Sponsored By:

2014 CD First DIY Oil Change Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:28 PM
schwarz633
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2014 CD First DIY Oil Change Experience

I purchased a 2014 CD in August from an independent used car dealer in the Chicago area. I believe the original owner had it serviced regularly at a Chicagoland Porsche dealer. It had 24,989 miles at the time of purchase and the dealer had apparently done an oil change using Mobil 1 0W-40 (not correct, but close). I finally found the time and courage to change the oil today at 27,348 miles (2,359). Here's a few observations:

I have a Bendpak MD-6XP scissors lift and the wingspan is such that the pads needed to be placed just short of being half off of the ends of the lift arms in order to reach the lift pad/sockets located in the rockers. This required getting the lift exactly centered left to right and in the optimal position front to rear. Not ideal, but it worked out.

I removed the plastic pans and was pleased to see that the fasteners securing them were galvanized and all unscrewed without a problem. I have other cars where these fasteners had rusted (I'm in Wisconsin) and were problematic. I coated these fasteners with Fluid Film before replacing the pans.

I wrapped the aluminum cross piece with aluminum foil and removed the drain plug. This is where things started going bad. The oil hitting the bottom of the drain pan immediately created twin geysers of oil shooting up and out the pan. This is my first diesel oil change, and I have never seen oil so black. Is this normal with only ~2,400 miles of service? Once that all settled down I let it drain for about 30 minutes while I removed the wheels and cleaned the backside of them. I replaced the drain pan with a cottage cheese container to catch the occasional drip so I could empty the drain pan. I then lowered the lift and opened up the filter canister. At this point a significant amount of oil started draining out the oil pan, and not into the cottage cheese container. Another mess to clean up. The new Mahle OX420DECO ($9 Rock Auto) filter installed without any problem.

I then installed a Fumoto F106SX ($36 Fumoto Online) drain valve. Hopefully this valve along with the snap-on hose kit ($6 Fumoto Online) will make future oil changes way less messy.

I added 7.3 liters of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 ($8/liter Summit Racing). The oil level indicator is right in the middle. I'd like to add a dipstick but I'm not sure what the correct part number is. Based on what I've read it seems that some of them need to be modified (cut the loop) to clear the engine cover. Does anyone have a part number for one that will drop in without modification?

I rotated the tires and set the correct pressures. After a couple of start/stop cycles and a bit of driving the TPMS seems to have recognized the new wheel locations.

I used a Foxwell NT520 Pro Porsche Diagnostic Scanner Tool ($160 eBay quickshipautoparts) to reset the oil service indicator. Once I located the correct dashboard display it was reading 5,000 miles, so I assume the reset was successful.

I was able to add 1 gallon of Kleen DEF ($3 Menards). There was probably room for a little more, but I didn't want to overfill it. I don't know what the level was when I purchased the CD.

I wanted to add 8 ounces of Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement Winterizer/Antigel ($9/80 ounces Farm & Fleet) but was perplexed by the diesel filler defeat mechanism. I located a 1" OD piece of plastic tubing which when inserted opened the flap. I was then able to pour the supplement into the full tank (25 gallons).

This all took me about 6 hours under ideal conditions (heat & light), but I was taking it slow as I didn't want to screw anything up. Definitely a learning experience, and I'm sure it will go much faster next time.

I was also able to inspect the brakes and measure the rotor diameters for future reference. Those front brakes are huge!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently changed my oil on a '15 CD for the first time and drained the oil from below. I have a Bendpak scissor lift also and it was a little sketchy with the lift pads all the way to the end of the lift arms.

Next time though, I will suck out the oil from above through the dipstick tube with an oil extractor. It will probably take less than 30 minutes that way and be much cleaner.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just a quick note: Porsche does not recommend rotating tires. I just get new tires every 20k miles.

I believe you can get a Touareg dipstick if you really want to use that method
Old 01-02-2019, 10:56 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

The black oil is normal for the diesel and is a large part of why they require more frequent oil changes than the gas motor Cayennes. It is soot from the combustion process suspended in the oil. The high EGR usage for emissions does not help either.
https://speedsociety.com/why-does-di...il-turn-black/
Old 01-02-2019, 11:20 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ believe it is more of the poor quality diesel that requires frequent oil changes in North America.
The following users liked this post:
Intercity Lines (06-28-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've added a dipstick to my 2015. The key is to make sure you get the correct on for your engine. You can find the engine designation on the vin sticker in the rear hatch; mine is a CNRB, which was also shared with VW and Audi. The first dipstick I got was for an earlier engine and was too long. The reading on the stick now corresponds to the level monitor. The dipstick does keep the forward left (driver side) snap of the engine cover from engaging, but that doesn't bother me. You can cut off half of the dipstick ring to solve that.

I've found that I can pour the fuel supplement into the filler opening without any hoses or trying to prop the flap open. I buy the same Power Service fuel supplement and transfer to a 20oz water bottle which I keep in the car. I can just pour it into the fuel filler directly from the smaller bottle before I fill the tank.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:35 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ believe it is more of the poor quality diesel that requires frequent oil changes in North America.
And that poor fuel quality leads to...

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
The black oil is normal for the diesel and is a large part of why they require more frequent oil changes than the gas motor Cayennes. It is soot from the combustion process suspended in the oil. The high EGR usage for emissions does not help either.
https://speedsociety.com/why-does-di...il-turn-black/
which can work as an abrasive if allowed to build up in high concentrations.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
And that poor fuel quality leads to...which can work as an abrasive if allowed to build up in high concentrations.
Poor lubricity for one as diesel moves to ULSD
Old 03-05-2019, 05:46 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
Next time though, I will suck out the oil from above through the dipstick tube with an oil extractor. It will probably take less than 30 minutes that way and be much cleaner.
So much easier this way, and according to 84% of the Internet Gurus, the suction approach gets out just as much oil...
Old 03-05-2019, 10:09 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Correct

Originally Posted by chsu74
CD's in Europe are on an every 10,000 mile oil change schedule.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:29 PM
qtro
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Canadian CD’s also has a 10,000 mile interval.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
The recommended oil change intervals for Audi Q5 and Q7, with essentially the identical engine, is 10,000 miles.

The 5,000 mile oil change interval makes no sense technically.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:18 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think current official oil interval change is 10K miles for CD. That's what I was told by Porsche dealership.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

One of the members here (HawkPilot) has been doing Blackstone labs analysis on his oil, so it'll be interesting what they say the OCI should be. With the emissions garbage in modern diesels, I read on BITOG (Bob is the oil guy) forums that the oil is basically done at 7,500 anyway. No real evidence to support it was presented though.

The Fumoto *WILL* make it better - I'm so happy I bought one. Do loosen the cap on the oil filter before you drain the oil though, makes it easier.

As for the fill, I've always added 8 quarts. The manual calls for 7.7 liters, which is 8.14 US quarts. http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...els-Engine-oil

For the DEF, You can buy one of the half-gallon VW/Audi AdBlue bottles for $15-20. It screws on to the filler and makes sure it can't be over-filled. The next time you are close to being full, just refill that (now empty) bottle back up from your 2.5 gallon jug a few times, and you won't make the mess that all of us have made..
Old 03-07-2019, 08:26 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schwarz633
. . . I wrapped the aluminum cross piece with aluminum foil and removed the drain plug. This is where things started going bad. The oil hitting the bottom of the drain pan immediately created twin geysers of oil shooting up and out the pan. This is my first diesel oil change, and I have never seen oil so black. Is this normal with only ~2,400 miles of service? Once that all settled down I let it drain for about 30 minutes while I removed the wheels and cleaned the backside of them. I replaced the drain pan with a cottage cheese container to catch the occasional drip so I could empty the drain pan. I then lowered the lift and opened up the filter canister. At this point a significant amount of oil started draining out the oil pan, and not into the cottage cheese container. Another mess to clean up. The new Mahle OX420DECO ($9 Rock Auto) filter installed without any problem.

I then installed a Fumoto F106SX ($36 Fumoto Online) drain valve. Hopefully this valve along with the snap-on hose kit ($6 Fumoto Online) will make future oil changes way less messy.

I added 7.3 liters of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 ($8/liter Summit Racing). The oil level indicator is right in the middle. I'd like to add a dipstick but I'm not sure what the correct part number is. Based on what I've read it seems that some of them need to be modified (cut the loop) to clear the engine cover. Does anyone have a part number for one that will drop in without modification?

. . .

I used a Foxwell NT520 Pro Porsche Diagnostic Scanner Tool ($160 eBay quickshipautoparts) to reset the oil service indicator. Once I located the correct dashboard display it was reading 5,000 miles, so I assume the reset was successful.
. . .

I wanted to add 8 ounces of Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement Winterizer/Antigel ($9/80 ounces Farm & Fleet) but was perplexed by the diesel filler defeat mechanism. I located a 1" OD piece of plastic tubing which when inserted opened the flap. I was then able to pour the supplement into the full tank (25 gallons).
. . .
schwarz633, I have a 2016 CD and can relate to much of what you have said. I also use the aluminum foil method, but I have had very good luck with it. I rarely get even a drop of oil on that cross member when I change the oil. I just shape the foil sort of like a funnel or ramp to direct the dirty oil that comes out. As has already been mentioned in this thread, it is normal to have the oil turn black after very little mileage in a diesel engine.

I also installed a real dipstick. I can't remember the part number, but my engine is a different generation from yours. So I am guessing the dipsticks are different. I did cut the top half of the circle handle off to make it fit under the engine cover. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have cut even more off or rounded off the edges because it is slightly damaging the cloth under the cover. Interestingly, I find that the level shown on the dash with the electronic dipstick image is often different from the real oil level.

You may want to consider getting a Porsche Diesel funnel adapter. I also add a fuel additive (Stanadyne) regularly, and this adapter is very helpful.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUDFF.html

Does anyone know if the Foxwell NT520 Pro Porsche Diagnostic Scanner Tool works to reset oil change/maintenance warnings for the 2016 model year Cayenne Diesels? My understanding is that affordable (to regular consumers) scan tools for 2016 model year diesels were not really available.

b-man

Quick Reply: 2014 CD First DIY Oil Change Experience