Sponsored By:

958: Removing headrests

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 958: Removing headrests

Hopefully this will help someone else too. I found the headrest was getting in the way of my sons car seat due to the way it overlaps the seat back. For the life of me, however, I couldn't figure out how to remove the headrest and all I could find in the manual was information about removing the center headrest (which was easy and I did it before leaving the dealer since it blocks the mirror view).

My dealer sent the tech instructions for how to remove the headrest which I've copied here (the PDF was watermarked and I have no intent to cause them trouble). Note that my salesman said he had to have someone else assist him, but I did manage to remove mine by myself.

The directions don't specify just the rear so my assumption is that it works for the front too, but I haven't tried them myself.

1. Push adjusting **** -A- and pull headrest up as as possible.
2. Press down cushion beside the right-hand headrest guide -B-

The locking mechanism is on the right-hand side of the vehicle on all outer headrests and must always be pressed towards the left-hand side of the vehicle.

3. Press locking mechanism inwards using a finger -C- and at the same time pull headrest out in an upward direction -D-
Notes:
1) Finding the button was a bit difficult. They have it highlighted yellow in the picture but did nothing so helpful on the actual car. It was hidden a bit by the cover that the headrest slides into.

2) Even with the headrest already all the way up I found I still had to press the adjustment button to get it to come out while also pressing the locking button.

All in all pretty simple once you know how to do it. It just boggles my mind why they didn't make it simpler (like the rear center one).
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gnat, I agree. It's a real PIA to remove. They usually stick when you're in a hurry rushing to lay the seat backs down while the pimple-faced sales kid at Home Depot is waiting next to your cart of lumber...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for that. have always noticed the center headrest blocking rear view mirror. never thought of removing it but it seems like good idea as I rarely have 5 people in the car.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:32 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Thank you.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

My boy's 8 now and during the drive back from PEC Atlanta he discovered the heated and ventilated rear seats. My chance of getting the car seat back in there has gone down considerably since those revelations.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 3,914 Posts

Speaking of headrests, does anyone know if in a 957 the front seat and rear seat headrests are interchangeable (same post spacing, etc).

Quick Reply: 958: Removing headrests