tow module...working?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts
Default tow module...working?

Guys,
Installed all the factory tow stuff and "f" module from a used cayenne.

I hooked up my tire trailer with a 7 to 4 pin adapter. The lights work great but i get nothing on the dash. Is this due to the 4 plug thing or adapter or is this module not working?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2019, 08:05 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

You have to get the module turned on from the dealer. It's part of the CAN bus system in the car.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

As noted, the dealer has to code the module. Took them about 30 minutes and $90 to do mine.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

another poster said his worked straight away, hence my question. Seems I did not get so lucky.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Not sure what you mean by not working...... Mine works and I know for sure, but.. nothing shows up on the dash when you connect the trailer because my cluster doesn't have that light that indicates a trailer connected. However, if i pull out the light bulb on the trailer, right away on the dash window where you get messages, it says trailer light out. Thus i know it works.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Not sure what you mean by not working...... Mine works and I know for sure, but.. nothing shows up on the dash when you connect the trailer because my cluster doesn't have that light that indicates a trailer connected. However, if i pull out the light bulb on the trailer, right away on the dash window where you get messages, it says trailer light out. Thus i know it works.
This is the confusion. I did not get the "trailer turn signal on" light, but you're saying you didn't either and that your car doesn't have that light?

Didn't try the light bulb test but maybe thats one way to tell.

My trailer lights working threw me off because I figured they wouldn't do that if the module wasn't working.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:03 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The lights working is one thing but making sure the shift points and all other changes are active is what I'd be concerned about. Same goes for making sure the alarm works if the car is off and the trailer is unhooked.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom M
The lights working is one thing but making sure the shift points and all other changes are active is what I'd be concerned about. Same goes for making sure the alarm works if the car is off and the trailer is unhooked.
I'm with you, but aside from the light in the dash for the turn signals, I'm not sure there is a for sure way to test that the unit is working as intended.

Its a bit trivial at this point because all I'm towing for the time being is a 500lb tire trailer, but just in case I need to pull my track car somewhere, I'd like the module working.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
The lights working is one thing but making sure the shift points and all other changes are active is what I'd be concerned about.
I've been curious of how much the trailer mode was affecting shift points after being caught in a high gear at low RPM while trailering, so I did some careful observation of data in the Torque app. Unfortunately, the shift points don't really change at all. We *think* the shift points change, but it's because when towing a trailer, we're into the accelerator pedal more, and that changes shift points based on load/throttle, not because the computer does anything special. It was more than a bit of a let down, to be honest. Using the fuel rate figure, when accelerating with a trailer at the same fuel rate as without a trailer, the shift points were basically identical.

More concerning to me - the cooling system doesn't change because of 'trailer mode'. The grille shutters and thermostats still behave the same as they do without a trailer. Activating sport mode, however, opens up the cooling system and brings a significant change in coolant and oil temps. I prefer the throttle response of non-sport mode when towing, but want the better cooling, so I deal with the sensitive pedal. The firmer shifts are also better for the clutches in the trans.

Plugging in the trailer *does* disable the Lane Change Assist, removes the grid lines when reversing, and the aforementioned alarm system change, but that's it.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:07 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

On 958, you should not need any programming if you got the used tow computer. New units require coding, but used ones "should" be fine. Such was my experience when I was trying to code the tow computer for F SANE IL with PIWIS - there was nothing to code, everything was already there.
On 957, you need to visit the dealer if you want all the functionality enabled.

To test, plug in a trailer - all you care about is the electrical plug in. The following should happen:
1. When you turn on left or right turn signal, you get the <=1=> icon on your dash blinking along with the side indicator. EDIT: This was a feature on 955/957 and may have been removed in 958. I'm not 100% sure here.
2. Rear parking sensors disabled, if so equipped.
3. Tail gate button on the remote will pop open the lock but will not open the tail gate with trailer plugged in.
4. When car is locked and armed, unplugging the trailer connector should set off the alarm.

Check and report back. 7-to-4 trailer adapter is fine.

Last edited by slavie; 07-01-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by slavie
On 958, you should not need any programming if you got the used tow computer. New units require coding, but used ones "should" be fine. Such was my experience when I was trying to code the tow computer for F SANE IL with PIWIS - there was nothing to code, everything was already there.
On 957, you need to visit the dealer if you want all the functionality enabled.

To test, plug in a trailer - all you care about is the electrical plug in. The following should happen:
1. When you turn on left or right turn signal, you get the <=1=> icon on your dash blinking along with the side indicator
2. Rear parking sensors disabled, if so equipped.
3. Tail gate button on the remote will pop open the lock but will not open the tail gate with trailer plugged in.
4. When car is locked and armed, unplugging the trailer connector should set off the alarm.

Check and report back. 7-to-4 trailer adapter is fine.
Thanks for the info.

So far, I did not get the icon on the dash.

I will have to review the other things though as I haven't checked those.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:01 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Thanks for the info.

So far, I did not get the icon on the dash.

I will have to review the other things though as I haven't checked those.
I have the turn signal light for both 4 and 7 pin applications. Also does everything mentioned above, and disables the blind spot monitoring.

Mine came with it from the factory, so I think it should be working correctly (but who knows).
Old 06-29-2019, 08:36 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Park sensors, grid lines, green flasher indicator. Those are the ways to tell. Shift points would be nice, but it doesn't happen.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

No go. Module is not doing any of those things but for some reason when you hook up trailer auto start stop deactivates. If it doesnt do anything with cooling or tranny programming then i may not mess with it
Old 07-01-2019, 07:58 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that it does something with stability control and active sway control. Perhaps someone can elaborate.

Quick Reply: tow module...working?