Series II
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Icarsoft POR V2.0 thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:57 PM
RAudi Driver
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wonder what the difference is between the iCarscan an the iCarsoft. same stuff except that one uses your phone as the computer?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM
hotrod2448
User

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver View Post
I wonder what the difference is between the iCarscan an the iCarsoft. same stuff except that one uses your phone as the computer?
I think the basic capabilities are pretty similar. I went with POR V2.0 over icarscan mostly for the removable memory card for data logging. Since my phone is an apple device, I wanted to avoid any potential complications in the format of data files. I'm sure it can be done but, why make it harder than it needs to be. I'd like to use this tool to log the differences in vehicle response from cool to hot weather to better understand this lag that seems to be very common with the "fixed" diesels.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM
deilenberger
Rennlist Member

One big difference is - iCarScan isn't limited to extended diagnostics with just Porsche. It comes with the choice of selecting 5 manufacturers - and those are the complete diagnostics for each one. You also can purchase additional manufacturer diagnostics for a fee per manufacturer (between $40-60/each). To me this made it economically much more viable - besides Porsche I selected BMW for some friend's cars, Toyota for wife's Lexus, Audi and Benz since I could see myself owning one someday..) This isn't an option with the iCarsoft - they specifically state that the POR model is only for use with Porsche. It will do basic OBD-II diagnostics with the generic code readouts for other vehicles - but manufacturer-specific diagnostics are limited to Porsche.

Last edited by deilenberger; 01-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see, thanks for all that info. I guess if i ever sell all my Porches, I'll let the unit go. Upside is it cost me $29 after I used amazon points. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:21 AM
hotrod2448
User

Well, it didnít go as hoped today. Still unable to register the battery. Oddly enough the vehicle did not appear to need the windows, sun roof and steering sensors rehomed.

At first I disconnected the battery ground for about 30 seconds. When I re-connected it I was unable to register the battery and I noticed it was still reading values on the TPMS and still had the proper time.

Thinking maybe a cap or something was able to keep the memory alive for that short period. I decided to unhook power and ground, laid a meter on it and still had about 0.9vdc, probably not enough to be a problem but, to be safe I tied the power cable to the ground cable (without the battery connected of course) and voltage dropped to 0.03vdc.

I then left it for 15 minutes and repeated the process. Still not able to register, still reading tpms sensors still has the correct time. I went through all the homing processes just to be safe and generated the file for icarsoft. Hopefully theyíll have some direction soon.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 PM
RAudi Driver
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why is the benefit of registering the battery? Warranty?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:49 PM
deilenberger
Rennlist Member

Why is the benefit of registering the battery? Warranty?
On cars like BMW's (and I'd assume modern Porsches) - the charging parameters for a battery change with the age of the battery in the modern systems. As a battery ages - it may need a higher charge current/voltage to achieve 100% charge, and supposedly the gateway changes the charge to match the needs of the battery.

On modern BMW's the internet story is the batteries are damaged when installed without resetting the adaptation/registration - by overcharging. Dunno if the same is true of the Cayenne - but I know the charge rate/voltage does change with engine mode (regular vs sport).. so it's entirely possible that it does the same as BMW does.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:58 PM
jtsmith18
User

Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
On cars like BMW's (and I'd assume modern Porsches) - the charging parameters for a battery change with the age of the battery in the modern systems. As a battery ages - it may need a higher charge current/voltage to achieve 100% charge, and supposedly the gateway changes the charge to match the needs of the battery.

On modern BMW's the internet story is the batteries are damaged when installed without resetting the adaptation/registration - by overcharging. Dunno if the same is true of the Cayenne - but I know the charge rate/voltage does change with engine mode (regular vs sport).. so it's entirely possible that it does the same as BMW does.
I know of and have heard of numerous instances where new batteries of various qualities have been installed in modern BMW by individuals and shops that don't know or bother to code in. The results sometimes vary from overcharging the battery and ruining it in a year or two to actually ruining the alternator. I must admit I have never heard of these kinds of consequences occurring with Cayennes so I assume they either don't adapt to new batteries at all or they adjust differently. Would be nice to know for sure.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:31 PM
deilenberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtsmith18 View Post
I know of and have heard of numerous instances where new batteries of various qualities have been installed in modern BMW by individuals and shops that don't know or bother to code in. The results sometimes vary from overcharging the battery and ruining it in a year or two to actually ruining the alternator. I must admit I have never heard of these kinds of consequences occurring with Cayennes so I assume they either don't adapt to new batteries at all or they adjust differently. Would be nice to know for sure.
It would be - but Porsche isn't going to tell us.. best we can do is keep an eye on charging voltages in the multi-instrument-display on the dash.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:36 PM
deilenberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtsmith18 View Post
It would be - but Porsche isn't going to tell us.. best we can do is keep an eye on charging voltages in the multi-instrument-display on the dash.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Tom M
User

I just changed out the original battery on my 2011 S today and installed an Autocraft Platinum AGM. The original battery was dropping fast and would normally charge at 14.7V on the way to work and home. After I had charged it up the night before with the CTEK it charged at 13.6V on the way to work but dropped to 11.6V when I went to start it on the way home. I figure if it charges at 13.6V and holds a good charge then the system probably adapts somewhat on the fly.

I used the CTEK to keep power to the system while swapping so hopefully none of the settings got lost. I'd take it for a drive to check but we're in the middle of some nasty weather at the moment. One thing I noticed was that when I hooked up the new battery the hazard lights were flashing so some part of the electronics obviously saw something change.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:49 AM
RAudi Driver
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrived and looks like a nice piece of equipment.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 PM
awaschka
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just got mine today. Updated the software and took it out to the car. I was particularly interested in the ability to reset the intermediate and main services. They are under the Oil Service tab. There are items for oil service, intermediate service, main service, and various combinations.

I did a diagnostic check. I don't have any codes, so I'm not sure how it would work if I did, but I had to look at each module and check codes. The OBD2 menu will show you an OBD2 code summary but I didn't see that in the Porsche Diagnostic area.

I'm pleased with it. For the cost of the iCarsoft, oil, extraction pump, filter, and a turkey baster to pull water from the diesel filter I am about $50 over independent charge for an oil change and well under the dealer. I couldn't find any C30 oil at a decent price locally so I got a 12 qt case of Kendal GT-1 Euro+ online for 87.99 shipped. That's $7.33/qt. It meets both the Porsche and VW specs.

Oil change in a week or so.

Last edited by awaschka; 03-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 PM
marinerbc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I think the basic capabilities are pretty similar. I went with POR V2.0 over icarscan mostly for the removable memory card for data logging. Since my phone is an apple device, I wanted to avoid any potential complications in the format of data files. I'm sure it can be done but, why make it harder than it needs to be. I'd like to use this tool to log the differences in vehicle response from cool to hot weather to better understand this lag that seems to be very common with the "fixed" diesels.
Same here , itís a great tool for me as I never used android phone .

the only minor issue with iCarsoft when it comes to data logging , I can log all 45 parameters under the OBDII/Live data/ all supported no problems .
however under the Porsche section data logging only for individual module each at a time . As an example
if I choose some parameters under letís say the DME module I can not go back and choose some other parameters from another module/s at the same time .
Old 03-16-2019, 08:13 AM
hotrod2448
User

Since this popped back up a few things:
1. I did my first oil change since buying the tool and it cleared the oil service light without issue.
2. I’ve been in contact with icarsoft on the battery registration issue. They sent me a test file to update my unit and no difference. At this point based on some reading I’m not sure the vehicle is in a state to receive the command. I’ve kind of lost interest in registering it at this point but, kudos to icarsoft for making an effort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: