Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CD Engine Oil Leak: Does this look normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 03:52 PM
intercarte
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Engine Oil Leak: Does this look normal?

Hi - I am trying to get to the bottom of a minor the oil leak (155k on the clock, FPSH – so not too bad. This is the underside (2011 3.0 TD) mid point where the undertrays meet - I think this is where the oil leak is originating but the crunched plastic casing looks distorted. What is it and does it look normal? Thank you

Last edited by intercarte; 09-23-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 09:08 AM
sahinonder
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by intercarte
Hi - I am trying to get to the bottom of a minor the oil leak (155k on the clock, FPSH – so not too bad. This is the underside (2011 3.0 TD) mid point where the undertrays meet - I think this is where the oil leak is originating but the crunched plastic casing looks distorted. What is it and does it look normal? Thank you

That is where the bottom of the rear cover for the engine. That rubber has nothing to do, that is just like a gasket or bumper for some wiring. What happens usually is the oil finds its way down there. It could be coming down from the valve cover, from the valley from the oil cooler, or from the cover itself.
my 2016 cd had from valve cover initially, got it fixed and than there was the issue in the valley, where the oil cooler was leaking, I took care of it. So it could be coming down from several places. You can clean it and try to track it down that way.
good luck, hope it helps
Old 09-24-2024, 11:51 AM
intercarte
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you - very helpful
Old 09-24-2024, 04:51 PM
'83 911 SC
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RMS

OP,

Your rear main seal is most probably leaking. Engine out job to get it fixed unfortunately but if the leak isn’t that big, just monitor it and let it be.

The “plastic” thing is a rubber seal for the engine timing sensor.

The rear main seal, rear timing chain cover plate, and timing chains should all be replaced or cleaned thoroughly if you’re going to have this fixed. That also means the valve covers will be removed and all the seals, including the diesel injector spacers and retaining bolts, will need to be replaced.

It’s a huge job but very easy once you have the motor out.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Quite expensive. If you remove the bottom engine cover under the car and look around above the oil drain plug you probably will be able to see the oil leaking from the rms if that is what is leaking. The oil dries up on the engine cover so you usually don's see leaks on the ground. The leaks were covered with the dieselgate extended warranty but since you have 155k you are way out of warranty. There were lots of leaks on these 3.0 motors but I think the later ones were not prone to leak. My 2013 leaked at about 50k and was repaired by the dealer under the warranty.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Open wallet, hand over $8k - 10k and all will be good. Do timing chains, adjusters, leaking coolant pipes, clean or replace egr systems and injectors and replace every gasket while in there. If you intend to keep the car. If not dump it or trade it.

Quick Reply: CD Engine Oil Leak: Does this look normal?