Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

anyone know how to access fog lights on 2011 cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts
Default anyone know how to access fog lights on 2011 cayenne?

I can't figure out how to replace my fog light on my base 2011 cayenne. Search shows that a panel could be removed directly below the previous generation cayenne, but I'm not seeing an easy way in. Nothing in the manual. Removed the headlight cluster and found no access lower. I removed five of the torx screws on the wheel well and nothing wanted to budge easily. I removed four of the hex/torx screws on the edge of the lower plastic molding. I was pretty tired and low on patience so I didn't push too hard to remove any parts. Today I was able to touch the right side fog lamp by reaching in from the hood but the left side is blocked by other components.

Any advice? Just paid $125 for the part. I'd hate to think I have to pay an hour of labor just to replace a stupid fog lamp.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:58 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes sir.

Preliminary work
1. Release wheel housing liner in the front area.

Removing front wheel housing liner
Information

Some of the repair illustrations show only one side of the vehicle. Naturally, some steps also have to be performed on the opposite side of the vehicle as well. These must be carried out as a mirror image of the steps shown.

Front wheel housing liner
1 - Front wheel housing liner
2 - Fastening screws
3 - Fastening nuts

1. Unscrew fastening screws -2- .
2. Unscrew fastening nuts -3- .
3. Unclip and remove wheel housing liner -1- .

Installing front wheel housing liner
The front wheel housing liner is installed in reverse order to removal.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Removing light bulb for fog lights

→ Bulb table and installation instructions

Some of the repair illustrations show only one side of the vehicle. Naturally, some steps also have to be performed on the opposite side of the vehicle as well. These must be carried out as a mirror image of the steps shown.

Installation position of light bulb for fog lights
NOTICE

Voltage peaks
Risk of damage to electrical load or to the control unit
→ Remove remote control and switch off ignition before disconnecting or removing electrical load.

1. Turn light bulb for fog light anti-clockwise -arrow A- and remove from the fog light -1- ( -arrow B- ).

Removing bulb socket
2. Release electric plug connection and pull it off the bulb socket -2- .

Disconnecting electric plug connection

Installing light bulb for fog lights

The light bulb for fog lights is installed in reverse order to removal.

1. Secure wheel housing liner in the front area.
Attached Images     
Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

The above is for the bulb only.

If you want to change the whole light then it gets more complicated if the car is equipped with the charge air cooler, and it's a two person job because the front apron must be removed. Before removing the bumper you have to complete 5 steps..

1. Remove main headlight.
2. Remove cover for lock support.
3. Remove side direction indicator light.
4. Remove front wheel cover.
5. Loosen front engine guard.

6. Remove front bumper.

Anyway here is the procedure for the fog light without removing the apron.

Removing and installing fog lights
- Preliminary work
- Removing fog lights
- Installing fog lights
- Subsequent work

Preliminary work
Only with charge air cooler:
1. Remove front apron. → Removing and installing front apron

Removing fog lights

NOTICE
Voltage peaks
Risk of damage to load or to the control unit
→ Switch off ignition and remove remote control before disconnecting or removing load.

Installation position of fog light

The work steps are the same for the left and right fog lights.
1. Release electrical plug connection -1- at the fog light using a screwdriver -a- and pull it off -A- .

Disconnecting plug connection at fog light
2. Unscrew two fastening screws -1- .

Fog light mounting
3. Remove fog light -2- .

Installing fog lights
1. Insert fog light -2- .

Installing fog light
2. Screw in two fastening screws -1- .
3. Plug in electrical plug connection -1- in the direction of the arrow -arrow- until the connector engages securely.

Plugging in plug connection

Subsequent work
Only with charge air cooler:
1. Install front apron. → Removing and installing front apron
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM
working4it
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What subscription/membership do you have to get those nice diagrams/instructions?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:46 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

First, thank you very much 911SLOW. Second, holy s**t!!!! The fog light glass housing is shattered so I got a replacement for the entire fog light. This looks more involved than I expected and I don't have a proper jack to work under the car so I suppose I'm looking at 1-2 hours to get it serviced. Reminds me of a friend who had an alfa that needed the radiator removed to replace the oil filter.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

amazing diagrams above, the fender liner up front is a pain, 13 torx bolts, a clip and 3 more bolts inside the fender.. i think if you remove the liner and wheel that you'll see it's easy to access from there without removing the bumper..

i saw it when i was changing my fenders out... 2 large torx holding it on.

jealous of those diagrams however, and would kill for them for my exige!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:18 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

On second thought this is probably a good excuse to get a decent jack and try to do it myself.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Woohoo! I did it! Thanks to 911SLOW's detailed instructions I was able to do it myself. It took about an hour but you could do it in thirty minutes. I'm pretty clueless mechanically so I'm pretty proud of myself. Here's some notes . . .

1. Need to remove the wheel. I initially tried to just turn the wheel in and remove a few of the fasteners holding the wheel well but the thick cardboard/felt like wheel well material was too thick to pry away without feeling like I would damage it. Good news is that from diagrams none of the fender body panels had to be removed.

2. You only need to remove the fasteners on the half of the wheel well facing the fog light you need to access. The two fastening nuts can stay on. I ended up removing about a dozen of the fastening screws which require a torx screwdriver.

3. You than can peel the wheel well back to access the fog light.

4. My foglight was only attached with two torx screws and a plastic peg to hold in place. The odd thing about my replacement fog lamp is that the light socket itself was different from the one on the car. Fortunately the old bulb and socket were still fine so I just twisted it off the old fog light housing and put it in the new one.
Attached Images   
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Nice work!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I had to replace my passenger side fog light as I noticed the lens was shattered the other day. After much research I located a direct replacement part on Amazon for 1/3 the price the dealers charge and it's the same Valeo p/n (89210094) as what I removed so I thought I'd pass it along in case anyone is interested in saving $80.

Amazon.com: Valeo Fog Light: Automotive Amazon.com: Valeo Fog Light: Automotive
Old 11-26-2016, 05:56 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Anyone here try these?

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/porsche-...o-xb-led-fogs/
Old 11-26-2016, 08:29 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just picked up a set of these during the Retrofit Source's black friday sale. I will install and post pics/comments after I receive them. Based on reviews of these installed on other cars, their performance is quite good and beats all of the OEM LED fog implementations.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:46 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 125shifter
Those appear.to be high quality at a good price, but I would very much like to hear whether they throw as much light as the OEM halogen units. LEDs look better but typically have poorer coverage. Hopefully the integrated approach with a bespoke housing and projector lens overcome that limitation.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone with a Cayenne has tried them here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...nt-bumper.html

Beam pattern shots comparing to the BMW X5 LED fogs can be found here: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...son-pics/page2

I'm pretty sure the LED fogs are better than the stock halogens based on the lumens spec and beam patterns shown. I've used Morimoto HID, projector, and DRL LED products in the past with great performance and reliability, so I believe their LED fogs would also perform well.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I'm pretty sure the LED fogs are better than the stock halogens based on the lumens spec and beam patterns shown. I've used Morimoto HID, projector, and DRL LED products in the past with great performance and reliability, so I believe their LED fogs would also perform well.
Depends on what you want the fog lights for. As decorative lighting I guess the LED lights might be better. For use in fog they will be much worse than the standard halogen.

Why? Color of the light. Fog reflects light back at the driver. The more blue the light, the more is reflected. The more orange the light, the less is reflected. There is a reason for lights used to be yellow or even orange in color.

And being brighter isn't an advantage in real fog lighting. Brighter simply means more light reflecting back in your eyes causing the iris to close, resulting in poorer vision.

Your choice though, decorative or useful. I always thought it rather tacky running fogs when there is no fog, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: anyone know how to access fog lights on 2011 cayenne?