Sponsored By:

2012 CS V8 will not smog! VVT EGR message

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 01:53 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2012 CS V8 will not smog! VVT EGR message

Hello. I paid my registration her in Cali in Jan 2024. However my Cayenne S will not smog. I keep getting this EGR not ready message. I have replaced 2 o2 sensors, got a complete service and no smog. I was out of town for a few months so when I returned I took car to the dealer (Circle Porsche, now owned by Fletcher jones Mercedes) Would not recommend going her anymore. I advised them what had been going on and shared the service receipt with them on what had been done to car. They simple said, "oh we have to do the same thing and it will cost you 650.00 for checkout fee. After my head exploded I asked can you smog the car if we go this route and they said yes. Well a week later and they don't know what to do and gave me a service estimate of over 10,000.00 usd! WTF. That would be the most expensive smog in history. I said kiss my Bl***k ***. They claim to say that the VVT valves needed to be replaced. Well I collected my car and said later to these d wads. Long Beach is in trouble as this dealer may turn out to not be a good one. Well my qeustion is will a bad VVT (variable valve timing solenoid) cause a Cayenne that is not a turbo, to not smog and the EGR light to stay on? Dealer confirmed I don't have any check engine lights and there are none on the display. Any help is appreciated. I can change the VVT solenoids myself as they are quite accessible on the CS. Plus they only cost 50 dollars for two. This is why most people don't want to go to the dealer. I rebuilt my 993 flat six engine for less than what these people were talking about just to smog my car.
Old 08-01-2024, 08:19 PM
Lox of the Lake
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you've been Califaunacated, that just cruel. Good luck with all that pollution gear.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:48 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

1. nsure the fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 tank
  2. Park the car for over 10.5 hours (typically left overnight). Must be between 40-113°F ambient air temperature.
  3. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start, the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
  4. Idle. Idle for at least 30 seconds. Turn on the air conditioner, rear defroster, and headlights and idle for a while longer. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
  5. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
  6. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph for 8 minutes. During this time the O2 response, Air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  7. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 20mph. During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  8. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5.
  9. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph for 15 minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 6, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
  10. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 7. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
  11. Drive the vehicle for more than 30 minutes in total to ensure a full heat cycle.
  12. Drive the vehicle at a steady-state of speed of 55mph with minimal throttle angle change at least 5 minutes
Old 08-01-2024, 10:37 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Can you post what the $10,000 service estimate consisted of?
The following users liked this post:
Lox of the Lake (08-02-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 03:46 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I was desperate so I had my shady neighbor take my car to "the smog guy" he said would smog anything for 250.00. Well he called me and the "smog guy" said oh it's a Porsche and those cars have a problem with the EGR and passing smog. So he said it would be over 600.00 to "pass it" I said no. So WTH is going on with the Porsche cars and is there a recall on this EGR ****? I see from the forum many are having this issue. Does Porsche know??? I took my car to the Long Beach Porsche Dealer and they kept my car for over 2 weeks, ran piwis test, drive cycles, and they said maybe need to start replacing solenoids and other parts (quoted me 10k) and can see if that works. I was floored and said give me my damn keys. Do not go here!!!

So know I am without a drivable car and no smog. What to do. Maybe sell car or trade in?
Old 08-31-2024, 04:24 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

What are the stored codes?
Old 09-01-2024, 04:14 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,007 Likes on 1,781 Posts

If you don't have any check engine light and there are no codes stored, then it should pass smog. There is no sniffer on 2000 and newer cars, only OBD port readings.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 09-01-2024 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 CS V8 will not smog! VVT EGR message