Sponsored By:

CTT won't start! Brake Pedal hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 04:50 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,637 Posts
Default CTT won't start! Brake Pedal hard

So I out with some coworkers and at evenings end I offered to drive a friend home, who had ubered to the restaurant. We get in the car and I start it up. He then wonders why no key turn to start the car and I explained that I did turn the key but you also have to press the brake to ge the car to start. I proceeded to show him this cool feature and did it two more times to show him how it appears that one can start the car by just pressing the brake pedal.

Well, third times a charm. My car cranks but doesn't start. The brake pedal is hard and it feels like the car isn't getting the "Driver is pressing the brake pedal" signal.

Left the car in an underground parking lot and took an uber home.

Any insight from the members? Since I'm off tomorrow, my morning bike ride will be postphoned till I get the car up and running.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

I get the "press brake pedal to start car" in the console if I don't hit the brake when trying to crank on my manual 958. Are you seeing the same? There's a brake pedal travel sensor at the top of the brake pedal, if that's the problem. To make things more interesting, you might need a special tool to remove the brake pedal. Did you read any codes?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If the car cranks then I'm pretty sure it's seeing that the brake pedal is depressed. Definitely need to read the codes to see if anything pops up.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Fuel pump issue?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:35 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Good morning all, I just woke up and will attack this issue today. Before I leave the house, I'll have to research what's going on. The car is 30 minutes away from m house so this isn't going to be an easy task.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Thought HPFP would stutter giving signs of failing
Old 05-01-2019, 02:49 PM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

So it worked, and on the third time it stopped starting up? And the brake pedal is hard?

I would suggest that you make sure that the steering wheel is not locked hard in one direction, and its loose. It could be in a security steering wheel lock?

Also by pumping the brakes during your demo without having the car on for a while- I'm guess here- the master cylinder is pumped up, so its locked on high pressure. The brake pedal does not go down enough to move the microswitch that would tell the system you have pressed the brakes. Might try going nuts pressing it down in order for the switch to activate. Or overnight, that pressure could be released more, and it just starts when you get there.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2019, 03:25 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Young
So it worked, and on the third time it stopped starting up? And the brake pedal is hard?

I would suggest that you make sure that the steering wheel is not locked hard in one direction, and its loose. It could be in a security steering wheel lock?

Also by pumping the brakes during your demo without having the car on for a while- I'm guess here- the master cylinder is pumped up, so its locked on high pressure. The brake pedal does not go down enough to move the microswitch that would tell the system you have pressed the brakes. Might try going nuts pressing it down in order for the switch to activate. Or overnight, that pressure could be released more, and it just starts when you get there.

Good luck!
steering wheel is unlocked

i was thinking about the micro switch not getting activated but the car cranks. It just doesn’t start. I can crank it for a as long as I want, just seems like no spark or fuel.

I think some failsafe has kicked kicked in or I blew a relay showing off.

so upset as the car car has been running amazing.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:32 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Sorry to see trouble, but keeping my eyes on this to memorize forever.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:46 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Flatbed tow truck failed at getting the car out of the subterranean garage .

Next is to dolly the car car out and then once on the street flatbed to dealer. I’m don’t with trying to troubleshoot the issue underground where there is no cell service .

Walking upstairs to gather intel then back down to the garage to troubleshoot is not worth my time. This one gets handled by the dealer.

Hope this his second attempt to get the car out of the garage is a success
Old 05-01-2019, 06:33 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, that sucks big time. feel sorry for you.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

Next is to dolly the car car out and then once on the street flatbed to dealer. I’m don’t with trying to troubleshoot the issue underground where there is no cell service .

Walking upstairs to gather intel then back down to the garage to troubleshoot is not worth my time. This one gets handled by the dealer.

Would their be a way to towstrap it out of there if you can get the transmission into neutral? If I was local, I'd pull you out as I have a strap in the back at all times.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I think I know where to procure a 3,000 mile strap.

Ok third times a charm. First truck pulled up and bailed. Second truck a flatbed couldn't pull it off, I was like we can get it out and he was scared. Overhead clearance was tight and there would have been a few signs that I would have had to swing out of the way for clearance but it was doable. Third truck hooked up the car in 10 minutes and we were on our way to the dealership. You can see my Sprint Blue RS4 on the right as the truck is driving away.

Love my service advisor and hoping he has good news for me tomorrow. Usually there is a 2 week wait to get your car in but they managed to get me in and they will ave an answer from in the am. Wish me luck guys. I'm hoping that this one won't break the bank.

While the car is in there, i'm going to get it aligned. It's almost perfect but has a very slight drift to the left. It's oh so slight but Want to see how good the dealer's alignment really is.

Video of the ambulance taking my baby away. I know, flkr album is open. Nothing to really see though.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

If the garage was the only issue, I'd push it out to the street with a friend or pull with tie downs.

Quick Reply: CTT won't start! Brake Pedal hard