Sponsored By:

Cost of hitch installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:17 PM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cost of hitch installation

Anyone pay the dealer to install a tow hitch? I purchased the hitch and harness for my 18 CS and chickened out on the install when I realized what all is involved. What will the dealer likely charge me for labor? Thanks
Old 07-08-2019, 05:32 PM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

My dealer said 5 hours and that's with coding and testing. I installed mine and it took me longer than that but it was the first time I did that.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I’ve heard between 2k-2300. That includes the hitch. So maybe 800-1k labor if you have hitch. Going to find out with my dealer this week. Need to get one for a sea doo and tear drop trailer by next year
Old 07-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

this job is very very easy. Nothing intimidating. There are excellent diy instructions out there for pulling the bumper and any trim needed to install everything.
The following users liked this post:
carlvs (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Kayze
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the dealer add a hitch to my 15 CD. Dealer told me 2k to add the hitch. I just looked at the invoice to check but they didn’t add a cost to that line item as we negotiated most of that cost out of the deal
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

I did aftermarket. A good fit. $800 then a Prodigy RF controller.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I just did the OE one. It's easy. Easier than an oil change. I'd say the removing the bumper is a 3/10 and removing the interior panel a 3.5/10.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:34 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

When adding a hitch, please understand that unless you add the factory tow module as well you won't get all the functionality, especially not sway control. Had a member on a RV trailer forum flip his rig from uncontrolled trailer sway. He had added an aftermarket hitch on a Merc ML.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
When adding a hitch, please understand that unless you add the factory tow module as well you won't get all the functionality, especially not sway control. Had a member on a RV trailer forum flip his rig from uncontrolled trailer sway. He had added an aftermarket hitch on a Merc ML.
Does Porsche claim the Cayenne provides sway control? I have never seen this claim.

Do I understand correctly that sway control is accomplished by first sensing the yaw (side-to-side “sway”) and then selectively braking individual wheels to dampen/cancel the yaw? Does all Cayennes have the yaw sensors and brake hardware necessary to control sway without operator input? My PTV+ has the capability to brake individual rear wheels but not every Cayenne is so equipped.

I thought adding the factory module provided proper operation of the 7-pin electrical connector (for trailer lights and electric brakes), disabled the rear parking sensors and rear hatch when connected to a trailer and possibly adjusted transmission shift points. A separate brake controller is required if using electric trailer brakes.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:40 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/.../12/202/Towing

Trailer Stability Management (depending on country equipment)
Trailer Stability Management is an assistance function in PSM for driving with a trailer.

Trailer Stability Management detects snaking of the vehicle-trailer combination.

If such critical driving situations are detected, slight snaking of the vehicle-trailer combination is stabilised by individual braking interventions on the wheels of the front axle. The driver can still accelerate the vehicle-trailer combination. In the event of more severe snaking, the Trailer Stability Management function brakes the vehicle until the vehicle-trailer combination is stabilised.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What years Cayenne have this feature?

The above link mentions "depending on country equipment"??

Wonder if that means it was a feature for Cayennes only in certain countries?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:15 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

1 word..... Ebay!

Get the Touareg package. make sure control module is F and get new screws from dealer. Done.
The following users liked this post:
blockhed (02-02-2022)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:15 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Trailer Stability Management is an assistance function in PSM for driving with a trailer.

Trailer Stability Management detects snaking of the vehicle-trailer combination.

If such critical driving situations are detected, slight snaking of the vehicle-trailer combination is stabilised by individual braking interventions on the wheels of the front axle. The driver can still accelerate the vehicle-trailer combination. In the event of more severe snaking, the Trailer Stability Management function brakes the vehicle until the vehicle-trailer combination is stabilised.
I can’t find a similar entry in the manual for my 2011. But every Cayenne has Porsche Stability Management, correct? PSM does have yaw sensors and the ability to brake individual wheels so it is reasonable to think PSM can provide sway control if the car is coded to recognize when a trailer is connected.

I hope some knowledgeable person can confirm whether every Cayenne has this capability.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:50 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
1 word..... Ebay!

Get the Touareg package. make sure control module is F and get new screws from dealer. Done.
I don't necessarily want to be "that guy" but would you happen to have a link to such a listing on eBay (yes I searched but saw many different listings)? I'd love to see what you're referring to since I was thinking of installing a hitch on the GTS to tow bicycles around.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:11 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I found this article from 2008 that mentions back then the Cayenne came standard with the Trailer Stability Control. So hopefully all the newer model years also came with it.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...orsche_cayenne

Quick Reply: Cost of hitch installation