Sponsored By:

New body style Cayenne clear side marker DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
I can't say it was hard, but it's a pia. It looks great.

Correction, it takes a T25, not a T20. The directions were perfect, made the job easier.
Good catch, thanks. You're right. I grabbed the wrong tool for the pic. I've edited the text in the DIY (too lazy to change the photo!)
Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Good catch, thanks. You're right. I grabbed the wrong tool for the pic. I've edited the text in the DIY (too lazy to change the photo!)
So did you buy screwdrivers from Via Veneto or not?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I hear Versace has a nice set in gold and D&G has one in platinum
Old 05-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Nah, too pretentious; I'll stick with my plain old Craftsman stuff . Besides, I blew my tool budget on arguably the best steak I've ever had in my life at a place called Buca dell Orofo near the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. One kilo of 2 inch thick aged Tuscan beef; perfectly seared, cooked, and seasoned and unbelievably tender and flavorful. The waiter tried to talk me out of it because he said it was for 2, but my wife doesn't eat beef and I wasn't going to be denied. 58 Euros and worth every penny. Ate the whole thing.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

That's a pretty good price for 1kg! Especially considering that chicken at L'Ami Louis in Paris is €79 and pretty lousy
Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

That's a pretty good price for 1kg! Especially considering that chicken at L'Ami Louis in Paris is €79 and pretty lousy
My wife had ravioli and said it was exceptional too. The place wasn't overpriced by any means for Europe although $90 bucks for a steak seems like a lot compared to most Stateside prices. OTOH it WAS truly outstanding, and I don't feel too badly if a crummy piece of Parisian chicken can go for $120!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:35 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

My wife had ravioli and said it was exceptional too. The place wasn't overpriced by any means for Europe although $90 bucks for a steak seems like a lot compared to most Stateside prices. OTOH it WAS truly outstanding, and I don't feel too badly if a crummy piece of Parisian chicken can go for $120!
Thing is, we never mind the price tag, as long as it's good. L'Ami Louis is a legendary place that is known for its chicken and it just wasn't good. Maybe they had an off night, but my mom makes one that is miles ahead of theirs Their foie gras, however, is a whole different story. One I would repeat gladly.

How was the Amalfi Coast?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

DnG are nice , but do have weird shaped handles occasionally..

Nah, too pretentious; I'll stick with my plain old Craftsman stuff . Besides, I blew my tool budget on arguably the best steak I've ever had in my life at a place called Buca dell Orofo near the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. One kilo of 2 inch thick aged Tuscan beef; perfectly seared, cooked, and seasoned and unbelievably tender and flavorful. The waiter tried to talk me out of it because he said it was for 2, but my wife doesn't eat beef and I wasn't going to be denied. 58 Euros and worth every penny. Ate the whole thing.

Good call sir! No way I can excuse that waiter.. : )

Merde! Don't tell me that finding a decent restaurant in the Marais district has become a challenge..

BTW he have a fine restaurant 5 minutes from my house.. : )
Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thing is, we never mind the price tag, as long as it's good. L'Ami Louis is a legendary place that is known for its chicken and it just wasn't good. Maybe they had an off night, but my mom makes one that is miles ahead of theirs Their foie gras, however, is a whole different story. One I would repeat gladly.

How was the Amalfi Coast?
Unfortunately, we only made it to Rome and Florence. (I say unfortunately but we had a great time and the weather was spectacular; mid 70's every day, blue skies, comfortable evenings). Something that came up a couple of weeks before we left caused a change in our travel plans and we had to shorten our trip by a week. Next time, Amalfi.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:11 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, we only made it to Rome and Florence. (I say unfortunately but we had a great time and the weather was spectacular; mid 70's every day, blue skies, comfortable evenings). Something that came up a couple of weeks before we left caused a change in our travel plans and we had to shorten our trip by a week. Next time, Amalfi.
Oh, that sucks. That is my favorite corner of the world

Merde! Don't tell me that finding a decent restaurant in the Marais district has become a challenge..
It's not in the cool part of the Marais, so rest assured, you'll still be able to find something decent to eat there
Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Please read the alternate install from WiredWays on the RennTech forum.
Much easier.
Took all of 2-3 minutes per side. Really.

"After reading this forum on Saturday, I went about replacing my amber side markers with clear side markers. After partially removing the wheel well liner like this forum and the owner manual suggests I struggled to remove the first side marker. After about 20 minutes, the first amber marker was out. What a chore. Now that I could see specifically how and where the marker attached (with pressure clips) I decided to take a different approach on the second side...

1. Slip a piece of fishing line (I used 40lb test) under the front point of the side marker. You may have to put a little pressure on top or bottom of the lens to free up a gap to get the line completely under the point of the light.
2. Carefully work the line back from the point 1/2 to 3/4 inch toward the center of the light.
3. Holding both end of the fishing line, give the line a firm tug, not too hard. This will unclip the lens form front pressure clip and partially from the rear pressure clip
4. Carefully remove the lens the rest of the way from the rear pressure clip and a slight tilt will also release the safety clip as well.
5. Remove the bulb from the amber lens, replace bulb with amber bulb, align slots on bulb gasket with clear lens align tabs on clear lens with pressure clips on vehicle and press lens into place.

Total time expended on first side (using the owner’s manual method) 30 minutes by the time I put everything back together.
Total time expense on second side 4 minutes.

I hope this helps everyone save some time so you can spend less time with your hand(s) wedged up inside the fender well and more time behind the wheel. "

Written by WiredWays
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Please read the alternate install from WiredWays on the RennTech forum.
Much easier.
Took all of 2-3 minutes per side. Really.

"After reading this forum on Saturday, I went about replacing my amber side markers with clear side markers. After partially removing the wheel well liner like this forum and the owner manual suggests I struggled to remove the first side marker. After about 20 minutes, the first amber marker was out. What a chore. Now that I could see specifically how and where the marker attached (with pressure clips) I decided to take a different approach on the second side...

1. Slip a piece of fishing line (I used 40lb test) under the front point of the side marker. You may have to put a little pressure on top or bottom of the lens to free up a gap to get the line completely under the point of the light.
2. Carefully work the line back from the point 1/2 to 3/4 inch toward the center of the light.
3. Holding both end of the fishing line, give the line a firm tug, not too hard. This will unclip the lens form front pressure clip and partially from the rear pressure clip
4. Carefully remove the lens the rest of the way from the rear pressure clip and a slight tilt will also release the safety clip as well.
5. Remove the bulb from the amber lens, replace bulb with amber bulb, align slots on bulb gasket with clear lens align tabs on clear lens with pressure clips on vehicle and press lens into place.

Total time expended on first side (using the owner’s manual method) 30 minutes by the time I put everything back together.
Total time expense on second side 4 minutes.

I hope this helps everyone save some time so you can spend less time with your hand(s) wedged up inside the fender well and more time behind the wheel. "

Written by WiredWays
Of course, brilliant! Took me an hour the old fashioned way. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 AM
goowatchi
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative method

Took me about 15 minutes total for both sides. This method is a bit riskier, but I was able to have it done without any complications. I didn't have any fishing lines lying around and I didn't want to remove any torx screws from the wheel well.

I did have a spare iTunes gift card and a letter opener on my coffee table. So after a few Stella Artois', I decided, "What the heck! Let's 'MacGyver' these clear side markers onto my new Cayenne!"

Warning: Do at your own risk. This requires a little elbow grease and a little bit more testicular fortitude. Any plastic card will work, preferably one you don't mind disposing of status post modification.

1. Study your clear side markers. There are essentially two clips you need to loosen (an anterior clip on the inferior border of the side marker as well as a posterior clip on the superior border).

2. Here's the risky part: on your car, place the credit card/plastic gift card into the space under the side marker.

3. Place your letter opener in between the card and side marker (so as to not scratch your fender). Give it a slight pry so you can slide your card anteriorly to where the clip should be.

4. With your letter opener, pry the side marker towards you and pop the anterior clip.

5. Place card into the space on top of the side marker near the posterior clip.

6. Slide letter opener in between card and side marker, and pry towards you until the clip pops out.

7. Repeat for opposite side marker.

From what I read, this is similar to what the dealer does. Again, takes about 15 minutes total. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We actually have a kit that will allow you to change out your amber side markers with clear euro units. This kit provides everything you need to do the job, and with Mike's DIY write up, the swap is easier than ever.

For more information on the kit Click Here
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
wolverine1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed mine out today. I didn't have any fishing line so I used some light-gauge picture frame wire. It took less than 5 minutes per side. I used a toothpick to guide the wire underneath the front point of the light. One quick tug and the light popped out... very simple!!!

Quick Reply: New body style Cayenne clear side marker DIY