Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel cold weather not starting

Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 AM
bahocale
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Diesel cold weather not starting

Just tried starting my ‘15 CD with 22K miles this morning and it wouldn’t start. It turned over then proceeded to die within a few seconds 3x times.

It is cold in the northeast at 8 F, but this is kind of crazy that it won’t start.

Has anyone experienced this or offer any suggestions?

Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Let me guess. You did not treat your fuel in the tank. Untreated diesel fuel gel when colder than 22 degrees F and not all fuel stations have switched to winter blend yet. Wait until Friday and temp gets up to 47 degrees so fuel will ungel then treat it with some powerservice 911.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Let me guess. You did not treat your fuel in the tank. Untreated diesel fuel gel when colder than 22 degrees F and not all fuel stations have switched to winter blend yet. Wait until Friday and temp gets up to 47 degrees so fuel will ungel then treat it with some powerservice 911.
It's January. ALL stations in the NE are using winter blend fuel, so unless he gets it from a station that has low turnover and hasn't refilled since October/November-ish, he has winter fuel.

But they may not have put in the full dose or there may be just a tiny bit of water in the lines that froze up, rather than the fuel gelling. If it's in a garage, put a heater in there. If it's outside, is it in the sun? I've had fuel gel on me just once and after an hour in the sun, even with the low temps sticking around, it started flowing again enough to get the engine started and running. You guys are in for some colder weather, though, so you may be stuck for a while.

You could go try some treatment that's supposed to un-gel the fuel. I have some, but have never had to use it, and it's a process. If you're getting to 40s by Friday, you should be fine by then.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
It's January. ALL stations in the NE are using winter blend fuel, so unless he gets it from a station that has low turnover and hasn't refilled since October/November-ish, he has winter fuel.

But they may not have put in the full dose or there may be just a tiny bit of water in the lines that froze up, rather than the fuel gelling. If it's in a garage, put a heater in there. If it's outside, is it in the sun? I've had fuel gel on me just once and after an hour in the sun, even with the low temps sticking around, it started flowing again enough to get the engine started and running. You guys are in for some colder weather, though, so you may be stuck for a while.

You could go try some treatment that's supposed to un-gel the fuel. I have some, but have never had to use it, and it's a process. If you're getting to 40s by Friday, you should be fine by then.
It’s also a 15 with lower miles, if it’s a second or third car it is possible it may have last been filled up prior to winter fuel being available.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Winter diesel fuel is just blending in kerosene. My CD gelled up last winter during Jan from a Dec fill up. December in NE is actually warm. Lows in 30s most nights. I forgot to add winter power service additive in because I am still driving around the GL diesel most of the time.

It was not until late Jan did we get evenings in the low 20s to teens. Last week was the start of teen and single digit winter weather.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:15 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

It doesn't make any sense that dealers in NE don't treat their fuel before temps hit the 20s. In every other region I've lived in that gets cold, they change the fuel over in October, November at the latest.

I've driven diesels now for about 21 years and have never added winter magic elixir to my fuel. I've had exactly one gelling incident (or possibly water) in temps down into the single digits. A couple of years ago, I drove the (14) CD across WY with temps below zero. I carried some emergency de-gel stuff, but didn't need it. Overnighted in places with temps pretty low (teens, I think) with no issues starting in the mornings.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 AM
bahocale
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It finally got warm again yesterday, so I started and filled up the tank yesterday with no issue.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:21 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
It doesn't make any sense that dealers in NE don't treat their fuel before temps hit the 20s. In every other region I've lived in that gets cold, they change the fuel over in October, November at the latest.
Agreed. Have always added winter additive for peace of mind so the fuel pump doesn't get burned out. It gels on me the one time I forget on the parked CD and found out the hard way when moving it to shovel snow.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:03 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Any reports from the vortex region?

I don't care how much they treat the fuel for normal winter conditions, I'm guessing at -20 and below, it needs supplemental treatment to say liquid!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:13 PM
schwarz633
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2014 CD with 27K miles here in SE Wisconsin, currently -8 °F. The car is kept in an attached garaged and it just started right up for my wife after sitting for a few days. I did add 8 ounces of Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement Winterizer/Antigel (white label) the last time I filled it up.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Not in Wisconsin, but it was 6 degrees in Philly this morning. Started right up with diesel I got at Wawa almost 3 weeks ago. Car was outside (not in garage).
Old 02-02-2019, 09:31 AM
refinedswag
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen the label of this product yet but do you use the white label bottle every fill up? Also do you use the company's other products regularly

"to clean injectors, boost power, lubricate pumps and injectors and restore lost power and fuel economy." ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel cold weather not starting