Sponsored By:

Cayenne Diesel - Performance Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on joining the club

Map 7 is, I believe, what Greg has been using until recently and has been pleased. I ran a tank at Map 8 and a second at Map 6 and will be going back to 8 and staying there.

One of these days I hope to find some cheap dyno time and get some real numbers on the power.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM
dlchasen
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnat
Congrats on joining the club

Map 7 is, I believe, what Greg has been using until recently and has been pleased. I ran a tank at Map 8 and a second at Map 6 and will be going back to 8 and staying there.

One of these days I hope to find some cheap dyno time and get some real numbers on the power.
I, too, have an interest in a tuning box, but if the performance gains (I'm not all that concerned with better fuel economy) only come with diesel clatter and oil smell, I'd have to pass.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

If you read my thread on 6spd I mention a couple of incidents where I smelled burning oil, but that was motor oil and not diesel. That's only happened twice and I don't think it has anything to do with the tuner. Otherwise there is no smell difference from stock and the exhaust is still just as clean.

I also mention that it sounds to me like there is more clatter, but my wife doesn't notice any difference and people continue to be surprised that its a diesel when standing next to it while running.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW; I installed my BlueSpark box in December. To date I've used Maps 8, 7, 6, and 0 without noticing either of those issues. Nothing even close to the old school diesel clatter is evident unless/until one actually opens the hood. Even then its comparatively insignificant. Besides the astonished looks when I tell them this is a Porsche Diesel, their jaws drop even further when a finger wiped across the inside of a tail pipe extension - comes out clean.

//greg//
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
canon_mutant
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed just a tad more light throttle diesel clatter on mine. Asked Greg about it and he wasn't sure on his. It's not enough to even be bothersome and my hearing is still quite sensitive to things but I was more concerned it could be perhaps running a little too lean for mpgs . . . a diesel variant of pinging. I have been assured that is not the case. Meanwhile I continue to enjoy a real kick in the *** on setting 7 with my foot in it and got 36.3mpg at consistent 68mph cruise the other day. That is just plain amazing. We're going to be able to go all the way to our cabin in CO and back on one tank of fuel and 0-60 is now down close to 6 secs.

Best $400 I've spent . . .
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Couple of questions. Did you guys install the Bluespark system yourself? Is this an easy install? How does performance compare to the V8 CS?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Yes I installed it myself. It is incredibly simple. Go take a look at the first post in my thread on 6spd in the 958 forum (sorry I don't know the linking to other forum policy) and I talk about the install and include pictures.

Never done more than a test drive in a (955) CS so I have no idea how it compares from personal experience.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by scott40
Couple of questions. Did you guys install the Bluespark system yourself? Is this an easy install? How does performance compare to the V8 CS?
First two questions already answered earlier in the thread: yes, and dead simple. As to the comparison, I too have no 958 CS experience. Best I can do is state that the Pro+Boost box takes the factory 0-60 time (7.2) down into the low sixes. Comparing that to the CS 5.7 means we'd likely be within half a second. superior torque means we'll beat you badly off the line, but around 40-45 mph you'd probably catch up. At that point your superior horsepower would take over. Top speed is electronically limited to 135, so you've got us there. EPA highway mileage is 29, but all of us have already seen 36+. We gotcha there hands down

//greg//
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Top speed is electronically limited to 135, so you've got us there. //greg//
I don't know if it really matters to you but my CD has this sticker on the door jamb and it was on a dash strip too.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
I don't know if it really matters to you but my CD has this sticker on the door jamb and it was on a dash strip too.
I believe that sticker is related to the All Season tires warning. Since the Cayenne's can be optioned with all season (mud & snow) tires the sticker is there to warn you about exceeding that speed when using M&S tires. Don't believe it has anything to do with the actual speed capability of the vehicle.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM
canon_mutant
Intermediate

One thing I noticed in yesterday's triple digit heat is my Cayenne was a little doggy on throttle response - something I hadn't noticed before. However, this is my 1st experience with my Cayenne and triple digit heat period. Next time, I'll dial the Bluespark back to 0 and see if it's the Bluespark or just some high heat phenomenon with my Cayenne [??]. Just seems to be taking turbo lag to an extreme feeling.

Beyond that, I don't race people generally on the street unless they deserve it but, a couple days ago, a V8 X5 would not freakin' leave me alone on 2 consecutive stop lights so he got introduced to Bluespark and diesel torque. I absolutely dusted him. Wasn't even a race. I knew I would get him but did not know just how badly [??].

Again, though the 0-60 is about a second quicker on setting 7 which is nothing to sneeze at, 0-40 on these was already strong and it is now WAY strong.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
One thing I noticed in yesterday's triple digit heat is my Cayenne was a little doggy on throttle response - something I hadn't noticed before.
High performance engines, especially with forced induction, like dense air and the warmer it is the less dense it is.

I know our NA 996 vastly prefers 45 degree days to 100+ days. So far the low 90s is all I've had the CD in and I haven't noticed any significant difference in performance (which is actually a surprise to me).
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 AM
canon_mutant
Intermediate

Yeah, I understand that "generally" but I come from a Touareg TDI and it did not have this problem when hot . . . or at least not nearly to this extent. I think it was severe enough that it was indeed "a problem". Just don't know if it was Bluespark induced or something with the Cayenne. Here in Kansas, bound to be plenty more triple digit days so I'll find out.

Just didn't know if anyone else has seen it yet or not?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Yeah, I understand that "generally" but I come from a Touareg TDI and it did not have this problem when hot . . .
I traded a 2011 TDI for my Cayenne. To date, neither car exhibited said symptoms. But the Cayenne has yet to be driven in our hottest driest months of July/Aug. Having said that, understand that Touareg and Cayenne don't share a common ECU map. The Treg is mapped by VAG, the Cayenne by Porsche.

//greg//
Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Not having actual numbers I would guess that part of that ECU map difference is a higher boost pressure in the Cayenne which means it wants more air and would exacerbate a "bad air" problem. Of course the BSP+BC specifically works with your boost sensor (though I'm not clear exactly what it is doing) and would likely extend the impact even further.

So yes the BSP is probably making you notice it more, but it's a function of how much air the engine is wanting rather than a problem with the BSP itself. This is why when people start upgrading FI engines a CAI and larger/better Intercooler are on the short list of things that need to be done.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel - Performance Upgrade?