Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Center console buttons and lights not working

Old 05-08-2019, 11:28 AM
imlost
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Center console buttons and lights not working

I have a new to me 2017 Cayenne and my climate control is always showing "Off", none of the buttons for AC/ fan/ temperature on the center console works nor do they light up when pressed (turning red indicating it's on), but the hazard light button works and the On/off road switch works.

I'm thinking it could be one of three things:
  • A blown fuse that controls power to the center console
  • ECU detected AC fault and shut down the whole system. I had to replace a leaky radiator, and the AC condenser was removed (as were all the refrigerant), Maybe without enough freon, the ECU decided to cut it off.
  • AC compressor is broken - the wheel for the compressor is rotating. It look like the whole clutch is turning, even though I have no way to turn on the AC, and I have a AC manifold gauge on it, no pressure is building

Has anyone had any experience with this issue before? If it's a fuse issue, anyone know which fuse I should be testing? At this point I might test every single fuse one at a time, but there are over 100 fuses just in the cabin and narrowing it down would be great!

Would I benefit from having a dealer use a PIWIS II to narrow down why this is not working? I would prefer to fix this myself if I can, so hopefully it will just be a diagnostic service from dealer that I will be paying.

Hazard Light works, display says \"Off", none of the climate control/AC buttons work.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd check all the fuses (owners manuals pages: left and right). Right #50 and left #22 come to mind as starting points. But not knowing what steps you took to do that work, I'd recommend checking ALL of them to make sure they're all good.

There are multiple connections involved in the center console that's around/ahead of the shifter. It's one physical module, but wired separately. I believe the front BCM handles the wiring, but I'm not certain.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2017 should still be under warranty. Why don't you let the dealer fix it?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

^^^

2017 should still be under warranty. Let the dealer mess with it. I'd hate to have you take it apart and then have the dealer blame YOU.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

I wasn't going to say... but, yeah, it did seem odd to have this happening on a '17. Any number of reasons, I suppose, but the guy still needs answers, so I figured it was worth replying.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Shad Ellis
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imlost
I have a new to me 2017 Cayenne and my climate control is always showing "Off", none of the buttons for AC/ fan/ temperature on the center console works nor do they light up when pressed (turning red indicating it's on), but the hazard light button works and the On/off road switch works.

I'm thinking it could be one of three things:
  • A blown fuse that controls power to the center console
  • ECU detected AC fault and shut down the whole system. I had to replace a leaky radiator, and the AC condenser was removed (as were all the refrigerant), Maybe without enough freon, the ECU decided to cut it off.
  • AC compressor is broken - the wheel for the compressor is rotating. It look like the whole clutch is turning, even though I have no way to turn on the AC, and I have a AC manifold gauge on it, no pressure is building

Has anyone had any experience with this issue before? If it's a fuse issue, anyone know which fuse I should be testing? At this point I might test every single fuse one at a time, but there are over 100 fuses just in the cabin and narrowing it down would be great!

Would I benefit from having a dealer use a PIWIS II to narrow down why this is not working? I would prefer to fix this myself if I can, so hopefully it will just be a diagnostic service from dealer that I will be paying.

Hazard Light works, display says "Off", none of the climate control/AC buttons work.
I am having the same problem with my 2011 Cayenne did you get it fixed and if so what was the issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center console buttons and lights not working