Sponsored By:

Ignition coils: swap out question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024 | 11:53 AM
VicS
Rennlist Member

Default Ignition coils: swap out question

All,

2014 Turbo S: Been hesitant coming off of X5Ms & M5s and parts swapping off those platforms and whether I should go through ignition coil swapping this now 2 year old ride (purchased @ 60K, now has 79K).
So, I swapped coils and plugs (OEM with plugs only having 15K on them) this weekend and was blown away at the resultant seat of the pants horse power gain. The Acceleration is so much smoother with pull coming on lower in the RPM range.

Data points: Coils & plugs appeared to be in excellent shape. Coils in particular had no signs of cracks or arcing, almost new in appearance.

Has anyone else observed this much 'gain' from coils alone? Can these Beru units degrade internally? Note: I am not complaining
Thanks.

Last edited by VicS; 09-23-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2024 | 04:01 PM
kolosy
Intermediate

subscribed. 2011 turbo w/ 8 year old coils.
Old 09-24-2024 | 12:57 PM
VicS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kolosy
subscribed. 2011 turbo w/ 8 year old coils.
Side note for this thread: There were no Foxwell scanned code results either before or after the coil swap.
Old 09-24-2024 | 07:52 PM
Cayenne958Hybrid
Track Day

I put APR Coils on mine better than OEM & Cheaper and you can pick any colour you like mine are red would have gone well with your car.

I am 90% sure I had original coils at 89k miles when I changed them I did notice a difference old ones looked fine maybe a little worn but did have some dirt round them

Originally Posted by VicS
All,

2014 Turbo S: Been hesitant coming off of X5Ms & M5s and parts swapping off those platforms and whether I should go through ignition coil swapping this now 2 year old ride (purchased @ 60K, now has 79K).
So, I swapped coils and plugs (OEM with plugs only having 15K on them) this weekend and was blown away at the resultant seat of the pants horse power gain. The Acceleration is so much smoother with pull coming on lower in the RPM range.

Data points: Coils & plugs appeared to be in excellent shape. Coils in particular had no signs of cracks or arcing, almost new in appearance.

Has anyone else observed this much 'gain' from coils alone? Can these Beru units degrade internally? Note: I am not complaining
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ignition coils: swap out question