2012 958 Cayenne Compass to Clock Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:12 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts
Default 2012 958 Cayenne Compass to Clock Swap

Good evening everyone,
My wife and I really have no use for the compass/altimeter in the dash pod. Is it a straight swap for the clock? Not the chrono clock. Just the plain ol Porsche clock. Has anyone else made the swap?
What was the process like?

Doug
Old 03-06-2019, 02:15 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Doug,

I haven't - but my WAG is it will work perfectly. Both use exactly the same wiring, and are set through the same data bus. It might be necessary to enable the clock in the PCM, and that might require an iCarScan or dealer's PIWIS.. but my '11 came with nothing, and from the factory AFAIK only a compass was available on the 2011 CTT. I added the wiring and added the clock. Works fine.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:17 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Doug,

I haven't - but my WAG is it will work perfectly. Both use exactly the same wiring, and are set through the same data bus. It might be necessary to enable the clock in the PCM, and that might require an iCarScan or dealer's PIWIS.. but my '11 came with nothing, and from the factory AFAIK only a compass was available on the 2011 CTT. I added the wiring and added the clock. Works fine.
Don, did you by chance take a picture of the connector?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:33 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

This question is for you guys that have the clock. Does it tick loudly?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
This question is for you guys that have the clock. Does it tick loudly?
Loudly? Matter of opinion. Noticeably? Yes - when the car is off. When it's running - no.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Don, did you by chance take a picture of the connector?
There are photos someplace here of it. It, of course, is not a common connector. I'd suggest doing some searching here.

And yes - a tiny 1-second "tink" noise that I can only hear with everything in the car off and the engine off. It certainly won't interfere with conversation with your wife..
Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Don, I did a fair amount of research last night and as far as I can tell it should be plug and play. Not a lot of info on what I'm trying to do. Just like my steering wheel, there arn't a lot of people down grading there devices.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Doug.. you got me fired up today about that clock... went on ebay, found that clock dash panel, then it was snatched from me before i could buy it for $80. Now i'm in search of another.. go figure.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Doug.. you got me fired up today about that clock... went on ebay, found that clock dash panel, then it was snatched from me before i could buy it for $80. Now i'm in search of another.. go figure.
Bummer. What color are you looking for? I will keep my eyes open.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:48 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Bummer. What color are you looking for? I will keep my eyes open.
Black. $80 was pretty decent deal, although I think that plain plastic is worth $50 at most. I guess the more difficult part is locating a clock. I saw a few on Ebay with broken 2nd hand like mentioned by Don.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:50 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Black. $80 was pretty decent deal, although I think that plain plastic is worth $50 at most. I guess the more difficult part is locating a clock. I saw a few on Ebay with broken 2nd hand like mentioned by Don.
Yes, I saw those clocks too. I think he has a fix if I'm not mistaken. 80 bucks Is that for black leather?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Yes, I saw those clocks too. I think he has a fix if I'm not mistaken. 80 bucks Is that for black leather?
No fix.. the second hand is defective. You can put it back on and it will be off the first time the interior of the car gets hot (the second hand curls toward the glass of the clock, and the minute hand eventually catches on it and pries it off..) The fix is a new second hand, which isn't available. The company who made the clock refuses to communicate with any owners and Porsche "dunno nuffin.."

The dash panel - even on a leather dash - is not leather, it's just plastic. I have a nice black blank one (no clock/compass hole/mount) that I took out. I bought a new one, seem to recall around $130. The whole thing cost me about $500 all in. A lot for a stupid clock - but that's Porsche for'ya.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

No fix.. the second hand is defective. You can put it back on and it will be off the first time the interior of the car gets hot (the second hand curls toward the glass of the clock, and the minute hand eventually catches on it and pries it off..) The fix is a new second hand, which isn't available. The company who made the clock refuses to communicate with any owners and Porsche "dunno nuffin.."

The dash panel - even on a leather dash - is not leather, it's just plastic. I have a nice black blank one (no clock/compass hole/mount) that I took out. I bought a new one, seem to recall around $130. The whole thing cost me about $500 all in. A lot for a stupid clock - but that's Porsche for'ya.
Correct, it's just black plastic. You have a spare clock panel? What you mean blank?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Correct, it's just black plastic. You have a spare clock panel? What you mean blank?
Sigh... no - I have the blank panel that I removed to install the clock panel.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:09 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Sigh... no - I have the blank panel that I removed to install the clock panel.
HILARIOUS!!!!! I thought you were going to say you have one of those. Damn.. I should of just taken it. Damn things sell for $150+ usually. Could have resold in worst case.... oh well.... at least I got heated steering and matching clock spring.

Quick Reply: 2012 958 Cayenne Compass to Clock Swap