Sponsored By:

TPMS - battery life

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts
Default TPMS - battery life

We have run General Grabber AT2 tires for ~7 years now, not the same set. Will be getting fresh shoes,BFG KO2s, next month.
Our 2013 has the original TPMS sensors that still work. Would y'all swap out for fresh when the new tires get mounted?
Most of our driving is off-road and a very long way from paved surfaces. Understand that this is just an indicating system and that we can drive them to failure. Upon failure we would then have another tire remount to install new ones.
If cost was not a consideration would you install Porsche or after market sensors? --- Thanks!

Note, we now carry two full sized spares - one mounted to the tailgate, the 2nd on the roof as pictured here -

Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about VW, but the big three target a five year life for the TPMS sensors. At 7 years, I would look to replace them. You can find the VDO (oem supplier) sensors on Amazon for $25.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:53 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

As much of a PITA as it is to break the bead later to replace them (especially with the reinforced sidewalls of AT/MT tires), I'd swap 'em out while you have the wheel bare. I purchased ones under the Denso name, but in all reality, they were "Huf" sensors - $50/ea. on Amazon. Apparently I should have searched harder for the VDO ones! (Or maybe the price is just that different for the 958.2 compatible sensors?)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

I think HUF are German All of my early VW's have HUF keys. At least the original keys are HUF.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cayenne TPMS sensors are HUF. Most Asian And domestic use VDO
Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought my replacement sensors from tpms.com for a good price. In my case I had installed new tires about a year earlier so had to break the bead and have them replaced, which only cost me $20 as I had the tires rotated at the same time.. Looks like they currently have a set of Huf for ~$140 for a set of 4.

No affiliation other than a satisfied customer.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:48 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
I bought my replacement sensors from tpms.com for a good price. In my case I had installed new tires about a year earlier so had to break the bead and have them replaced, which only cost me $20 as I had the tires rotated at the same time.. Looks like they currently have a set of Huf for ~$140 for a set of 4.

No affiliation other than a satisfied customer.
I also went through TPMS.com, there is also a discount for being part of this forum/Rennlist. I think I got the same HUF sensors and they had worked well this past winter with my winter wheels/tires. I just took the wheels off this past Thursday afternoon as snow is pretty much done here in MA.

Quick Reply: TPMS - battery life