Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New to me Cayenne purchase... V6, Diesel or Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:41 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

That is very well said above: there is truly a Cayenne for just about everyone.

My quick thoughts about the 958.1 models, in case it's helpful for you:
If you just want something to drive with a nice interior and a fairly good looks, used for work or errands and your Cayenne passion might end there, then a Base might be fine. With that said, a base is still able to tow just fine, still can off-road, and is quite comfy. It just doesn't have lots of comfy, fancy, sporty options.

If gas mileage is your primary source of Cayenne pleasure, and you can overlook oily gas pump handles, a different (I'd personally say it's bad) smelling exhaust vs a gasser, excess vibration from the engine, an economy focused running gear and drivetrain, a buzzy engine with a narrow torque band, needing to add DEF before your engine locks you out, more frequent oil change intervals, fuel filter draining intervals, wondering if the gas station's diesel is fresh or the right blend, the potential for the complicated emissions stuff to go bad if you keep the vehicle out of warranty, and don't care for fancy Porsche options (since a Diesel is nearest the base model in the ladder of models), then a Diesel might be good.

While the S-Hybrid and SE-Hybrid usually has more options and more often has air suspension than a base or diesel, the hybrid is for someone that sees owning a hybrid to be the most important part of Cayenne ownership, since it's not meant to tow or go off-road, and not meant to be a DIY vehicle, and isn't a performance driving focused vehicle. You've got to want a hybrid to be fine with overlooking the Porsche experience, whether that's driving, or wrenching, or owning it long term.

If you want a more enthusiastic Cayenne version with more options to augment the experience because that matters to you, and the fun (sound, torque, power, reliability) of the V8 is recognizable to you, then an S is a good choice at the lower price range versus the versions that come next. The S has great capabilities: sporty to drive (especially with air suspension), comfy with more options, tows great, capable off-roader, fair economy.

The GTS has lots of nice options standard, it looks fast, and sounds fast with its great engine and exhaust, but it isn't really fast compared to a Turbo. You have to like the looks of the aero body kit, since it makes the vehicle look overweight, and having a tight handling, more bumpy Cayenne (usually due to the wheel/tire combo) should be important to you. The GTS's suspension is lower and the aero kit makes its body lower so you have less clearance in case you try off-roading. A GTS is definitely a road-focused vehicle. Gas mileage isn't great thanks to the gearing.

The Turbo is fast and the engine noise is wonderful; it's definitely a fun vehicle and it often has lots of fun-focused and expensive options. But some turbos have lots of options, while others don't, yet they cost the same on the used car market, which makes one turbo actually very different than another. You really need to look at its options when comparing models. I think the turbo looks more truck-like versus the GTS or TurboS due to its body appearance with contrasting fender liners, and it's usually not wearing 21" wheels. The turbo also has the highest suspension height being 5mm higher than the Base, S, Diesel or Hybrid.

Turbo S is a highly optioned Turbo that has the GTS aero kit look and due to its body, wheels and brakes, has the same road-focus as a GTS.

Hope those opinions are helpful!
The following 4 users liked this post by garrett376:
55fanatic (07-14-2019), bobcatwong (07-17-2019), Chaos (06-14-2020), scootr (08-16-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:17 AM
55fanatic
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
55f:

My opinion is that both the Diesel and Hybrid versions of the 958 are great vehicles. The Diesel is the range-between-fill-ups winner but offers less performance in the acceleration category. It is also discontinued likely to its link to Diesel-Gate. The Hybrid employs an electrically assisted steering rack which some [many] believe degrades the steering feel of the SUV. The Hybrid is heavier, offers a little less cargo space, doesn't have a spare tire, requires some getting-used-to from a braking perspective and few [none?] have factory-supported tow hitches. The good news is that the lineup offers something for just about everyone.

I have left a ton of other details out but both the Diesel and the Hybrid are great cruisers, offer reasonable storage and can transport 5 adults in excellent comfort. If you are into diesels the Cayenne Diesel is a great one. If you tilt toward Plug-In Hybrids, the Cayenne e-hybrid is a pretty good one. It looks like the 2019 e-hybrid is a significantly better one with more power, torque and electric range.

Sounds like you have some fun choices ahead of you!

Hank
That's some great feedback, appreciate it. I guess it sounds like the Hybrid is not really what Im looking for. The Diesel could be a solid power plant... looking at tuning options, it looks like the tuned 3.0l is a nice package. If Im going to leave it stock though, sounds like I am looking at a regular S
Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 AM
55fanatic
Track Day

Originally Posted by garrett376
That is very well said above: there is truly a Cayenne for just about everyone.

My quick thoughts about the 958.1 models, in case it's helpful for you:
If you just want something to drive with a nice interior and a fairly good looks, used for work or errands and your Cayenne passion might end there, then a Base might be fine. With that said, a base is still able to tow just fine, still can off-road, and is quite comfy. It just doesn't have lots of comfy, fancy, sporty options.

If gas mileage is your primary source of Cayenne pleasure, and you can overlook oily gas pump handles, a different (I'd personally say it's bad) smelling exhaust vs a gasser, excess vibration from the engine, an economy focused running gear and drivetrain, a buzzy engine with a narrow torque band, needing to add DEF before your engine locks you out, more frequent oil change intervals, fuel filter draining intervals, wondering if the gas station's diesel is fresh or the right blend, the potential for the complicated emissions stuff to go bad if you keep the vehicle out of warranty, and don't care for fancy Porsche options (since a Diesel is nearest the base model in the ladder of models), then a Diesel might be good.

While the S-Hybrid and SE-Hybrid usually has more options and more often has air suspension than a base or diesel, the hybrid is for someone that sees owning a hybrid to be the most important part of Cayenne ownership, since it's not meant to tow or go off-road, and not meant to be a DIY vehicle, and isn't a performance driving focused vehicle. You've got to want a hybrid to be fine with overlooking the Porsche experience, whether that's driving, or wrenching, or owning it long term.

If you want a more enthusiastic Cayenne version with more options to augment the experience because that matters to you, and the fun (sound, torque, power, reliability) of the V8 is recognizable to you, then an S is a good choice at the lower price range versus the versions that come next. The S has great capabilities: sporty to drive (especially with air suspension), comfy with more options, tows great, capable off-roader, fair economy.

The GTS has lots of nice options standard, it looks fast, and sounds fast with its great engine and exhaust, but it isn't really fast compared to a Turbo. You have to like the looks of the aero body kit, since it makes the vehicle look overweight, and having a tight handling, more bumpy Cayenne (usually due to the wheel/tire combo) should be important to you. The GTS's suspension is lower and the aero kit makes its body lower so you have less clearance in case you try off-roading. A GTS is definitely a road-focused vehicle. Gas mileage isn't great thanks to the gearing.

The Turbo is fast and the engine noise is wonderful; it's definitely a fun vehicle and it often has lots of fun-focused and expensive options. But some turbos have lots of options, while others don't, yet they cost the same on the used car market, which makes one turbo actually very different than another. You really need to look at its options when comparing models. I think the turbo looks more truck-like versus the GTS or TurboS due to its body appearance with contrasting fender liners, and it's usually not wearing 21" wheels. The turbo also has the highest suspension height being 5mm higher than the Base, S, Diesel or Hybrid.

Turbo S is a highly optioned Turbo that has the GTS aero kit look and due to its body, wheels and brakes, has the same road-focus as a GTS.

Hope those opinions are helpful!
This is also pretty helpful. Unfortunately the Turbo and GTS just aren't in the cards for me right now.

I wont off road it per say but I will probably have some amber strobe lights installed in the truck and will literally go off the road and go through city parks on sidewalks etc as I may be working on a public Art Exhibit one day, or managing my crowd management and parking team another day. Any of these will be able to hop a sidewalk(I do it now in my S4). I love the paint matched molding and will probably add it if its not on the specific vehicle I get. As for wheels, I am hoping for either the 21s or maybe an aftermarket set of 22s
Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 AM
55fanatic
Track Day

what are the biggest differences between the GTS and the regular S?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
what are the biggest differences between the GTS and the regular S?
Think of the gts as a turbo without the turbo engine and the S as a base with a V8.

So the gts gets the turbo style bumpers and aero kit, brakes, sportier suspension and a few other things with the S motor plus about 20hp.

The S depending on options can be the same as a base just with more power.
The following users liked this post:
55fanatic (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM
55fanatic
Track Day

can the S reach the power levels of the GTS(with aftermarket support/OEM parts)?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM
awd.tech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'm not him, but I did put together the transfer case survey.. and the reason that can be said is so far as I remember - there are perhaps 2 failures of diesel transfer cases and no hybrid cases that I can remember. That's compared to a few hundred gasoline power transfer cases. It's enough different even from the sales number differences to make those two stand out.
In our opinion, a four-wheel drive system for some hybrid models has the same transmission box of 0BU341011M / 95834102012 as for the non-hybrid ones (for example 3.0 Diesel). You did not hear about failures of hybrid cases because the Torsen boxes are more reliable than others. However, their chains can get loose as well, or Torsen differential can get broken (unfortunately it cannot be purchased at the moment).
Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 AM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you keep your cars for a very long time and if you run into a diesel that had a leak and was resealed with gaskets, get that. Change the transfer case fluid every other oil change and change the transmission fluid (mine was very dark at 80k), that iron engine and Toyota transmission will last forever.

Mine rides like an airplane.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376

I'd have to respectfully disagree w/ part of this quote above. Have you ever driven an SEH? It has roughly the same 0-60 time as the GTS, an extra 100+ hp on demand w/ the electric, and I've filled up the tank 6 times in 6,200 miles. It's not for everyone, but I have to disagree with those that say it isn't a performance driving SUV.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 PM
JohnsonAV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raydog9379
I'd have to respectfully disagree w/ part of this quote above. Have you ever driven an SEH? It has roughly the same 0-60 time as the GTS, an extra 100+ hp on demand w/ the electric, and I've filled up the tank 6 times in 6,200 miles. It's not for everyone, but I have to disagree with those that say it isn't a performance driving SUV.
Thanks Raydog! Right now I'm debating between a '08 GTS and the '11 Hybrid S. Hybrid has 17k more miles on it, but is decked out with options (air ride suspension, vented seats, leather, etc.). Gonna test drive both tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:45 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts

Of all of these, the hybrid would be my last choice. I'm nit sure that the technology is there yet. We've had a few problems with my wife's S e-hybrid Panamera. The dealership has told me what the parts would cost out of warranty, and it made the hair on my neck stand up. Turbo repairs are cheaper. There is a guy at my office who also has a CD. He pulls his boat with it, and says it does a fantastic job. While my CD lacks some nice exhaust notes, it doesn't sound like a sewing machine, acceleration is good (no turbo lag except up hills of a certain grade and higher....some say that is mostly in the 2015's), and I have never smelled a bad smell from my exhaust gasses.

If budget was no option, I would have bought a GTS, but the CD was a great deal, and the ten year diesel warranty over and above the CPO gives me a sense of security. I did add the sport exhaust tips.

Enjoy whatever you buy and let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by raydog9379
I drove an S Hybrid daily for almost two months straight. But no, not an S-E Hybrid. The original poster is looking at 2011-2014 models, so he'd be looking at an S Hybrid.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:14 PM
55fanatic
Track Day

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. The best advice was get out there and drive everything. I spent time in a GTS, S and Base... there were no diesels or hybrids that I could easily drive. Unfortunately I realized I'm in a real competitive price point And every certified car I tried to buy I was late to the party. In the end I found a 2014 Cayenne S with 64k miles at a little rinky dink dealer that specializes in used luxury cars. Had a PPI today and it passed with flying colors... new tires/new brakes, transfer case had been replaced, no errors via Porsche scan tool, high pressure fuel pump was clean and no signs of oil or coolant leaks. The negative is the car has some slight scrapes but they're all surface based and should come off with a thorough paint correction. In December I'll plan to do the major service.

the build sheet:
BASECayenne S

1BKAir Suspension with height adjustment and PASM

1D6Trailer Hitch without Receiver / Tow Ball

1NPWheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest

2ZHMultifunction Steering Wheel incl. Steering Wheel Heating

3FUPanorama Roof System

3S1Roof Rails in Aluminum Finish

7V3Instruments dials in White

9QMeteor Grey Metallic

C8K19" Cayenne Turbo Wheel

MAStandard Interior in Black

PE5Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package

PU3Premium Package Plus

PU6Bose® Audio Package

Quick Reply: New to me Cayenne purchase... V6, Diesel or Hybrid?