up my results once I get everything in hand and knock this project out

North Shore 911 07-29-2017 01:06 PM

About to Install my Clock on my '12 Cayenne S...

So I've sourced all my parts: 1) OEM clock on EBay for $160 (with the second hand still attached, for now :thumbsup:), 2) OEM dash grille cover from the P Dealer for $161, 3) Cayman wiring harness from the P Dealer for $35, and 4) PosiTap connectors from Don for $11. All I need to do is clip the 2 unneseccary plug ends off the Cayman harness, strip out the unnecessary leads, and extend the 4 required wires before I yank out the PCM throw this all together .... hopefully I'll get this done this week, and I'll post up pics of the wiring while I have the PCM out.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d51fbc6729.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0f839045a0.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...119906a641.jpg

Thanks for Don, Roders and Speederman for all the helpful info, including the wiring pattern for the harness!

Boeing 717 07-29-2017 06:05 PM

Awesome, I have been wanting to do this.

North Shore 911 08-04-2017 10:45 AM

Succesful Installation of Dash Clock!

After receiving my PosiTap connectors from Amazon Prime on Wednesday (per Don's strong recommendation), I installed my dash clock last night. I have to say that with the CORRECT tools and the great instructions from Don, Roders and Speederman, this was a pretty straightforward process. I did YouTube "Cayenne Vent Removal" just to see how it's done, but other than that and following the wiring map from Roders this was pretty easy DIY. In fact, the Cayman wiring harness wiring colors matched up 100% with the Cayenne PCM harness, so that was even easier than I expected. With all the OEM pieces in hand (see my previous post), all I needed was some additional 18 gauge wire to extend the Cayman wiring harness, 4 PosiLocks to firmly connect the 18g wire to the 22g Cayman wires, 2 medium PosiTaps (to tap into the 22g PCM data lines) and 2 medium-large PosiTaps to tap into the 16g Power and Ground wires. For anyone doing this, the Posi products are a GREAT solution for this installation as they're easy to use and make a really great connection (both the locks and the taps). And DEFINITLEY use a big ass towel as Don suggested to cover the center console and shift assembly as the PCM is heavy and a bit awkward once you pull it out to work on the wiring harness.

Once I had everything wired up, I plugged in the clock and much to my delight I saw the clock hands swing around and set to the correct, PCM-matched time. Initially, I didn't get the additional "Time-Chrono" PCM menu item, but that appeared this morning after my commute in (about 35 minutes). The backlit feature works as well, so it's good to go and didn't require any additional menu selections. Here are a few pics of each step, including the wiring into the back of the PCM, plus the obligatory "Before & After" pics :biggulp:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e3ebc5f0fc.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...80cd8cf8c6.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...537c3f7037.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...853888ec15.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...de189cb4b4.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a76d3cadd7.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fb240d6e4e.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3320cfb755.jpg

deilenberger 08-04-2017 11:28 PM

Looks great, and glad to see the Cayman harness worked well, since it's cheaper than any other option I've seen.

:D

benchod 04-28-2018 02:01 PM

Hey guys, I found one of these clocks along with a cayenne key fob as scrap and would like to make re-purpose it and make a wooden piece around the clock and make it into a Porsche themed key holder/hanger. Just a cool little art piece. Does anyone have a wiring diagram and amperage specs in order to get this going off of 120 volt from the wall? Also I would love to be able to set the time if anyone knows it there is a way to manipulate it. If I understood correctly its controlled by the CAN bus in the vehicle and I wont be able to manipulate it. Any help would be awesome!
Thanks!

deilenberger 04-28-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 14973822)
Hey guys, I found one of these clocks along with a cayenne key fob as scrap and would like to make re-purpose it and make a wooden piece around the clock and make it into a Porsche themed key holder/hanger. Just a cool little art piece. Does anyone have a wiring diagram and amperage specs in order to get this going off of 120 volt from the wall? Also I would love to be able to set the time if anyone knows it there is a way to manipulate it. If I understood correctly its controlled by the CAN bus in the vehicle and I wont be able to manipulate it. Any help would be awesome!
Thanks!

The clock doesn't have a traditional clock mechanism in it - it's run by stepper motors that are controlled by the computer bus - so getting it working outside the vehicle will be about impossible unless you can reverse engineer the signals that are sent to it by the PCM. It gets its time from the PCM, which gets its time from the GPS signal (with manual compensation for time-zone.) Not a trivial thing.

At best it will make a nice decoration - but non-functional. If that isn't what you want - you might offer it up here for someone who has a broken one, or is looking to add one to their vehicle. Is the one you have the clock, or the stopwatch/clock?

benchod 04-28-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 14973847)
The clock doesn't have a traditional clock mechanism in it - it's run by stepper motors that are controlled by the computer bus - so getting it working outside the vehicle will be about impossible unless you can reverse engineer the signals that are sent to it by the PCM. It gets its time from the PCM, which gets its time from the GPS signal (with manual compensation for time-zone.) Not a trivial thing.

At best it will make a nice decoration - but non-functional. If that isn't what you want - you might offer it up here for someone who has a broken one, or is looking to add one to their vehicle. Is the one you have the clock, or the stopwatch/clock?

Wow that is a bummer. Its just the clock, same as pictured above. Do you have any articles on how its controlled? If its simpler to take the electronic guts out and take the face and put it on a quartz movement I may do that. Either way, its too beautiful of a piece to give up so easily on it! (Plus you cant beat free!)

deilenberger 04-28-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 14973900)
Wow that is a bummer. Its just the clock, same as pictured above. Do you have any articles on how its controlled? If its simpler to take the electronic guts out and take the face and put it on a quartz movement I may do that. Either way, its too beautiful of a piece to give up so easily on it! (Plus you cant beat free!)

I haven't seen any articles. And no idea if it would be possible to put in a different movement. Unlikely since most quartz movements don't have a face mounted second-hand below the center. And the hands are very unlikely to fit the quartz movement. Plus you would have buggered it up - even if it was free.

I'll repeat my suggestion - someone here can probably use the clock, and might be willing to offer you a handling/shipping fee. All you have to do is offer it for free (since you're not a paid member you can't list it "for-sale") and the clock will get used for what it was intended for.

akumatz 10-10-2018 12:07 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3ebed10dc.jpeg
Any one could advice me what are the power, ground, high can and low can of my harness please.

HI everyone I’m trying to DIY this dash clock project, I have bought a harness, but the problem is the color of what I bought different from the original Porsche color code, I have attached the harness picture, if there any one who has done this project cloud advice me what are the power, ground, high can and low can cable of my harness.

thanks so much for helping.

deilenberger 10-10-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by akumatz (Post 15349734)

Any one could advice me what are the power, ground, high can and low can of my harness please.

HI everyone I’m trying to DIY this dash clock project, I have bought a harness, but the problem is the color of what I bought different from the original Porsche color code, I have attached the harness picture, if there any one who has done this project cloud advice me what are the power, ground, high can and low can cable of my harness.

thanks so much for helping.

Red is +, brown is always ground (-) on any German car. Here is the diagram:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...964356ce58.jpg

The wiring for the compass, sport-clock and normal clock are all the same.

akumatz 10-10-2018 07:10 PM

Thanks so much for helping Deilen.

akumatz 11-18-2018 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15350650)
Red is +, brown is always ground (-) on any German car. Here is the diagram:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...964356ce58.jpg

The wiring for the compass, sport-clock and normal clock are all the same.

hi I have just installed my clock, but the time of the clock doesn’t follow the exact time, it’s 5 pm at my place now, but the clock is show at 12, is there any one know why would this happened?
thanks a lot

deilenberger 11-18-2018 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by akumatz (Post 15438479)

hi I have just installed my clock, but the time of the clock doesn’t follow the exact time, it’s 5 pm at my place now, but the clock is show at 12, is there any one know why would this happened?
thanks a lot

I seem to recall having to enable the clock on my turbo.. I may have done that with my iCarScan diagnostics tool... or it might be a setting under vehicle settings on the PCM. And I think you need to set the time zone for your vehicle in the PCM..

akumatz 11-18-2018 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15438554)
I seem to recall having to enable the clock on my turbo.. I may have done that with my iCarScan diagnostics tool... or it might be a setting under vehicle settings on the PCM. And I think you need to set the time zone for your vehicle in the PCM..

thanks for replying, i bought this second clock from China, it’s the exact time different between China and New Zealand, I have changed the GMT+12 to where I’m living but the dash clock still 5 hour behind. Maybe the dash clock has been programmed to follow the China GMT time? Do you know is there any how I can change it?

deilenberger 11-18-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by akumatz (Post 15438567)

thanks for replying, i bought this second clock from China, it’s the exact time different between China and New Zealand, I have changed the GMT+12 to where I’m living but the dash clock still 5 hour behind. Maybe the dash clock has been programmed to follow the China GMT time? Do you know is there any how I can change it?

There is no programming within the clock itself that I know of. When you power on and the clock does it's dance - do both hands end up @ 12 before heading back to indicate the time? I'm uncertain if the hour hand is actually indexed to the hour, or simply set XX hours from the 12 noon calibration position on startup. If I could figure out how to video it on my car (since I think it does it when the door is opened) I'd show you what I mean.. Let me go look..

Just tried - the clock starts it's dance when the door opens. I've left a window down so maybe I can catch it once the car goes to sleep again.

akumatz 11-19-2018 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15439234)
There is no programming within the clock itself that I know of. When you power on and the clock does it's dance - do both hands end up @ 12 before heading back to indicate the time? I'm uncertain if the hour hand is actually indexed to the hour, or simply set XX hours from the 12 noon calibration position on startup. If I could figure out how to video it on my car (since I think it does it when the door is opened) I'd show you what I mean.. Let me go look..

Just tried - the clock starts it's dance when the door opens. I've left a window down so maybe I can catch it once the car goes to sleep again.

Thanks for doing this, does your clock back to 12 when the car sleep? I see mine is staying at 7pm when the car goes sleep.I'm thinking is there some thing relating with the gps signal? I don’t have NAV in my car because I imported it from uk to nz.

deilenberger 11-19-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by akumatz (Post 15440449)

Thanks for doing this, does your clock back to 12 when the car sleep? I see mine is staying at 7pm when the car goes sleep.I'm thinking is there some thing relating with the gps signal? I don’t have NAV in my car because I imported it from uk to nz.

No - it does the 12 o'clock thing on car boot-up.. it just stops whatever the time is when the computers shut down about 15 minutes after the last access to the car.

akumatz 11-20-2018 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15442471)
No - it does the 12 o'clock thing on car boot-up.. it just stops whatever the time is when the computers shut down about 15 minutes after the last access to the car.

the funny things is my one always back to 7 o’clock when the car goes to sleep, maybe there is something wrong wiv the clock I got.

deilenberger 11-20-2018 01:29 AM

Have you tried moving the hour hand manually (clock disconnected of course) - it's on a stepper motor independent from the minute hand I think. I believe mine was 1 hour off when I first installed it..

akumatz 11-21-2018 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15442881)
Have you tried moving the hour hand manually (clock disconnected of course) - it's on a stepper motor independent from the minute hand I think. I believe mine was 1 hour off when I first installed it..

Do I need to open the back of the clock to move the hour hand..if so maybe I will just leave it like this till when I able to get a new one in the future..many thanks for helping me a lot.

deilenberger 11-21-2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by akumatz (Post 15445500)

Do I need to open the back of the clock to move the hour hand..if so maybe I will just leave it like this till when I able to get a new one in the future..many thanks for helping me a lot.

No - the front bezel/glass unscrews. It's easier to do if you remove the clock from the panel it's mounted in - and that only takes about 5 minutes to do.

akumatz 11-22-2018 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15446933)
No - the front bezel/glass unscrews. It's easier to do if you remove the clock from the panel it's mounted in - and that only takes about 5 minutes to do.

Finally it works, I have turned the hour hand manually, now I can see the clock dance correctly. Thanks so much for helping me all of these..

deilenberger 11-22-2018 12:56 PM

Glad to have been of help! Happy chrono!

Samer Al-Wakeel 11-23-2018 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by North Shore 911 (Post 14372074)
After receiving my PosiTap connectors from Amazon Prime on Wednesday (per Don's strong recommendation), I installed my dash clock last night. I have to say that with the CORRECT tools and the great instructions from Don, Roders and Speederman, this was a pretty straightforward process. I did YouTube "Cayenne Vent Removal" just to see how it's done, but other than that and following the wiring map from Roders this was pretty easy DIY. In fact, the Cayman wiring harness wiring colors matched up 100% with the Cayenne PCM harness, so that was even easier than I expected. With all the OEM pieces in hand (see my previous post), all I needed was some additional 18 gauge wire to extend the Cayman wiring harness, 4 PosiLocks to firmly connect the 18g wire to the 22g Cayman wires, 2 medium PosiTaps (to tap into the 22g PCM data lines) and 2 medium-large PosiTaps to tap into the 16g Power and Ground wires. For anyone doing this, the Posi products are a GREAT solution for this installation as they're easy to use and make a really great connection (both the locks and the taps). And DEFINITLEY use a big ass towel as Don suggested to cover the center console and shift assembly as the PCM is heavy and a bit awkward once you pull it out to work on the wiring harness.

Once I had everything wired up, I plugged in the clock and much to my delight I saw the clock hands swing around and set to the correct, PCM-matched time. Initially, I didn't get the additional "Time-Chrono" PCM menu item, but that appeared this morning after my commute in (about 35 minutes). The backlit feature works as well, so it's good to go and didn't require any additional menu selections. Here are a few pics of each step, including the wiring into the back of the PCM, plus the obligatory "Before & After" pics :biggulp:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e3ebc5f0fc.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...80cd8cf8c6.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...537c3f7037.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...853888ec15.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...de189cb4b4.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a76d3cadd7.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fb240d6e4e.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3320cfb755.jpg

hi
i just followed this procedure step by step but the back light did not work any idea how to fix it

deilenberger 11-24-2018 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Samer Al-Wakeel (Post 15450927)

hi
i just followed this procedure step by step but the back light did not work any idea how to fix it

The compass (aka clock actually) has to be enabled. I seem to recall using iCarScan to do that - but it might have been in the PCM menu. Until I did that there was no lighting on the clock.

Samer Al-Wakeel 11-25-2018 01:32 PM

Hello,

thank you Don for your support. however, could you please give me more details about iCarScan cause i don't know what is it and how can i do it on my cayenne 958.

Also, is it possible to do the required aka enabling using normal diagnostic computers available on specialized Porsche dealers (work shops). If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thank you once again.

deilenberger 11-25-2018 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Samer Al-Wakeel (Post 15453430)
Hello,

thank you Don for your support. however, could you please give me more details about iCarScan cause i don't know what is it and how can i do it on my cayenne 958.

Also, is it possible to do the required aka enabling using normal diagnostic computers available on specialized Porsche dealers (work shops). If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thank you once again.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ble-again.html

I can't speak about other brand diagnostic computers since I haven't had them to play with. I'm sure the computer (PIWIS) the Porsche dealer has is capable of doing this.

javitor52x 11-26-2018 07:08 PM

good can someone pass me the electrical diagram of the picture of this same bcm car and the contact key? I dedicate myself to the repair of modules and I need to try it on a table is possible ?? Thanks for the help

deilenberger 11-27-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by javitor52x (Post 15456032)
good can someone pass me the electrical diagram of the picture of this same bcm car and the contact key? I dedicate myself to the repair of modules and I need to try it on a table is possible ?? Thanks for the help

I'm not sure what you're asking for. "bcm"? car? Contact key? The overall electrical diagrams for Cayennes encompass well over 100 pages.

Samer Al-Wakeel 11-29-2018 10:07 AM

Clock Light Activation.

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15453648)
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ble-again.html

I can't speak about other brand diagnostic computers since I haven't had them to play with. I'm sure the computer (PIWIS) the Porsche dealer has is capable of doing this.

Thank you Don for your usual support.
i would appreciate your usual support providing me with how to do the clock enabling step by step using iCarScan.

Samer Al-Wakeel 12-23-2018 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Samer Al-Wakeel (Post 15450927)

hi

Hello,

can anybody please help me to get the time - chrono option since i have followed this procedure and still i don't have this option and the clock back light is not working as well. Also, i tried to reprogram the car using PIWIS but unfortunately the back light works only during test.

can any one help me how to get it done please.

F SANE IL 09-20-2019 01:16 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Just got to doing this wiring today. Have had the clock sitting inside the panel dead for about 2 weeks now.

Anyway, first off.... thank you to everyone who put effort in describing wires and the cayman harness. Also, the wires to which to tap into.

I ended up reusing the rest of the wires from the cayman harness to extend the wires. Then the porsche cloth loom to cover them nicely. Also, I opted to cut, strip, solder and shrink all my connections. Then closed it all up in the same cloth loom.

Lastly... I powered ignition, turned off ignition, took out key, turned on ignition again and the clock was recognized. No coding needed. The backlight is a bit low, but maybe that's how it is. I can clearly see the arrows.

Adding some pics for fun. But i think this should be a DIY sticky. I can write one up if it will get its place in DIY section. LMK .

deilenberger 09-20-2019 02:43 PM

When I first installed mine - it worked - but didn't really light up. I found a setting I could change either in the PCM menu, or more likely in an iCarScan menu, probably under the instrument cluster.

It would be great to have a DIY - but a bit more info is needed in your posting to qualify, and some editing:

1. Photos shouldn't be more than 1024 pixels wide. Resizing is a good thing.
2. There should be a caption or header for each photo so we know what we're looking at.
3. There should be some text saying "Then I did XYZ with this result.." sort of thing. Best added to photos illustrating doing XYZ..
4. Tools needed and sources for the materials used (clock, the clock mount, the wiring harness in particular..)

Would love to see a DIY that could be copied over to the DIY subforum.

JohnsonAV 09-20-2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 16117573)
When I first installed mine - it worked - but didn't really light up. I found a setting I could change either in the PCM menu, or more likely in an iCarScan menu, probably under the instrument cluster.

It would be great to have a DIY - but a bit more info is needed in your posting to qualify, and some editing:

2. There should be a caption or header for each photo so we know what we're looking at.
3. There should be some text saying "Then I did XYZ with this result.." sort of thing. Best added to photos illustrating doing XYZ..
4. Tools needed and sources for the materials used (clock, the clock mount, the wiring harness in particular..)

I would also include years, versions of 957 and options/packages required that this works for (ex. 2012 Diesel - premium plus package). +1 for a DIY sticky

deilenberger 09-20-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JohnsonAV (Post 16117607)
I would also include years, versions of 957 and options/packages required that this works for (ex. 2012 Diesel - premium plus package). +1 for a DIY sticky

I'm not sure any reference to the 957 series would apply since they didn't use this clock. It should actually apply to all PCM equipped 958 models.

JohnsonAV 09-20-2019 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 16117912)
I'm not sure any reference to the 957 series would apply since they didn't use this clock. It should actually apply to all PCM equipped 958 models.

My bad, 958 is what I meant...

F SANE IL 09-24-2019 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 16117573)

Figured it all out with the lighting, I'll try work on the DYI tomorrow. Should o make a new post called DYI 958 Dash Clock Install or just work on modify current post with all the correct info?

deilenberger 09-24-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 16124569)
Figured it all out with the lighting, I'll try work on the DYI tomorrow. Should o make a new post called DYI 958 Dash Clock Install or just work on modify current post with all the correct info?

Really your choice. If it's in this thread, I'll make a copy with all the extra comments removed. If a new thread - you might post at the top of it PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.. to keep the comments from even starting.

Thanks!

Quadcammer 10-21-2019 01:44 PM

just ordered all the stuff for this.

How did you manipulate the lighting?

thanks.

F SANE IL 10-21-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 16180632)

thanks.

Need to enable chrono on dash. Also raised light level.

F SANE IL 10-21-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 16180632)

thanks.

I hope you picked up that $150 clock posted on here in the morning. What a sweet deal for an almost new part.

Where did you sing the dash trim? Hope you didnt buy new..... I paid all of $30

JPJRJR70 10-21-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 16181224)
I hope you picked up that $150 clock posted on here in the morning. What a sweet deal for an almost new part.

He did! Jumped on it quickly!! Mailed out today! Jose

Quadcammer 10-21-2019 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 16181224)

I have espresso trim, so had to buy new, was the cheapest i could find.

Thanks jose.

F SANE IL 10-22-2019 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 16181771)
I have espresso trim, so had to buy new, was the cheapest i could find.

Thanks jose.

Ouch. Oh well..... you win some, you lose some. At least you got a really nice clock.

My recommendation on the wiring, if you can solder, do it. You get best results and it looks nice too. Also get yourself that cloth wire loom. It's a few bucks and definitely makes it factory look as well as keep wires tidy.

8202632 10-22-2019 10:18 PM

When it comes to electronics I’m a moron so excuse the dumb question. If u buy the harness why do u need to splice wiring? Is it not plug and play?

F SANE IL 10-22-2019 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 8202632 (Post 16184065)
When it comes to electronics I’m a moron so excuse the dumb question. If u buy the harness why do u need to splice wiring? Is it not plug and play?

Has nothing to do with your electronics experience, just this particular modification.....

There isn't a real plug/play harness for the Cayenne for this mod. The harness required just happens to be correct to plug into the clock. It's a harness that is made for the Cayman I believe... since it doesn't just plug in but still needs to talk to the PCM, you need to cut, extend and connect to specific wires in the back of the PCM.

8202632 10-22-2019 10:58 PM

Makes sense! Thank u!

ddx77 10-24-2019 08:37 PM

Panamera Clock Install

This thread is incredible, thanks to all that contributed.

My question is do you think the install will also work on a 2012 Panamera? I've got the clock, just working on the other two items.

Thanks in advance!

Drew

So guys, thank everyone again who helped with this thread, I know my install was for a Panamera but couldn't have done it without this thread.

I bought the clock on Ebay it was new for $200, the dash trim on Ebay for $100 and the wiring harness (part# 981-612-692-00 wiring harness) from Porsche $38 with the PCA discount.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...795cd9ab19.jpg

F SANE IL 10-24-2019 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ddx77 (Post 16188389)
This thread is incredible, thanks to all that contributed.

My question is do you think the install will also work on a 2012 Panamera? I've got the clock, just working on the other two items.

Thanks in advance!

Drew

i can't confirm since these cars are sometimes same in certain things, yet so different in other items.

I would assume that this is the same though

kvec 11-03-2019 08:53 PM

Quick PSA, for anyone looking to order a clock, DO NOT buy from 2040-parts.com. Quick Google search reveals it’s a scam. As Don said, “at your own risk.” Luckily the “identical picture to the eBay listing” caught my eye and I did a little more digging before getting *too* interested.

Ken

coffeeisgood 11-04-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by North Shore 911 (Post 14372074)

what I found notable here is you did not have to activate any module / work with a dealer to activate once you had all the parts successfully installed ?

Sport Chrono on multi-function display
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nction-display

Quadcammer 11-04-2019 06:17 PM

got this done over the weekend. Pretty easy in the grand scheme but a bit fiddly. Works nice, looks great. Good mod if you can do it on the cheap.

F SANE IL 11-06-2019 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by kvec (Post 16208802)
Quick PSA, for anyone looking to order a clock, DO NOT buy from 2040-parts.com. Quick Google search reveals it’s a scam. As Don said, “at your own risk.” Luckily the “identical picture to the eBay listing” caught my eye and I did a little more digging before getting *too* interested.

Ken

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a cable for $100????

Order the 911 harness ship it to me and I'll solder the longer wires for you free. This is absolutely stupid and off the wall ripoff sh!t.

deilenberger 11-07-2019 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 16213551)
Why would anyone in their right mind buy a cable for $100????

Order the 911 harness ship it to me and I'll solder the longer wires for you free. This is absolutely stupid and off the wall ripoff sh!t.

Not sure which 911 harness you're referring to - but the one people have been using is the one for the boxster/cayman (probably 987 series).. it was an add-on if you wanted and you had sport-chrono/sport-plus.

The reason people bought the $100 one is - the knowledge about the boxster/cayman one wasn't widely known until maybe 2 years ago or so... and the Chinese source appeared to be the only source of that connector.

F SANE IL 11-07-2019 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 16215517)
Not sure which 911 harness you're referring to - but the one people have been using is the one for the boxster/cayman (probably 987 series).. it was an add-on if you wanted and you had sport-chrono/sport-plus.

The reason people bought the $100 one is - the knowledge about the boxster/cayman one wasn't widely known until maybe 2 years ago or so... and the Chinese source appeared to be the only source of that connector.

You're right, that's what I meant... cayman types this up last time half asleep.

deilenberger 11-07-2019 01:28 PM

I've thought about adding a sport-chrono stopwatch to my 987.2 Boxster since I have Sport-Plus (was added by the former owner).. but not certain that there is a clock signal on the CANBUS.. since the stock center display unit (it wasn't PCM equipped) was removed when an aftermarket system was installed. I'll have to look for the CANBUS wires next time I have the headunit out. That might encourage me to do it. I have the stop-watch/clock just sitting around. A Porsche service manager had it sitting on his desk (it was one with the second-hand off of course) - I saw it - and he gave it to me (treating service personnel right pays off in the long run..)

coffeeisgood 11-08-2019 01:35 PM

illuminated clock ? additional pushbuttons ?

for the 958's there was 3 different analog clock options: (4 if you count it removed)

QR3 Analog clock on dashboard
QR4 Sport Chrono package
QR5 Sport Chrono Package Plus

two questions:
1) what control panel with pushbuttons did these other options add? (I see the p/n's) but can someone explain / provide pictures of what they were?
2) can someone provide a "picture" of your analog clock illuminated ? (not the setting to toggle the light on / off but a picture of the actual clock lit up)

apthous 11-30-2019 08:18 AM

Dash clock doesn’t sync with PCM

Hi all, would like to consult u all bout the dashclock upgrade on my cayenne.

I have followed the DIY instruction as per post. 4 cables with 2 CAN signals and 2 Voltage cable connected from Dashcam to back of PCM.

I have triggered the dash function of chrono in my instrument cluster. The clock does show exact the same time on my PCM when i freshly plug in.

the time lagged overtime randomly as my car goes shutdown. From mins to hours.

when I does the disconnect n connect plug at back of dashclock, it showed the time right again, but lagged out after d car goes off again.

My backlight of clock does function normally, can be on n off via instrument cluster with the tick of “Time-Chrono”

Chrono function in my instrument cluster does function but my clock does not respond to it

my clock doesn’t wind like all others mentioned here when I open n close my door.

I wonder what it could be wrong here?

I only have the 4 cables connect from DashClock to back of PCM

deilenberger 12-01-2019 12:04 AM

OK - it sounds like it's behaving exactly like it should. When you turn the car off, and 15 minutes after the last door is closed - the car's computers go into sleep mode. The clock stops running. When you open the door - you'll see the hands on the clock spin around to the correct time. I'm guessing this is what you're trying to describe.

If that isn't how it's behaving you need to post a clearer description of what it's doing wrong. None of the clocks "wind" when the door is opened/closed. It just sets itself (after a silly hand-dance) to the correct time when the computer systems in the car are brought back to life by opening the door.

apthous 12-01-2019 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 16261644)
OK - it sounds like it's behaving exactly like it should. When you turn the car off, and 15 minutes after the last door is closed - the car's computers go into sleep mode. The clock stops running. When you open the door - you'll see the hands on the clock spin around to the correct time. I'm guessing this is what you're trying to describe.

If that isn't how it's behaving you need to post a clearer description of what it's doing wrong. None of the clocks "wind" when the door is opened/closed. It just sets itself (after a silly hand-dance) to the correct time when the computer systems in the car are brought back to life by opening the door.

Yes. It doesn’t Sync ( clock-dance ) when car is unlocked after the shutdown.

it does it’s first dance only when I connect the dashclock to the PCM.

I will get a correct time by disconnect n connect the back part of dash clock.

F SANE IL 12-01-2019 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by apthous (Post 16261786)
Yes. It doesn’t Sync ( clock-dance ) when car is unlocked after the shutdown.

it does it’s first dance only when I connect the dashclock to the PCM.

I will get a correct time by disconnect n connect the back part of dash clock.

Just random guess.... either wiring has bad connection or clock itself is bad. Did you use those taps or actually make a nice connection soldering at back of PCM?

apthous 12-01-2019 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 16261825)
Just random guess.... either wiring has bad connection or clock itself is bad. Did you use those taps or actually make a nice connection soldering at back of PCM?

hmmm... I actually have this CarPlay device mod into my PCM. I wonder if perhaps when computer is shut off, this device still have some voltage in that doesn’t fully cut off the electric supply to the dash clock.

the CarPlay device has an extension at the back of PCM.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e10ecad4e.jpeg

deilenberger 12-01-2019 03:58 PM

Perhaps disconnecting the CarPlay device might be a first troubleshooting test.

apthous 12-02-2019 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 16262804)
Perhaps disconnecting the CarPlay device might be a first troubleshooting test.

I haven’t disconnect the device, but I have done a several other testing that including marking the time difference between my PCM and dash clock

it’s quite a stable at a time difference of 3Hours 13mins.

may I know if I can open up the clock bezel and wind it manually. How hard is it to remove the clock bezel?
do I have to unplug the cable?

if I do unplug the cable? The time will follow my PCM correctly again.

F SANE IL 12-02-2019 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by apthous (Post 16261910)
hmmm... I actually have this CarPlay device mod into my PCM. I wonder if perhaps when computer is shut off, this device still have some voltage in that doesn’t fully cut off the electric supply to the dash clock.

the CarPlay device has an extension at the back of PCM.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e10ecad4e.jpeg

I meant bad connection from clock to PCM wires

F SANE IL 12-02-2019 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by apthous (Post 16263813)
I haven’t disconnect the device, but I have done a several other testing that including marking the time difference between my PCM and dash clock

it’s quite a stable at a time difference of 3Hours 13mins.

may I know if I can open up the clock bezel and wind it manually. How hard is it to remove the clock bezel?
do I have to unplug the cable?

if I do unplug the cable? The time will follow my PCM correctly again.

I wouldn't recommend messing up the clock mechanism. Took mine apart when the seconds hand fell off... when you take out the clock, twist the front counter clockwise. Twists off like a cap from pickled goods. To pull the insides out you need to remove two screws in the back. Make sure you align the plastic ring when returning the clock glass cover back on.

deilenberger 12-02-2019 11:30 PM

The hands on the clock are not gear driven. They're driven by stepper motors. The hour hand does not auto-index, so if your clock is off 3 hours consistently - the hour hand isn't correctly indexed. How to fix? Remove the bezel (you can probably do this without even removing the clock from the dash, but I'd suggest removing it. Keep it plugged in so you can see how far off it is. Unplug it and move the hands to the correct position. Plug it back in. It should be fixed. Reassembly is the reverse of... blah, blah, blah.

FWIW - we do have a Do-It-Yourself Cayenne subforum. In that subforum is a DIY on replacing the second hand. It shows how to remove and disassemble the clock. Dog helps those who help themselves - spend some time in the DIY forum before coming back with questions that have already been answered.

Thanks!

Porsche.021 01-16-2020 01:02 PM

Chrono

Hi
i have porsche boxster 987.2
my boxster have not chronograph i wanna install this option on my car , im in iran country and here is no expert . Please help me , i bought the chrono kit : retrofit and ...
please answer me i need your help🙏🌷 , even if u have any wiring plan it can help me .
my gmail : parihossein24@gmail.com
thanks , have a great day

2011Turbo 03-24-2020 01:42 AM

Chrono dash clock

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and have I believe to be a simple question. I've read all the data about the installation of the chrono clock. But I cant seem to find what is the exact model number of the clock you all are using. I called Porsche which told me my 2011 can only use this number: 95864150107 which is hard to find. Can anyone advise me on the proper clock part number. Thanks in advance. 2011Turbo

Quadcammer 03-24-2020 10:45 AM

I have a 2011 and used a clock from either a 2016 or 2017 turbo, works perfectly, so I'd say the Porsche is full of it.

2011Turbo 03-24-2020 12:14 PM

Thank you for the response. I believe you! I have called around to different Porsche and they say either it cant be done because my 2011 Porsche cayenne turbo did not come with it from the factory. Or I have to find a particular clock number that it seems dont exist anymore: 95864150107

8202632 06-25-2020 12:04 AM

Anyone tried his on a 991.1??

andy matthews 05-11-2021 04:41 PM

Help :(

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

so I invested in an expensive dash clock etc

its wired in and all good

Problem 1

I don’t have the CHRONO TIME option on my dash clock (pic attached)

Problem 2

I brought the car to my local dealership to code in and they returned the car and told me ‘it could not be done’ I needed some sort of module ?? And charged be €200 for the pleasure :(

I’ve read through this forum in detail and there are some issues like mine but not all apply
would appreciate any help / guidance
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d0c0d8ead.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...83eda2bf1.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a6f91ce65.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...690d31b15.jpeg
- thanks

deilenberger 05-11-2021 08:16 PM

The dealership is playing dumb or is dumb. Ask them for a further explanation. My point is - it's doable.

Found my writeup: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l - which may be specific to the 2011 model year. It appears the presence of the CAN bus signal to the clock was enough to enable it. Then I just had to sort out the lighting once the "chrono" menu appeared in the settings on the car.

Question - how was the wiring spliced into the factory harness? There is a "CAN-High" and "CAN-Low" on the can-bus. I believe the polarity has to be right. If it's wrong the clock may simply not be visible to the car.

schernov 05-11-2021 08:39 PM

Sport chrono

So there are three things in play here

1. physical installation. Let's assume you did it right

2. you need FSC enablement code. If you want one officially - dealer has to order it via parts catalog. Then dealer sends request to the mothership (or your regional HQ) with order confirmation and VIN to get the FSC enablement code. 24 hours later it arrives and should be available in PIWIS for your car.
3. Dealer codes the option to the car. If mothership did everything right - the new "sport chrono" option will be in the appropriate screen as selectable and can be written to the car. Once that is done, all modules are selected and recoded to accept it.

alternatively - you can pay this chap in Russia $100 and he will send you the FSC code via email. https://www.code-porsche.com/
you then take it to the dealer or a workshop which has Piwis2 or Piwis3 and 1) add the sport chrono feature to the car. 2) code all modules and 3) add the enablement FSC code.

if you go official way, Porsche will have a record of you adding the option and if something happens later will always recode it back. If you go thru Russian chap, you will have to code it back of your car gets fully flashed (e.g. for a recall) and you unofficial option gets blown away.

I just had my dealer install UN1 "online services aka AHA radio". And thats what the TSB said to do. In US- PCNA HQ in Atlanta issues the codes. Overnight.
Russian chap is very responsive. PayPal payment and you have the code.

deilenberger 05-11-2021 11:56 PM

@schernov - are things different in the intro year car (2011)? I don't recall doing anything to enable the clock, it seems when I connected it the car saw it as an auxiliary instrument - I seem to recall a "compass".. and it just worked. I did have to turn the lighting on - but the clock setting menu included a toggle for the lighting. I know I didn't pay a dealer to install a code enabling the clock, and I seem to remember several other people who've added the clock had the same experience. Most of us wanted something useful on the dash, like a clock anyone in the vehicle could see and read, not the useless stopwatch.

schernov 05-12-2021 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 17424522)
@schernov - are things different in the intro year car (2011)? I don't recall doing anything to enable the clock, it seems when I connected it the car saw it as an auxiliary instrument - I seem to recall a "compass".. and it just worked. I did have to turn the lighting on - but the clock setting menu included a toggle for the lighting. I know I didn't pay a dealer to install a code enabling the clock, and I seem to remember several other people who've added the clock had the same experience. Most of us wanted something useful on the dash, like a clock anyone in the vehicle could see and read, not the useless stopwatch.

I think the clock is just plug and play but sport chrono is a an option.

I have a clock in my car and it is a discrete option which shows up in PIWIS. But does not require enablement code.

Quadcammer 05-12-2021 12:38 PM

I did this on my 2011 also and no coding was required. Check your wiring work maybe.

andy matthews 05-12-2021 06:12 PM

Factory option or not .. ??

thanks for all the responses guys .. much appreciated

So after further investigation does anyone know if the dash clock was or wasn’t an option on some Cayennes ?

If it wasn’t maybe the situation is that I am wasting my money and time trying to install this ?

deilenberger 05-12-2021 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by andy matthews (Post 17426204)
thanks for all the responses guys .. much appreciated

So after further investigation does anyone know if the dash clock was or wasn’t an option on some Cayennes ?

If it wasn’t maybe the situation is that I am wasting my money and time trying to install this ?

It actually was not an option as far as I know on the 2011 intro model Cayenne. The compass however was, and went in the same place and used the same wiring.

As suggested - check your wiring. Try reversing the CAN-bus connections to the existing wiring harness (assume you used Positaps - which make this a snap to do..)

kvec 05-13-2021 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 17426358)
It actually was not an option as far as I know on the 2011 intro model Cayenne. The compass however was, and went in the same place and used the same wiring.

As suggested - check your wiring. Try reversing the CAN-bus connections to the existing wiring harness (assume you used Positaps - which make this a snap to do..)

Like a few others here, I retrofitted the clock onto the dash of my 2011 CTT. Worked right away. It looks like you have the chrono, though, not the standard clock. Do we have examples of people who've had success retrofitting that one?

andy matthews 05-13-2021 03:00 PM

Good question .. ultimately all I want is the damn clock working .. I’m not interested in the sports chrono bit ..

btw I fully rewired it today and I am 100% confident it was and is correct ..

deilenberger 05-13-2021 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by andy matthews (Post 17428182)
Good question .. ultimately all I want is the damn clock working .. I’m not interested in the sports chrono bit ..

btw I fully rewired it today and I am 100% confident it was and is correct ..

Just out of curiosity - did you try reversing the canbus connections?

andy matthews 05-13-2021 05:22 PM

I tried that and didn’t work

I found this site : https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/958/

and this

Porsche Cayenne 958 (92A, E2) MY2011-2018 equipment codes

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/fa1cf17e-7aa7-48f3-8a89-64fdda0834fc[/img]

andy matthews 05-13-2021 05:23 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd9071fd0.jpeg

PMC1977FR 08-22-2021 07:30 AM

Same issues

Originally Posted by andy matthews (Post 17423651)
Hi guys,

so I invested in an expensive dash clock etc

its wired in and all good

Problem 1

I don’t have the CHRONO TIME option on my dash clock (pic attached)

Problem 2

I brought the car to my local dealership to code in and they returned the car and told me ‘it could not be done’ I needed some sort of module ?? And charged be €200 for the pleasure :(

I’ve read through this forum in detail and there are some issues like mine but not all apply
would appreciate any help / guidance
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d0c0d8ead.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...83eda2bf1.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a6f91ce65.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...690d31b15.jpeg
- thanks

hello gentlemen,

Let me introduce myself : My name is Pierre-Marie and I'm French and I'm happy owner of one Porsche Cayenne 2013 V6 Diesel….
Then I have recently installed a stopwatch on my dashboard but I have the same issue like your description here
I plugged it in and turned on the ignition... the needles moved slightly for a second and then nothing. I proceeded to an automatic coding with my piwis and there is no error but it does not work…
It is recognized by the piwi and there are no errors ( any errors with the PCM , Cluster of instrument or gateway )
Anyone had an idea to help ?

many thanks

F SANE IL 08-23-2021 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by PMC1977FR (Post 17621897)
hello gentlemen,

Let me introduce myself : My name is Pierre-Marie and I'm French and I'm happy owner of one Porsche Cayenne 2013 V6 Diesel….
Then I have recently installed a stopwatch on my dashboard but I have the same issue like your description here
I plugged it in and turned on the ignition... the needles moved slightly for a second and then nothing. I proceeded to an automatic coding with my piwis and there is no error but it does not work…
It is recognized by the piwi and there are no errors ( any errors with the PCM , Cluster of instrument or gateway )
Anyone had an idea to help ?

many thanks

In the cluster, do custom or manual coding... forget what it's called and enable the watch/compass using your piwis

PMC1977FR 08-23-2021 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 17624172)
In the cluster, do custom or manual coding... forget what it's called and enable the watch/compass using your piwis

many thank, i appreciate so much

i will try - just a quick question : how to enable the watch with piwi there is an option to activate that one ?

PMC1977FR 08-23-2021 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 17624172)

so i tried a manuel and automatic coding in cluster and stopwatch but nothing…move
i don’t understand why this one doesn’t work…
it is recognised and active but i think i missed a step to actived this one…
when i try some actions in control with it, all fonctions work… light, needle move and autotest it’s ok….
i tried too, f7 menu —> maintenance of véhicule—-> f12 twice —> and i tried to change value in compas/watch —> QR1 to QR4 sport chrono package but piwis ask a code… i paid a code to the russian chap but it’s work it with pcm… but not for activate QR4…i tried QR3 ( analog watch ) but this daim watch doesn’t work….
i’m lost…

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b5623c5dd.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d17f49333.jpeg

F SANE IL 08-24-2021 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by PMC1977FR (Post 17624952)
so i tried a manuel and automatic coding in cluster and stopwatch but nothing…move
i don’t understand why this one doesn’t work…
it is recognised and active but i think i missed a step to actived this one…
when i try some actions in control with it, all fonctions work… light, needle move and autotest it’s ok….
i tried too, f7 menu —> maintenance of véhicule—-> f12 twice —> and i tried to change value in compas/watch —> QR1 to QR4 sport chrono package but piwis ask a code… i paid a code to the russian chap but it’s work it with pcm… but not for activate QR4…i tried QR3 ( analog watch ) but this daim watch doesn’t work….
i’m lost…

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b5623c5dd.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d17f49333.jpeg

As I recall, I went into hidden programming or manual. Sorry I don't remember exactly wording.

Umber 08-25-2021 01:32 AM

Don't know if this would help you, or if you already have found this, but here's a thread about sport chrono activation on 981.. Would imagine it would be very similar on the Cayenne.
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ware-side.html

And here is how you enter developer (engineer) mode in piwis. If it appears to be needed?? I don't have PIWIS myself, so can't test things out.
http://www.piwis-tester-2.com/how-to...eveloper-mode/

PMC1977FR 09-04-2021 09:16 AM

Fresh update !!! it's works

Originally Posted by Umber (Post 17627924)
Don't know if this would help you, or if you already have found this, but here's a thread about sport chrono activation on 981.. Would imagine it would be very similar on the Cayenne.
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ware-side.html

And here is how you enter developer (engineer) mode in piwis. If it appears to be needed?? I don't have PIWIS myself, so can't test things out.
http://www.piwis-tester-2.com/how-to...eveloper-mode/

Hello Guys ,

just in few words… with the piwis on f7 menu (additional menu) maintenance of véhicule and then f12 twice, select the compas option and turn this one from QR0 to QR3 ( analogic watch on dash) and then go back to overview select pcm, cluster of instruments and additional watch and go to coding and select automatic coding… then the clock is awaken

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...40e694f0b.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2218332e7.jpeg

VasylMacan 10-02-2021 10:25 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4b2b9e25d.jpeg
Good afternoon, I want to try to put the watch (sport chrono) on the Macan from the cayenne E3. But there are 3 pins and not 6 as in the old watch, can someone provide a wiring diagram for a new generation watch, and knows or will link them Piwis, I have a Macan of 2018. I have a cable to connect, but no schematic, detail number: 61138377064 (
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c416e13e0.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...990c367f3.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7d415979a8.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d8779f41b6.jpg

ENatter 02-10-2022 11:54 AM

Hi Everybody,

I installed the analog clock to my 2012 Cayenne Diesel and had nothing like SC before. The clocks works right away, but clock is not illuminated. Do I have to code something with Piwis and if what to code?

Quadcammer 02-10-2022 12:27 PM

I believe thats a menu item you can select...i forget exactly where.

that said, the lighting on the clock is not strong at all and unless in full darkness, it can appear that its not lit.

F SANE IL 02-10-2022 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 17965131)
I believe thats a menu item you can select...i forget exactly where.

that said, the lighting on the clock is not strong at all and unless in full darkness, it can appear that its not lit.

Look in dash menu. Should be under chrono clock

ENatter 02-11-2022 10:06 AM

I enabled this in the dash menu. I assume that the clock has still no illumination. Is there nothing to code for the analog clock at all?

Quadcammer 02-11-2022 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ENatter (Post 17966993)
I enabled this in the dash menu. I assume that the clock has still no illumination. Is there nothing to code for the analog clock at all?

not for me, I did not have clock or compass and when I plugged in the clock and enabled in the menu, the illumination worked fine. I have a late 2011 CS

ENatter 02-14-2022 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 17967181)
not for me, I did not have clock or compass and when I plugged in the clock and enabled in the menu, the illumination worked fine. I have a late 2011 CS

Thank you, you're right. Without doing anything clock is now illuminated.

Macan.v6 04-04-2022 05:00 PM

Hallo
ich möchte bei meinen Macan auch die Stoppuhr mit 3 Pin´s anschließen.
Weis jemand die Kabelbelegung?

Alain NEGOSANTI 04-06-2022 06:24 AM

cayenne 958 chrono watch connection

Hi,could someone help me by telling me how to connect the 4 wires of the chrono watch to the PCM of my cayenne. Thanks.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...228b4853b3.jpg
here are two wires together yellow and a second yellow red one black purple and one yellow. 4 wires in total

Macan.v6 04-22-2022 06:31 PM

Hallo
hast du die Kabelbelegung der 3 Pins bekommen?
Ich suche auch schon ewig?
Gruß aus Oberfranken

F SANE IL 04-24-2022 01:01 PM

Search the forum. There's a full post on the wire locations. I don't remember exact, but I do recall it wasn't difficult.

Dave16 10-13-2022 03:56 PM

I have a 2018 Cayenne S. I have the regular analog clock with a black face, no digital. I recently swapped out my seatbelts to red. Is there a clock with a red face option I can swap to?

F SANE IL 10-13-2022 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dave16 (Post 18409716)
I have a 2018 Cayenne S. I have the regular analog clock with a black face, no digital. I recently swapped out my seatbelts to red. Is there a clock with a red face option I can swap to?

NEW 6 Colors Console Dashboard Stopwatch Clock Compass Time Meter For Porsche OLD Macan Cayenne Panamera 911 Boxster Cayman 718
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKcfS4c

Dave16 10-13-2022 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 18409858)
NEW 6 Colors Console Dashboard Stopwatch Clock Compass Time Meter For Porsche OLD Macan Cayenne Panamera 911 Boxster Cayman 718
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKcfS4c

That's interesting. Have you ordered and installed? Is it plug and play if I don't have sport chrono already?

F SANE IL 10-13-2022 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave16 (Post 18409883)
That's interesting. Have you ordered and installed? Is it plug and play if I don't have sport chrono already?

Never ordered this, but bought a bunch of other small items from AliEx. I'm sure the OEM is much more money, there are red variants. If price isn't a concern, I'd get OEM.

Dave16 10-13-2022 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by F SANE IL (Post 18409915)
Never ordered this, but bought a bunch of other small items from AliEx. I'm sure the OEM is much more money, there are red variants. If price isn't a concern, I'd get OEM.

I would be happy if I could find a part number for the OEM basic analog clock with a red face. I can only find sport chrono with red and that is $600 from the dealer.

Radi 02-17-2023 12:16 PM

OK it’s time for my Cayenne to got sport chrono. I read all posts, and want to be sure.

Some of you use Wiring harness from Cayman, and say that colours is matching. In my case I have clock with OEM harness from Cayenne. My question is are this wiring harness matches to my PCM. Seal same colours.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...eccfb5b26.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e07673821.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e968f2d95.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...60abd847f.jpeg

F SANE IL 02-17-2023 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Radi (Post 18636891)
OK it’s time for my Cayenne to got sport chrono. I read all posts, and want to be sure.

Some of you use Wiring harness from Cayman, and say that colours is matching. In my case I have clock with OEM harness from Cayenne. My question is are this wiring harness matches to my PCM. Seal same colours.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...eccfb5b26.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e07673821.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e968f2d95.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...60abd847f.jpeg

Most of us can't remember what we had for breakfast today. Asking about the clock wires that were installed years ago is impossible.

RJH_MUSIC 01-25-2024 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by akumatz (Post 15438479)

thanks a lot

I have been reading this thread over and over As I am getting ready to do this model. My Porsche, 2005 boxer. I received the cable today to plug in to the compass, but it does not show the same wire colors. I'm assuming that the pin position is more important than the color of the wire. The colors I have are pin 6= black, pin5 = brown, pin2 = blue and pin 1= yellow. The plug connector does fit the chrono. So from this I can assume that black is ground, yellow is power, and the blue and brown are CAN high and low?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...99ea2f6d9f.jpg