Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice -vs- Verde All Season Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 08:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts
Default Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice -vs- Verde All Season Plus?

My Snow and Ice are about done. Local high-end shop offered Scorpion Verde All Season Plus instead, slightly less expensive in N0 version.

Anyone done both? I do have dedicated summer rims/tires (21") so the Snow and Ice do sort of make sense.. but they are REALLY REALLY noisy as they get toward the end, and it didn't take very long to get there (probably 25,000 miles total.)

Where I am in NJ we every few years get a blizzard with 10-20" of snow, but it is pretty quickly plowed. Some winters we only get a few inches, so far this winter - in my area - never more than a dusting that's gone within 24 hours. And I sort of anticipate spending more time in California now that we're becoming grandparents - and that would probably be around when we'd normally see snow in NJ. Last year I drove the Cayenne to CA and back with the snows on - and saw about 15 miles of snow in West Virginia (went south to avoid snow) - felt bad burning them up crossing the Mohave desert and running around LA for 6 weeks, the all-seasons would be adequate or better for that use for sure.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:32 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Don,

Wish i could give you a comparison, but I will share with you that i just finished a 3000 mile road trip on the Pirelli Snow and Ice. Last day was pulling a uhaul from Indiana to Maryland in the snow. Rest of the time was in rain and dry pavement. temps -10 to +70. Quiet and sure footed at all times. Typical couple of attempts at killing me and the wife on the Turnpike by a$$hat drivers. Tires did their job and then some. No regrets. Hope this helps. My 3 season tires are Goodyears on their own rims.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:34 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

To be honest if you aren’t looking for superior performance in the summer. Look at all seasons instead. I’m also in nj and this winter has been meh. And my x5 with dws did well when it did snow a lot.

Im up in northern Vermont now with the Pirelli winters and I slid several times on the icy surfaces. Was surprised at the slippage to be honest.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I can’t speak for their snow performance. But. I have the verde plus non nspec and they are good. Quiet, smooth, good in wet, long lasting, good grip. I drove my pepper harder than you’d think it would like. When they are gone I’ll get same. Note the n spec scorpions were horrible.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I put the Nokian WR G3 SUV all-weather tires on a few weeks back and have been through two light snows. I ran dedicated winters on my previous Touareg and I have to say these tires are damn near as good and with less noise and better rolling resistance. Also have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. Really happy with them in dry and rain too. I've had other all-season tires before on both the Touareg and my Audi's and were never happy with their winter performance. These tires are different. Check them out. https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...ian-wr-g3-suv/
Old 02-16-2019, 10:16 PM
qtro
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had both this winter. If you drive on any compacted snow/ice go with the snow tire. I was not a fan of the all-seasons at all. Much happier on the snow tire. I drove on the all seasons for two winters. Getting near the end of the life span they became very twitchy to the point it was unsettling.

The pirelli winters do slip a tad more than the Dunlop M3 I had on a previous car but infinetly better than the all seasons.

I would go with a Conti DWS all season before the pirellis. Much better if you hit any snow.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:49 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

I am in a similar mode as the op. I had summer and winter tires for the daily grind to work. Now that I am retired I don't have the need for daily winter driving for work but still get out when the roads are better. We also drive to Florida and Arizona for the winter. Road conditions can be snow, ice, rain and dry on these trips. I didn't want winter tires since much of the winter is in warmer climates. My tire guy recommended the Conti DWS06 tires. We already had a set on the BMW xdrive so it was a easy decision. We have about 10k miles and been very pleased. A better bad weather tire than the scorpion verde N0, not the newer plus, which I had on a Touareg. The DWS don't handle on dry as well as summer tires but than I don't drive the Cayenne that hard. Save it for the Boxster. The Verde I had were a good tire but I just think the DWS are better for changing road conditions.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 AM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My all seasons were wearing thin this year and I came across a set of nearly new Nokian Hakkapeliitta's this year at a price I couldn't resist and have been very impressed with their snow and ice performance. Very sure footed in all conditions and was grateful for a dedicated snow tire on more than one occasion here in Chicago. My CTT ends up a carpool taxi for my kids' sports teams sometimes so I appreciate the extra piece of mind when the white stuff flies and I'm with my either of my kids and 2-3 of their friends.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

FWIW, I had the DWS06 on my Audi and while they were a very good all-season tire, their snow and ice performance were still lacking for my taste. If I had to compare the two, I'd say they are both compromises to dedicated rubber, with the DWS06 being better in the dry and the Nokian WR G3 SUV being way better in the snow and ice. I guess it depends on which is more important to your particular driving situation. My situation is like rdboxter...retired now and no desire to keep changing tires and less room to store them.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:10 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

For all my time with 4WD/AWD vehicles, I had been getting by, no problem, with All Season tires of all makes. I was never driving around up north on dirt roads that even when plowed, are snow/snirt/ice and then mud covered all winter long.

Down here in suburbia, the plows ALWAYS come by and clear the roads and then when all the other vehicles drive on them, coupled with the sun, above freezing temps, pure snow tires, while nice for the few hours or so when a plow might not come by, are just not needed-witness the sheeple with nothing but FWD autos, slipping and sliding, crashing and putting themselves into guardrails/curbs/ditches, but for the most part, they are getting by.

Sure, having snow tires is nice for the very few times when one wants to feel superior when it is snowing out, but the other 90% of the time in the winter, it is just not needed.

Now, I did get myself a new set of the first winter tires ever as I'm driving up and back to where the snow is and when I get here, the dirt roads are packed with mud, snow, dirt and between the flurries/squalls, having the snow tires is nice and I feel better but if I were in NJ, or never left MA to go up north, I'd not bother.

Between my old Touareg and my wife's Treg, and my Cayenne, we had the Goodyear LS2' that came with the trucks, which were actually ok in the snow when they were new but they are some of the most expensive tires made.
'
I had the old DSW's and they were good but only got 20,000 - 25,000 miles, tops.

We have Pirelli Verde A/S Plus' and with just over 20,000 miles on the wife's 2015 Touareg TDI, they need to be replaced. I had also used them on my Touareg and then put them on my Cayenne and they are holding up pretty well but I still expect just over 20,000 miles and am NOT going to see anywhere near 30,000. I'm resigned to the fact that there is not a tire that exists for these vehicles that will go better than 25,000 miles as I know that I drive harder, and cruise faster than most on the highway.

My truck had come with the Michelin Latitudes and they were also a great tire but lasted about 25,000 miles before they were worn out as I won't drive on the tires till they get to the wearbars, I replace them a little sooner as I don't want to have to slow down all that much in the rain and worn tires are not as good in the rain.

We might take a chance with my wife's 2015 Touareg and get some of the cheapest tires possible from either BJ's or Discount Tire and see how they do as a full set of four, installed can be had for just under $400 where some Michelin Defender LTX's are just under $1,000 installed.

My last thought is that I am one that would rather pay double and get double the life and a superior product than pay 1/2 and have to replace at 10,000 or 15,000 miles. Performance, at least for my wife, is not a concern as she doesn't push her truck like I do mine.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:24 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Don, if you go with all season, ditch them as soon as they get dicey (I'm guessing you already think that way).

I had a 2018 BMW X5 last week. I got rear ended so the dealer had to replace the rear bumper and they gave me an X5 from a rental company. The X5 had a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires with about 4000 km on them. It wasn't very cold (~15-20F) and not very snowy. They did just fine, not dangerous or anything but they still felt like a step down from a dedicated winter tire. I can see why this can be an acceptable tradeoff for folks in warmer climates.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:07 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It's just that for most anywhere in the US, most-anywhere, there is a window for when it is snowing, where if one is on the road and has to be on the road, one would need a winter tire to get around.

Thing is, as soon as the snow stops, the plows get most roads down to pavement and after a day or two at the most, the roads are just dry.

It really depends on where one lives is all.

If I lived in NJ, I would not waste my money on snow tires. If I never left MA, I would never have snowtires.

As it is, we'll be driving home in a 2-4" snow-event and I'll also be towing the snowbike/snowmobilel trailer home. I'm glad I have full winter tires but at the same time, if I had a new-ish set of A/S tires I'd be fine. 95% is the driver, right?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the 20" Verde Plus's on my truck. They are fine in the winter but I go slower then. I did not like them on ice but it could be the difference between driving the Jeep Commander with Michelin Defender ATX M/S and Quadra-Drive II vs. the Cayenne. I will say on the Cayenne the Verde's are the best tire in heavy rain I've ever driven on. Again, it could be the vehicle dynamics here as well.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:42 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
If I lived in NJ, I would not waste my money on snow tires. If I never left MA, I would never have snowtires.
My reasoning would be where you live in relation to the Atlantic Ocean. If you live in inland NJ, then snow tires may be of use as ice can be an issue. If you live close to the coast, then all seasons and a change of driving habit may be sufficient.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
My reasoning would be where you live in relation to the Atlantic Ocean. If you live in inland NJ, then snow tires may be of use as ice can be an issue. If you live close to the coast, then all seasons and a change of driving habit may be sufficient.
I guess 9 blocks from the ocean is sorta close to the coast..

I'm afraid if I got all-seasons I'd get lazy and never bother putting the 21" summer wheels/tires on..

Quick Reply: Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice -vs- Verde All Season Plus?