Sponsored By:

Cayenne GTS 2013 body repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 12:13 PM
Pttk
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phsingl
obviously if there’s an emotional connection to the car that changes things to a degree. I would still argue that unless you cannot find a similar car in Chile that there is no way this makes any financial sense. I do personally think some of the mangled aluminum between the wheel and A pillar is structural but I’m no chassis engineer so I wish you luck in your journey.

I had a racing Mini with over $50k invested into it when I was in Hong Kong. Always planned to bring it back to the US with me but the EPA had other ideas. I tried for a year to get the car here (I loved that machine) but short of stripping all the parts and shipping them to affix to a US donor car there was no solution. The car was then involved in a shunt in HK whilst I was in US and I nearly flew over to strip parts myself. Eventually it became clear it wasn’t worth the time or effort (e.g. 3 Ohlins shocks are not exactly useful) so I moved on. I understand the emotional pull some cars can have.
Thank you all, I will continue with the analysis and quotes, then I will tell you that I resolve
The following 2 users liked this post by Pttk:
CAVU (01-12-2022), lml999 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 06:12 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Even if there is no other Cayenne available in all of Chile, that still wouldn’t make this a good decision to try to repair. You’ll be so upside down forever with a car that will probably have a salvaged title to boot. Can’t see any upside or rationale to make this work unless they pay you $30k to take it.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:14 PM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

This is my old 2013 diesel that was totaled back in June. This damage looks nowhere near as bad as the car you posted.

The insurance adjuster stopped calculating when he hit $18K in parts. I know the guy that ended up buying it as a salvage car, and he did get it back together. I think he was close to 10K, likely not replacing some things that should have been, doing 100% of the work himself, and it's not perfect.

The car you purchased looks so much worse, and almost zero way unless you steal all of the parts that it is worth fixing that car.

Quick Reply: Cayenne GTS 2013 body repair