Cayenne Diesel purchasing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:57 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel purchasing question

Hey All,

I've been in the market for a CD for a little while. Been pretty picky, but admittedly should have pulled the trigger on one and am kicking myself now. I'm looking for a '14-'16 with 40-50k miles, and obviously the longest warranty date I can find (also white exterior, black interior). My question is:

I recently found one for sale that is unfixed, which seems to be pretty rare by now. This would give me a pretty long warranty period (its a 2015, so I think I'd get the additional 4 years 48k miles before I hit the 10 years after in service date in 2024). However, is it worth the risk of having post-fix issues? The other "fixed" ones I've driven, I can beat on them on a test drive and make sure they perform normally. This one, I'd be stuck with frequent trips to the dealer if it had issues.

trdr: is an unfixed CD worth the risk of post fix issues for the longer warranty?
Old 04-26-2019, 12:26 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I have read here, there may be issues with an unfixed vehicle. I think it was reported that Massachusetts will not approve inspection, and therefore one cannot renew registration, on an unfixed vehicle. If true, it may be true for other states.

If you haven't read it, check out post #4 in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-coverage.html

I can confirm that it is the official position of Porsche as I have seen it on a dealer's screen. I can further confirm that CPO adds on to the end of the extended new car warranty as claimed later in the same thread.

I bought a fixed 2015 with an in-service data of 1/15/2015 CPO from a dealer. It is now under the extended new car warranty until 1/15/2021 at which time CPO will take over until 1/15/2023 with no mileage constraints.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:28 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

Why take the chance of an unfixed CD when fixed yields you a ten year diesel warranty, as well as no state inspection issues. I have never driven one that hasn't had the fix done, so I do not know the difference. Can it be that much different? Drive both and decide.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:56 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a fixed diesel. owned since new, pocketed about 7.5k CAD in compensation from Porsche. In the city when applying throttle softly, there will be surges and 1 second lag. If you in the country, its really no issue at all. After a while, you learn to get around it. Its still as sweet as before.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:09 PM
jfitzoz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 CAYENNE DIESEL OWNER LOOKING FOR A 2015-2016 CD

I bought a used 2013 Cayenne Diesel before the VW class settlement. I got the settlement money in exchange for the emission modification and I continue to get great mileage and power with CD.

I also have a 2016 Macan S and it gets poor gas mileage compared to the diesel. However, the Macan S is a great unconventional SUV, but it is smaller than the 958 and the 2019 Cayenne base.

I am now looking for a 2015/2016 Cayenne Diesel because prices are coming down even with low miles and the class action settlement warranty. Don't forget the extended factory warranty.

The new 2019 Cayenne has the Macan S engine and the passenger compartment is actually smaller than the 958 model.

The 2019 Cayenne, new or used, is being sold for about $70-$80K or more compared to $40K plus for a 2015-2016 CD with warranty.

Save your money, buy a diesel. The price of fuel is going up, up, up!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Great Spec CD I might Sell....2014 with 55,000 White w/ Red interior..All Leather Dash and tons of options.......Euro Delivery back in 2014...... It is fixed.....but has the long warranty..... PM me if you are interested.... Located in So Cal
Old 05-01-2019, 02:17 AM
orangebox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks 1
I have a Great Spec CD I might Sell....2014 with 55,000 White w/ Red interior..All Leather Dash and tons of options.......Euro Delivery back in 2014...... It is fixed.....but has the long warranty..... PM me if you are interested.... Located in So Cal
Werks 1 does your CD have the factory tow hitch?
Old 05-12-2019, 05:02 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you guys may have missed the point, or I didn't make it clearly...

I would obviously get the unfixed vehicle FIXED to get the warranty. The later the vehicle is fixed, the longer the warranty (limiting factor is the 10 year in service date). My question revolved more around the possibility of dealing with post-fix issues on a vehicle I already purchased, rather than buying a fixed vehicle that I was able to test drive and be sure no issues exist.

Maybe a stupid question.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Lightemup67

Add blue heater recall. That is the only issue we have had.
Otherwise, no issues in 35,000 miles.
Really enjoyable vehicle.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Hey All,

I've been in the market for a CD for a little while. Been pretty picky, but admittedly should have pulled the trigger on one and am kicking myself now. I'm looking for a '14-'16 with 40-50k miles, and obviously the longest warranty date I can find (also white exterior, black interior). My question is:

I recently found one for sale that is unfixed, which seems to be pretty rare by now. This would give me a pretty long warranty period (its a 2015, so I think I'd get the additional 4 years 48k miles before I hit the 10 years after in service date in 2024). However, is it worth the risk of having post-fix issues? The other "fixed" ones I've driven, I can beat on them on a test drive and make sure they perform normally. This one, I'd be stuck with frequent trips to the dealer if it had issues.

trdr: is an unfixed CD worth the risk of post fix issues for the longer warranty?
Originally Posted by lightemup67
I think you guys may have missed the point, or I didn't make it clearly...

I would obviously get the unfixed vehicle FIXED to get the warranty. The later the vehicle is fixed, the longer the warranty (limiting factor is the 10 year in service date). My question revolved more around the possibility of dealing with post-fix issues on a vehicle I already purchased, rather than buying a fixed vehicle that I was able to test drive and be sure no issues exist.

Maybe a stupid question.
Not sure what you mean by getting the additional 4/48K. If the vehicle was sold before the stop sale, it had an extra 2 years added to the warranty, up to 100K miles. If purchased (punched) after the release, it's a different warranty; see post 4 in the thread linked previously. CPO, if the one you're looking at has it, would add 2 more years (unlimited miles) to that. And then the fix would be the 10/120K.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel purchasing question