Sponsored By:

To dipstick or not to dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:33 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To dipstick or not to dipstick

My new to me 2015 CD was dripping oil on the driveway. I took it in for service and they discovered that this CPO'd vehicle was missing the dipstick tube plug and had sprayed oil all over the inside of the engine compartment. They cleaned the engine and exhaust and underbody and installed a plug. When talking to the service rep about this I brought up getting dipstick. He said that the dipstick was not supposed to be left in the tube, but removed and the plug put in. That seems strange to me. Any truth to this?

Will the oil level gauge tell me if I have gotten all the oil out if I pump it through the tube? If not, will a dipstick, or do I have to measure what I get out?

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Hogwash. Dipsticks are meant to be left where they were designed to be, the dipstick tube. No issues with mine staying in the tube 24/7.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:36 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with docwyte
I drain the oil with the dipstick via suction and leave the dipstick in place year round.

no issues
Old 02-06-2019, 07:37 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

My 2013 CD came with a dipstick plug, no dipstick. I bought the 2013 CD new. I felt that was cheap and bought an Audi diesel diptick that fit perfect. The problem was the dipstick does not accurately read the oil level. This was probably why Porsche engineers removed it and put in a plug. Porsche designed more baffling, so the oil cannot be measured with the dipstick. My guess is your 2015 never had a dipstick.

If the question is if it will stay in place, yes it will. But you must make sure its pushed in all the way as I remember it was a bit loose.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:17 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

then you bought the wrong dipstick. I bought one from VW, for the touareg. It reads accurately and the oil can absolutely be measured properly with a dipstick.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
then you bought the wrong dipstick. I bought one from VW, for the touareg. It reads accurately and the oil can absolutely be measured properly with a dipstick.
Interesting. Maybe I did. So you are saying it matches the oil level accurately via the electronic measurement? The one I bought read low, almost nothing. Also, I tried the oil suction and I could not pull out all of the oil, so I gave up and put the plug back in. Not sure if the 2013 was any different than your 2015. Glad it worked for you.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:55 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sticker in the back hatch states the engine type. My 2015 is "CNRB" when ordering a dipstick, make sure it's for the correct engine type. The second dipstick I ordered (I think it was from Jim Ellis Audi) is correct and matches the reading from the sensor. The first dipstick I ordered was from VW and the incorrect part - it was too long.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE

Interesting. Maybe I did. So you are saying it matches the oil level accurately via the electronic measurement? The one I bought read low, almost nothing. Also, I tried the oil suction and I could not pull out all of the oil, so I gave up and put the plug back in. Not sure if the 2013 was any different than your 2015. Glad it worked for you.
Yep, it matches the electronic "gauge". I also can't suck oil up via my extractor. It's old tho, so I'm not sure if it's the car or the tool. I shrugged it off, I have a lift in my garage so doing it the old fashioned way isn't really any more work.

Quick Reply: To dipstick or not to dipstick