Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Purchase dilemma

Old 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Purchase dilemma

I’ve been watching all the used car websites and thought I finally found the 958 I’ve been looking for.
Heres the 411. I found a base 2012 on CarMax in Boston and paid the $299 to have it delivered to the closest to me CarMax in Rochester NY. This appears to be a 2 owner with just over 31k miles. Once they received the car here they did another inspection and found a couple issues they wanted to take care of before showing it to me. They put 4 brand Pirelli P Zeros on and while doing this they also found a couple defective TPMS sensors so replaced all 4. This was all good in my mind.
Now the not so good. I drove 1.5 hours today to finally see and drive the car. First off these vehicles are everything and more that I was hoping for. Thanks to this forum and all the info I’ve gotten I was able to go in informed and aware of everything I need to look for. Not 100 yards into the test drive, the car had a very noticeable shudder in 1st and 2nd. The first thing I thought was “Oh No, not the TC.” Secondly was a notification that the oil level was too high. Ok, so this al kind of ruined my dream today of getting it.
Upon getting back to the stealership, I expressed my concern and no deal would be made today or until a thorough and accurate determination and fix was done. So upon driving home I was called and told that the service manager confirmed that there was indeed a shudder and they think that a faulty coil pack is the culprit and will fix that in the next couple days and then hope the shudder goes away!and if not then look further into the TC. He said the TC looks fine, and my response was, “you can tell by looking at it that seems fine?” OYE!!! Finally I was told they would do another oil change as they probably didn’t drain it enough last time.
So opinions please? I was ready to buy an extended warranty and would regardless if this gets fixed. My hope is that it s the TC and they have to replace. Then if I were to buy it! I’ve got my biggest fear with these addressed and new rubber all around. I’m just not sure even then if I should go with it or keep looking. BTW, I’ve set a $30k +/- budget, so the CPO option is off the table.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The easy answer is to walk away and continue your search. The other obvious answer is to let them do the work and take another test drive based on the outcome of their working on the vehicle. If you can get an extended warranty that isn't cost prohibitive, you like the vehicle, and there's nothing obviously wrong with it then I'd say go for it.

You could also get an iCarScan and read any codes that it may still have if that would help alleviate any concerns.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:22 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Their aren't any 12-13 base models for 30-33k CPO? I got my GTS for just over 43k for CPO so I would definitely think a Base could be had for 10k under if not more.

I would walk away and get the delivery fee back, I think they should honor that since it came with issues.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:32 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Their aren't any 12-13 base models for 30-33k CPO? I got my GTS for just over 43k for CPO so I would definitely think a Base could be had for 10k under if not more.

I would walk away and get the delivery fee back, I think they should honor that since it came with issues.
No CPO’s around here that I’ve seen in 6 months for anywhere near $30k. I’d consider moving above base, but just trying I get the lowest mileage one I can find and that usually means going base. This will be my DD for several years, and I easily put 15-20k a year on it, so lower mileage is important to me. I doubt they will return the transport fee as long as they are trying to get the car right. If I’m the one walking away, then little hope they are gonna refund.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:52 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I would walk away. Sounds like there are more issues around the corner.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:59 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts

I would walk away. Vehicles are just like horses....just as easy to buy a sound one as it is to buy a lame one. I even like to see records if possible. Then you can see what warranty claims the vehicle had.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Boomer80

No CPO’s around here that I’ve seen in 6 months for anywhere near $30k. I’d consider moving above base, but just trying I get the lowest mileage one I can find and that usually means going base. This will be my DD for several years, and I easily put 15-20k a year on it, so lower mileage is important to me. I doubt they will return the transport fee as long as they are trying to get the car right. If I’m the one walking away, then little hope they are gonna refund.
They will have to fix the car to sell it anyways, but you need to state your case as to why you are walking away. They are obligated to refund the fee. Carmax is pretty corporate about their dealings, not some drive by side dealer that buys cars from auctions and then makes you pay like 3k in dealer fees.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

I just got into a 2011 CS about 2 weeks ago. Was $23k with 73k miles. Surely you can get a base with half the miles for at least same price.

Look at this 2013 Porsche Cayenne Cayenne for $29,900: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...aff=share_text

Also, I spoke to Brett @ Flemington they just got a base cayenne on a trade for new year cayenne. Look.
https://www.flemingtonporsche.com/us...AA2A23CLA03392
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Unless there's something REALLY unique or special about this particular base 958, I agree with others here that have recommended walking away and continuing your search. If you're patient I really think you can eventually find a CPO at least close to your desired price. That's really the way to go IMO!

Best of luck in your quest.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 PM
ETL330
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto

what was the asking price on your gts if you don’t mind me asking? Currently shopping gts and turbo cpo
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't walk.

RUN!
Old 01-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

More information came in almost a week later. So CarMax has got the engine running great with new Coils, but the shudder is still there. They will continue to investigate and try and figure out what is obvious to me, that it is the TC. I understand why many of you are saying to walk away from this car, and I still may very well do that and they said they will work on getting my $299 transfer fee back to me. But, I still don't entirely see why I should walk away at the end of this if they get the car back to perfect. At that point I would have a new TC, complete engine service done, 4 brand new tires and TPMS. To me, I feel like the weak points of the car have been identified and fixed and I'm getting a great low mileage (less than 32K miles) car which should now be hopefully trouble free for quite a while. I would still get a CarMax extended warranty to even give me greater peace of mind. My only question of people here is this. I asked them if it is the TC, "who would do it?" They didn't know, and I suspect they wouldn't, but what is the consensus? Is P or a reputable independent shop the only way to get it done? I can't imagine CarMax trying to do it, nor would I trust them. I've looked into all the CPO 958's out there and there aren't many in my price range and most have lots more miles. With the number of miles I drive, I can't see getting a high mileage car and then watching it go over 100k in a couple of years and watching the value plummet. There is a pretty good service record for the car, so I'm comfortable it's never been abused.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Car is going to plummet anyways the longer you own it unless you plan to dump it in 2-3 years. I plan to own mine for quite a while and probably will put close to 200k miles on it. After that I'll go for the 9Y0 Turbo or GTS.
Maybe at this point, if you want to commit to this car, have a Porsche tech or certified tech come in and look at the car, have them give Carmax the details on the TC and maybe then Carmax will be like "oh **** it was the tc... lets replace that". Otherwise walk away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchase dilemma