Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CTT In the Snow

Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default CTT In the Snow

Got my 2011 CTT back in November and this only the second time we've had inclement weather in upstate NY... the first time was super icy, so I didn't look much into it, but am I the only one who thinks the CTT doesnt feel real solid in super snowy weather?
to add, I have 19" winter wheels on the car with Blizzaks, so I expected it'd be a beast... and it definitely stops and goes very well - very pleased there... but it just seems like it is super twitchy and slides around a lot on the road when just maintaining speed... ruts/tracks easily take it and it just doesn't feel real planted in general... im not sure if it's a result of the things that make the car a SUPER great car in dry, with great steering feedback, responsive suspension, etc. or what.......

Now before we assume im some schmuck, I travel 3 weekends a month right along lakes Erie and Ontario between Rochester NY and Erie PA... So, I'm quite used to dealing with terrible weather, since lake snow pounds my entire trip during winter months...

the CTT replaced our Lexus RX450h, which replaced our GS350... my DD beater is a 2004 Prius, and I'm amazed at how good it does... the Lexus' were amazingly well planted as well...

guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way and what might be the reason why...? I feel confident there's nothing wrong with the car....
Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 PM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Cayenne is more playful in lower gears than any Audi I've driven but not dangerously so. You'll get used to it. It's a driver's car, a rear biased platform. Audis are so composed you don't get a sense just how slippery it is until you brake. That playfulness should go away as you pick up speed. It should be pretty steady in higher gears.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

yea I am fine with the little bit of fish tail in lower gears... i actually like to have some fun... for several years after college I drove a Pontiac TransAm as my only car, so i got very used to that - and when i researched this evening to find that the AWD is more bias toward the rear, i knew that's what was causing the rear to come out when accelerating.....

but its actually when trying to maintain speed that I feel like the car just doesn't feel real planted, and feels like i'm driving on ice... I dunno.... I only took it out today b/c my wife said she felt like it was all over the place on her way home from work (she drives the CTT daily, while i drive the prius - - b/c you know, i'm a nice guy like that)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:30 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Old/worn tires beyond their useful life? My CTT with good blizzaks on 20" wheels is amazing in even super deep snow.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by garrett376
Old/worn tires beyond their useful life? My CTT with good blizzaks on 20" wheels is amazing in even super deep snow.
nope... blizzaks with probably 80% tread
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,717 Likes on 1,626 Posts

My cayenne with 21" Michelin summers did well in the snow. I have chains but didn't feel the need to install them on my last snow trip as the grip from the michelins was doing the job. Granted, I'm not blasting at a high rate of speed, but I think the cayenne felt planted and confidence inspiring.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I really like my 21" Continental DWS tires in all weather conditions. And we've had them all here lately in northern VA.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:02 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Took the car out again this morning... we got 19" overnight, and its still coming down... definitely felt much better on fully snow covered roads.... then went to my golf club, where i expected they wouldn't have done anything with the parking lot, and it did amazing in deep snow there.... So, today it seemed good.... still gets shifted around pretty bad in slushy and rutted areas, but all cars do, so no biggie... i just think you can feel it more in this car.... I bought new tires for my 21" turbo II wheels last month, just haven't had them mounted yet... Would be nice to compare them, but that's too much work - i'll just stay inside and keep warm.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:56 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From my experience the wider the tire the more tendency for a car to "walk" like that in ruts. Have only driven twice in snow myself yet, last weekend took an hour and half ride in a 5 -7 inch snow. Car did fine on country roads but I was NOT playing around out there just keeping her steady so as to avoid the ditch. On the highway it did quite well. It's my first all wheel experience. Have to say for getting around safely and predictably in snow nothing beats front wheel drive. For pure fun in snow it's gotta be RWD for me.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You’re not the only one, my CTT with 19” winter sport 3D feels the same way. I compare it to my previous vehicle X5M with 21” Michelin winter set and the bimmer feels planted to the road. What I feel is the CTT sends more power to the rear than the bimmer hence it fish tails. Also the OEM winter sport 3D tend to be harder than Blizzaks so I will switch to Blizzaks after this set is done.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:19 PM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

We had about 10'' come down overnight and it's -20C outside (-4F) and I just had a blast driving the Cayenne earlier. Maybe I should have noted earlier, if the traction control is on, it should kick in eventually, even in lower gears. You shouldn't be doing 360s even if you have a right foot made of lead.

I have had only 2 experiences with summer tires on snow, both bad. I couldn't get my 911 up my very gently sloped driveway after 1'' snow because it was on a high performance summer tire. Absolutely zero traction. Similar experience with my Audi, early snow caught me off-guard at work one time, couldn't make it out of the parking lot, had to leave the car behind.

Conti DWS works well on a little bit of snow and when it's not too cold but I wouldn't bother trying to drive it on a day like today. But DWS is not a summer tire either.

I had the 3D previously on an Audi and I didn't like it. Blizzaks, X-Ice, Nokians or GT Altimax Arctic are all way better winter tires.

edde is right about narrower tires working better in winter. I'm running 255s for the winter.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
edde is right about narrower tires working better in winter. I'm running 255s for the winter.
What size exactly? I'm giving thought to 255/55/19's to replace the 265/50/19 Scorpion Snow/Ice that are very noisy as they wear..
Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 PM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deilenberger
What size exactly? I'm giving thought to 255/55/19's to replace the 265/50/19 Scorpion Snow/Ice that are very noisy as they wear..
Mine is the 3.6 so 18'' wheels fit, just barely. I'm running 255/55R18 on stock rims. I'm not sure whether 18'' rims would fit on the CTT. Your smallest stock size would be 265/50R19. Going 255/50R19 would give you 1.3% less circumference so I'm not sure about that. Maybe if you can calibrate the speedo?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbv1
Mine is the 3.6 so 18'' wheels fit, just barely. I'm running 255/55R18 on stock rims. I'm not sure whether 18'' rims would fit on the CTT. Your smallest stock size would be 265/50R19. Going 255/50R19 would give you 1.3% less circumference so I'm not sure about that. Maybe if you can calibrate the speedo?
I'm going to guess there's no way you can fit an 18" wheel on a CTT.. when i took off my 21's and put the winter 19's on, i couldn't believe they fit... they JUST squeeze over the front calipers...
Old 01-21-2019, 01:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

18: rims will not fit the CTT.. or the GTS with the same calipers. As SonoaBish points out - the 19"'s just clear the caliper (a regular balance weight might not clear if mounted in the wrong spot..)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CTT In the Snow