Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018-242/)
-   -   Air suspension and off roading (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018/1363940-air-suspension-and-off-roading.html)

jaustin 09-09-2023 12:03 AM

Air suspension and off roading

How do I keep the car from automatically lowering back down if I get to a stretch that I can pickup some speed?

I searched but didn't find anything out :( the manual is out in the car and I just don't feel like going all the way out to the garage to read it.

anyone have some input?
2014 S with air

lml999 09-09-2023 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jaustin (Post 19003910)
I searched but didn't find anything out :( the manual is out in the car and I just don't feel like going all the way out to the garage to read it.

anyone have some input?
2014 S with air

@jaustin Sure...two things...first, if you're going fast enough for the suspension to reset, the engineers at Porsche have decided that you don't need to be in raised mode.

Second...if you're going to outsource the work to your forum-mates, please don't broadcast your laziness. :)

Doesn't everyone have a "reference" manual in their library? ;)

jaustin 09-09-2023 09:22 AM

Well curiosity got the best of me so I went out and took a look last night and found this information out but I didn't find it totally clear what would happen.
From the Porsche bible book of Cayenne
Terrain 1 is active up to 50 mph
Terrain 2 is active up to around 20mph
Can be found on page 209-210ish
I'm still confused if it will actually lower me or just give me a warning in Terrain 2?

lml999 09-09-2023 09:26 AM

@jaustin The suspension will lower automatically when you exceed the speed rating for the specific height. It will not return to the higher setting when you slow down.

jaustin 09-09-2023 11:10 AM

Okay, wasn't sure if it would go back up or just stay down in the terrain 1 mode.

RAudi Driver 09-09-2023 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by lml999 (Post 19004132)
@jaustin The suspension will lower automatically when you exceed the speed rating for the specific height. It will not return to the higher setting when you slow down.

Wait up, I do think it returns to the higher preset mode. When I'm blasting down the highway, the car will lower and when I get off the highway, IIRC, it returns the normal mode. Damn now I gotta go drive the car to check it.

garrett376 09-09-2023 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver (Post 19004706)
Wait up, I do think it returns to the higher preset mode. When I'm blasting down the highway, the car will lower and when I get off the highway, IIRC, it returns the normal mode. Damn now I gotta go drive the car to check it.

You're right; he's talking about off-road mode: If you're in high level 2, and exceed 19mph, it will go down to high level 1, but it will not go back to high level 2 on its own once you go back below 19mph.

RAudi Driver 09-09-2023 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by garrett376 (Post 19004733)
You're right; he's talking about off-road mode: If you're in high level 2, and exceed 19mph, it will go down to high level 1, but it will not go back to high level 2 on its own once you go back below 19mph.

LOL, I've never been off road in the cayenne. 🤷🏽‍♂️

jaustin 09-09-2023 08:19 PM

I guess I will need to do some testing and report back. The off-roading I'm talking about its more like forestry service roads that are in decent shape in the summer/fall.

garrett376 09-10-2023 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver (Post 19004902)
LOL, I've never been off road in the cayenne. 🤷🏽‍♂️

You’re missing out on one of the fun things the Cayenne can do really well!

FormerRotor 09-11-2023 09:54 AM

Has anyone ever looked into where the speed/height limits are coded into the car? I often thought about this with the old CD but never dig into it. We tended to drive that everywhere on Terrain 1 and it was always a nuisance that it would t return to it after getting back below 50 mph.

Would love to
- Adjust the default height of each height setting.

In absence of this, wouldn’t mind…
- Bumping the Terrain 2 cutoff up to 45-55, and Bumping Terrain 1 cutoff up to ~90 then just manually adjusting if wanting to lower for highway travel.
- Or ideally: figuring out if there’s any way to get it to return to the previous (taller) setting after hitting a certain min speed.

For now…
- I may just settle by adjusting all ride heights up 1 to 1.5 in. But I wish there were a way to do this without raising the low 1 (sport) and loading modes.

gregeast 09-11-2023 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver (Post 19004706)

I believe that if you maintain 80 (or maybe 85?) mph for more than 10 minutes, the suspension will lower itself from Normal to down one level and then will return to normal once you drop below that speed.

BrendonSF 09-11-2023 01:10 PM

You could get some adjustable links which will "trick" the suspension into thinking that it's at a different height. These are lowering links, but as long as you can find some that are adjustable in both directions they should do the trick: https://www.nickscarblog.com/reviews...st-motorsports

jaustin 09-11-2023 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by FormerRotor (Post 19006985)
Has anyone ever looked into where the speed/height limits are coded into the car? I often thought about this with the old CD but never dig into it. We tended to drive that everywhere on Terrain 1 and it was always a nuisance that it would t return to it after getting back below 50 mph.

Would love to
- Adjust the default height of each height setting.

In absence of this, wouldn’t mind…
- Bumping the Terrain 2 cutoff up to 45-55, and Bumping Terrain 1 cutoff up to ~90 then just manually adjusting if wanting to lower for highway travel.
- Or ideally: figuring out if there’s any way to get it to return to the previous (taller) setting after hitting a certain min speed.

For now…
- I may just settle by adjusting all ride heights up 1 to 1.5 in. But I wish there were a way to do this without raising the low 1 (sport) and loading modes.

Yes, This would be a very cool thing to be able to change.