Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is a 2013 CD with 73k miles worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM
MadMaxzh55
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 2013 CD with 73k miles worth it?

Hey guys, I have been browsing this forum for some time but just created an account. A local dealer has a 2013 Cayenne Diesel for sale with 73k miles in a good price range. Is it worth it with that many miles or should I save up for one with fewer miles? Test driving it on Monday and is there things I should look for? I plan on purchasing a service coverage plan for any major mechanical issues and just do the small stuff (oil changes, brake pads, etc.) at my father's garage shop.

Thanks in advance! I've never owned a Porsche but I love the 958 Cayennes.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Our 2013 CD was on the first boatload that came to North America. 87k miles so far principally off-road rally and overlanding.
No real issues so far. Would check the 'Diesel Gate' thread pined here.
Other than that would want to know if has been 'fixed' aka neutered. We chose to not have ours 'fixed' as we need the low end torque and range.
Next see how much of VW-Porsche monetary & warranty compensation you may be entitled to. ie how much extended warranty is left. Then there is an upfront payment from Porsche and Bosch -then- there is an additional payment from them after getting the 'fix'. If these have not already been claimed you could be entitled to them.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

We have a 2016 diesel and love it. No issues as of yet. I believe the 2013 didn’t have DEF fluid which could be a plus(one less thing to refill or worry about).
There are plenty of those engines (3.0l v6 diesel) in Audi’s and VWs with 200k miles on them. Seem to be a good engine overall. The diesel fix hasn’t effected our car but others complain it does to some degree. There is a lower oil change requirement (5000 miles). Probably because the fix increases the EGR(exhaust gas recirculate). So if you don’t do your own oil changes that extra cost will come into play.
If the vehicle is in good condition and has good records for oil changes etc I wouldn’t worry about the miles.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:26 PM
mlange1970
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 2013 CD in August as a CPO with ~60k for $31k if that helps from a price perspective. Pretty basic options.

Not worried about the mileage on a diesel so I was more focused on other things - condition of the int/ext, maintenance records via carfax, etc...

If it's clean and comes with a good warranty and a fair price the mileage wouldn't bother me.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I've a 2013 with 65k miles (and will drive it until the warranty is up in 2021, into the ground!). It's been very reliable. The biggest issues:
--adblue heater failure. super common, supposedly the later part fixes the issue
--And a leak on the timing shaft (top, back of engine as you look at the engine bay). this shows itself as oil on the bell housing between the engine and transmission under the car. Several of the 2013 had an assembly error that would cause this very minor seeping. Fixed under warranty, but a huge job - pull engine, disassemble top end, reassemble, etc. Car has been great since. If it wasn't under warranty I wouldn't have bothered with it.

I think you'll find MOSt issues folks have had are with the above two issues, also the DEF injector, and the sports chronology clock second hands like to fall off
Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

For reference, I just bought a 2013 CD last Monday from a local Porsche dealer. 72,000 Miles. Fairly well optioned with 14 way seats, tow hitch, premium package, bose, etc. (original MSRP of $79K).

Has CPO until end of May, and the fairly impressive diesel warranty. Paid $26k. I feel like it is a ton of car for the money, and the fact that it is under warranty for anything that causes a check engine light until 125K is pretty great.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flew out to pick up a 80k diesel panoramic and it had a leak. He just left me in the middle of a small town and had to find a way back. He got it resealed at the dealership and I flew out again. Best vehicle ever for 24k. Check for oil leaks. If you ever run into a resealed Cayenne, grab it!!
Changed transmission fluid (dark) and filter. Do it right away (not flush) and then the next year just empty the pan and fill up for the rest of the fluid. Every two years after.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by assyrianme
Changed transmission fluid (dark) and filter. Do it right away (not flush) and then the next year just empty the pan and fill up for the rest of the fluid. Every two years after.
What did you use to fill the trans / make sure it was at the right level?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I followed these instructions and used a thermometer laser to get the right temperature. I also created this pump.

Instructions
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...atf-fluid.html

Pump

Quick Reply: Is a 2013 CD with 73k miles worth it?