Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is there a cellphone holder you particularly like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:04 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is there a cellphone holder you particularly like?

Hi all,
Show pics and say why you like it! I don't want to glue anything to the dash, and a magnet type would be nice but I can't because my phone is on a wireless charger mostly, and any added thickness of a magnet on my case would put it out of charge reach...
Old 04-16-2019, 11:22 AM
tufenhundel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This one, but highly modified

I looked for a long time, and had some same criteria as you--no magnetic mount, no stickies, no vent mount, be as close to road line-o-sight as possible, and not hinder other dash functions. Found nothing, so I modified an iOttie Easy One Touch Mini Air Vent Car Mount for my needs. I like this style cause it's a one handed operation. It's spring loaded arms clamp the phone when the phone pushes a button on its body. In this position, pushing the tabs on each side will open the arms and drop the phone into your hand. Couldn't use the base that came with it, so I fashioned an arm out of aluminum that I screwed to the inside wall of the right hand side air vent. Power cable was routed thru the vent as well. It does hinder the vent vane operation a little. But it is in an optimal position.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just saw a direct fit one the other day

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/958PMK.html
Old 04-16-2019, 02:54 PM
dayvieee
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ever change cases you could probably do a magnet charger. This is my setup with a iPhone XS:

Case:
Amazon Amazon

Magnet:
Amazon Amazon

If you get a similar magnet, a thinner case will hold stronger but for what I have it stays on for my daily driving in San Francisco. It does slide off sometimes when it gets hot outside but I would say it happens every 1/200 drives.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I modified the Rennline mount from here by replacing the included ball with a standard 1" ball from Ram mounts. Once that was in, you can use any combination of Ram mount stuff you want. I'm using the super short extension with the "X-grip" holder. It blocks most of the flow from that vent, but is unobtrusive and out of the way. Will grab a photo after work.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Pardon the dust.. I'm overdue for an interior cleaning.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM
RazorKQ
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would check out ProClip USA. I have used their mounts in many vehicles. Personally I like them the best.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorKQ
I would check out ProClip USA. I have used their mounts in many vehicles. Personally I like them the best.
I’ve got one on my Cayenne and really like it.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RazorKQ
Agree.. I've used ProClip mounts in several vehicles and they are really darn good, but both variations of the mount for the Cayenne are down at knee level, and that's just too far to take my eyes away to look at the map (IMO). That's why i chose the Rennline mount this time.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I have the one that mounts to the side of the console (pro-clip I believe) - not cheap - but much better than ones that damage (and block) the HVAC vents.. somewhere here long ago I posted a photo of it. Maybe sometime I'll see if I can find it.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Cris
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried several and have ended up using these.
Grab Handle Storage

I use the PCM for phone and nav functions so I don't need to look at my phone
Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 AM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the ProClip mount in all my cars. Pricey but worth it. On the Cayenne, it's not too difficult to hide the charging cable through the center console cubby area by simply removing the interior center console pocket and partially accessing the power socket trim (I simply couldn't remove the thing without fear of breaking something). All you'll need is a wire hanger to run the short distance of wire to a point where you can pull it with your fingers. The rest of the cable will run parallel to the center console and with some creativity, will be fairly well hidden. Grab a pair of those grab handle pockets and it entirely disappears. Very convenient in my opinion and no less distracting than looking at the pcm screen for a map. It does block the air vent a little bit but the mount allows for rotation so you'll find your sweet spot eventually. The vent mount available from the other manufacturer blocks blocks airflow almost entirely and you have no option to modify the angle of the phone to a point where the vents work as designed. On mine, I didn't even peel of the small sticker backing to tape it to the center console even though it was a tiny area. It's easily removable with no marks left behind. Long post all to say ProClip will not disappoint.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:45 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

i've been looking for something good and with my Note9 being pretty large. I'm looking for some creativity. I do use the wireless charger and was thinking that i can stick that sharging pad behind the ashtray and be able to dip the phone in there. Even with the large size it still fits half way. the other option is using the ashtray in open position and without taking out the tray. your phone will just lean on the PCM, between the two turn *****. the only thing i haven't figured out is how to keep the phone in place while turning. i thought of using one of those phone holders that use your disk tray opening, but that puts the phone at a reverse angle and makes no sense. but that is the spot where that i'm aiming for to keep the phone.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

The proclip mount.. do you ever hit it with your knee?

This thread has me pondering... I could use a 4" arm on the ProClip mount to get it to a height that I like without completely blocking the vent.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:21 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
The proclip mount.. do you ever hit it with your knee?

This thread has me pondering... I could use a 4" arm on the ProClip mount to get it to a height that I like without completely blocking the vent.
There's no way I can imagine you would hit the mount with your knee. Unless of course you have extremely long legs and currently hit the upper most part of the center console with your knee. I just can't imagine that happening under any circumstance. If this is a concern for you, they also have an alternate mount that gets placed on the passenger side of the center console. It's angled differently so you have an adequate view of it. I'm not very tall so having the mount that far would be hard for me to reach the phone while driving.

Go on their website and put in your make and model. They advertise exactly how the mount will look in your vehicle. And if you do get it and figure out a different mounting option, I'd be very interested in seeing how you did it.

Quick Reply: Is there a cellphone holder you particularly like?