Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

First Post- Requesting Guidance, 2016 Cayenne GTS or 2019 Cayenne E-Hyrbid

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Golflaw4
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post- Requesting Guidance, 2016 Cayenne GTS or 2019 Cayenne E-Hyrbid

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and this will be my first Porsche purchase. I will be coming from a Tesla Model Y Long Range. The Tesla range is just too short and the build quality is disappointing. I am having a hard time deciding. I am stuck between a 2016 GTS and 2019 E-Hybrid. I have also considered buying a brand new E-Hybrid but can get the older version at a discount so I want to learn a little more about the older models and reliability.

2016 Cayenne GTS
32,780 miles
Infotainment package
white exterior/black interior
CPO warranty

2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid
30,900 miles
Premium Plus Package
Black/Black
CPO warranty

There is about a $20K price difference between to two. The gas mileage of the Hybrid is what is drawing me towards it but at that price I feel like I could get a brand new E-Hybrid for not much more. The GTS is intriguing to me as it is more car but I am concerned about age and expenses and is missing modern features that I think I will want.

I am interested in the community recommendations as to what would be the pros and cons for each one. I would prefer to go with the older one given the price but am not opposed to shelling out more money for the 2019 or even going brand new.

Thank you!
Old 08-06-2022, 10:46 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 199 Posts

GTS, all day long. Your needs / wants may be different than mine, but I didn't make it past the title of your post before I had my answer. When I buy a Porsche, I am not thinking about gas mileage, only performance. YMMV (<== see what I did there...)
Old 08-06-2022, 11:04 PM
h1pst3r
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got my '13 CS with 31k miles which I adore! However, the one thing I would've loved was the GTS Aerokit! My only issue when shopping regarding the GTS was that I didn't want Alcantara and definitely did want 14 or 18-way seats. My CS came with new condition Luxor Beige 14-way seats but I have black 18-way front and rear seats from a 28k 2016 Cayenne Turbo arriving on Tuesday. I am working inside out with my CS but oh how I want the GTS aesthetic!

I would go GTS, but either choice will be an amazing driving experience!

-Chris
Old 08-07-2022, 12:40 AM
nba19002
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to own a 2016 Cayenne GTS and now own a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid. In some ways they are similar, in some, they are very different. I purchased my 2019 due to wanting to try another car with updated tech, better gas mileage, and figured the HP and TQ of the E-Hybrid should make it decently fun to drive. I searched around a little since I wanted air suspension, PDCC, and rear-wheel steering. I read the forums and it sounded like air suspension was a no-brainer. I also have the sport design package or whatever it is called as well as quad exhaust tips so the E-Hybrid looks the part from the outside. I even splurged on 21" Black Spyder RS rims...got them shipped from Porsche Germany and mounted on the E-Hybrid.

Transmission - Much better in the 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid..quicker shifts.

Engine - I prefer the E-Hybrid. The GTS had a better exhaust note and was quick but the E-Hybrid feels quicker still. Electric power eliminates lag...I had the same engine in my 2018 S4 and being a single turbo, I can imagine the 2019 Base Cayenne has a bit of lag. The E-Hybrid powertrain eliminates that. With that said, the 2016 GTS engine is nice it just always felt like it is working hard to me when I was giving it a decent amount of throttle.

Handling - The added heft with the battery is felt in the E-Hybrid...air suspension and PDCC hide some of it. My comparison is not apples to apples since my GTS did not have PDCC but my GTS was more engaging in the curves...maybe not faster but more engaging. Even with PDCC, you can tell the E-Hybrid has a lot of weight moving through the corners. The E-Hybrid has crisper steering in my opinion but the GTS has a better heft to the steering, maybe supplemented by the chunkier steering wheel.

Fun to Drive - Probably the GTS. It felt more sporty, more of an occasion to drive. The E-Hybrid is more jack of all trades with the many drive modes..cruise around town on electric mode, hustle it in sport mode, put it in hybrid auto and let it do its thing. I still have fun driving my E-Hybrid but I feel myself wanting to play race car driver in my E-Hybrid less than I did in my GTS.

Infotainment/Tech - 2019 (9Y0) by a long shot..it is not even close. Much crisper graphics, much larger center screen, much better screen next to tach. The 2016 has graphics that feel 2010 to me. It was not until 2017 that the Cayenne got a better screen with Apple CarPlay capability (albeit still much smaller than the 2019s screen).

The seats on my 2016 GTS were so comfortable, the comfiest seats of any car I have owned. I could drive 6 hours in the car and not feel uncomfortable. The seats in my 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid are comfortable, but not OMG comfortable like the 2016 GTS.

Both have proven nice to own. I drive around 25,000 miles per year, mostly mixed town driving with a bit of highway so the gas mileage is a factor. In my 2016 GTS, I was getting around 14.5 MPG and in my Cayenne E-Hybrid, I am getting around 22 MPG as long as I charge the battery each night. At $5-$6 per gallon in CA, that does make a bit of difference. The running joke on the forums is that you are buying a Porsche so who cares about gas mileage. I know that is not really a joke, but the E-Hybrid tries to balance the two.

Your concerns about age and modern features were things I contemplated when I made the switch. I bought my 2016 Cayenne GTS as a CPO with 60,000 miles and put 25,000 miles on it and it was rock solid the whole time, never had anything wrong with it. Owned it from the Summer of 2020 till January 2022. I purchased my 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid with 16,000 miles in December of 2021 and have put about 15,000 miles on it since. I have had one issue so far with the E-power mode not working. Under warranty but still out of service for a couple of days.

If you desire a driver with more of a sporty feel, I would go with the GTS. If you can forgo a bit of sportiness, but not necessarily speed, in search of a newer platform with better/more updated features, I would go with the E-Hybrid. Ideally, you would drive both. Both are awesome cars but you can tell they are a bit different in their purpose.

With respect to going new vs. used for the new-gen E-Hybrid, I guess it would depend on how much of a discount vs new/MSRP you are getting on the CPO Cayenne E-Hybrid and if the options on it are fitting for you. If you are seeking a highly-optioned Cayenne E-Hybrid, I think it may make sense to buy CPO or even used as the discount vs. new could be significant. Mine was optioned to around $129K and I paid much, much less than that. Almost a whole Tesla Model 3 less. If money was not a factor, I would spend far more for a new GTS, stomp it at every opportunity, and spend an extra $500 per month on gas versus what I pay now for gas in my E-Hybrid.

Quick Reply: First Post- Requesting Guidance, 2016 Cayenne GTS or 2019 Cayenne E-Hyrbid