Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Have you noticed drivers treating you differently?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Have you noticed drivers treating you differently?

Hi all.
We've all driven lots of different sorts of cars... Have you ever detected a trending difference in the way the traffic around you reacts to you and your car, depending on the car you're driving? As a silly outlier example, when I commuted on an ex-CHP Kawasaki, I got so much space and 'respect' it was humorous! When I drove my Palatov D2, it was constant thumbs-ups and folks in random cars zooming up behind, so someone could hang out the window to take a pic....

I am not absolutely sure it isn't projection, but in the cayenne, it seems more people are being more aggressive, cutting me off... And when I drive my hoopty-plain Honda Odyssey it's not like that... Odd...
Old 06-03-2019, 03:10 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I see a bit of that - possibly more worn vehicles know that you don't want to bend your Cayenne so they'll challenge you more readily.. Noticed that especially driving in LA last month.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:27 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Coming from 10 years of driving BMWs I've been noticing other drivers are a bit less hostile than what I'm used to when I drive the cayenne.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Where I live (SC) its a constant effort each and every day to not get in a wreck it seems like. I am pretty convinced 30% of the drivers here are rolling around with no license or insurance.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:29 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure I'm seen differently, but myself I despise any Prius on the road, especially those hogging up left lanes. Sorry, I am a fairly impatient driver, that's just hard truth. I've been trying to change though, for the last 6 months or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by zamorskii:
dimeadip (08-18-2019), Pmorritt (06-22-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Anything beyond a BMW 3-series or MB C class is pretty unusual around here, so I've definitely gotten negative looks / behavior, like when merging, waiting to pull out , etc. - Not being given any favors.

On the other hand, on the interstate, if I come up at a low speed differential to the other car, not much changed. But when I come up on someone quickly, they move... right now. Maybe it's the DRL's or the LED headlights, but whatever it is, it works!

Fortunately I've not had any passive-aggressive instances like being 'keyed'.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

People try to pass me all of the time. They tail gate a lot too. If I’m in my boxster, they’ll flat out try to race, especially at red lights. A few even casually looked over and jumped to attention that it was required that we race.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
People try to pass me all of the time. They tail gate a lot too. If I’m in my boxster, they’ll flat out try to race, especially at red lights. A few even casually looked over and jumped to attention that it was required that we race.
I find it's best to scan the rear view mirrors. With luck there will be a police car a few cars back. I'll creep/rev a little to feign interest and then let the nitwit get themselves a big-*** ticket when the cop comes out from behind...

My '17 is bright blue, I think that gets more looks than anything else. I do note when approaching slow traffic from the rear there seems to be a tendency for people to signal and get over kinda quick. Like they've mistaken how this looks for a police car or something? It's not always, but it's a lot more often than if I'm driving something else.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I find it's best to scan the rear view mirrors. With luck there will be a police car a few cars back. I'll creep/rev a little to feign interest and then let the nitwit get themselves a big-*** ticket when the cop comes out from behind...

My '17 is bright blue, I think that gets more looks than anything else. I do note when approaching slow traffic from the rear there seems to be a tendency for people to signal and get over kinda quick. Like they've mistaken how this looks for a police car or something? It's not always, but it's a lot more often than if I'm driving something else.
Interstate drivers tend to get over quickly when I honestly just want to follow them. Don’t want to be the rabbit :-)

I think they see a Porsche and assume we’ll be speeding and aggressive, which I’m not. Just want someone stable to follow behind.

If its a Prius, they’ll sidle an 18 wheeler so that I can’t pass anyone. I hate those ******.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mrg02D:
kkturbo (08-14-2019), kvec (06-26-2019), Pmorritt (06-22-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 03:52 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

We have noticed a few things while traveling across country during the winter months. Had a person in a pickup spit on the side of the car as we went by in Kansas City. Been cut off a few times when obviously running faster in the left lane. Also the person in the right lane will speed up to not allow us to pass on the interstate. Common denominator: Pickups, especially 3/4 ton diesels. I usually just mind my on business knowing we are just passing through and will never see them again.
Funny story with the Boxster the other day: shot through a right turn sorta fast in sound enhanced mode. When I pulled up to a left turn light the pickup that was behind me slowed when next to me and slammed it down. Guess he liked to sound of the pickup.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by rdboxster
We have noticed a few things while traveling across country during the winter months. Had a person in a pickup spit on the side of the car as we went by in Kansas City. Been cut off a few times when obviously running faster in the left lane. Also the person in the right lane will speed up to not allow us to pass on the interstate. Common denominator: Pickups, especially 3/4 ton diesels. I usually just mind my on business knowing we are just passing through and will never see them again.
Funny story with the Boxster the other day: shot through a right turn sorta fast in sound enhanced mode. When I pulled up to a left turn light the pickup that was behind me slowed when next to me and slammed it down. Guess he liked to sound of the pickup.
Yup, those pickup trucks are obnoxious! They motor around like they’re in a Boxster.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Nope, people drive like idiots regardless of me driving the cayenne, 911, boxster or beater bmw
Old 06-04-2019, 10:23 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems to me everyone drives a good 3-5 mph faster when I'm in the cayenne (vs EVERY other car I drive.)

Generally though, I've found people tend to give me more space and drive slightly less idiotic around me in the cayenne. The G8 GT and GSXR1000R seem to make everyone else think they're in a race car.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

The tailgating KILLS me. "Hey, let's tailgate the car made by the company that's known for amazing brakes!"
Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Maybe we should put the cost to repair on the back of our cars? I’ll bet people would choke to find out how much it costs to fix a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Have you noticed drivers treating you differently?