Sponsored By:

New CD owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New CD owner

I have been reading this forum for a while but I figured I would introduce myself and my new to me CD. Ok, I have had it for a couple of months now, but with work, family, and the holidays, this is the first chance I have to introduce myself. It is the second P-car in the house, the first being a 1994 968, and my first SUV. I bought it as a daily driver to replace my 2001 Audi S4. The wife declared I needed a newer car with a warranty for daily driving after the S4’s clutch went out for the second time in 3 months and had to be towed home. So, after much discussion on the requirements and looking at various other cars (Audi S4, S3, and V8 M3) and SUVs (Macan S, F-Pace-all versions), we decided that since they were not going to make any more CD’s so now would be the time to get one.

We had considered a CD in 2015, and even drove it back to back with an e-hybrid, when my wife was looking for a replacement for our old Volvo wagon. We liked the CD better than the e-hybrid. And then dieselgate happened…and she bought a 2013 Toyota Highlander Hybrid that had 150 miles (yes, you read that right)

It is a 2015 CD that had 35k miles. I purchased it from a seller off of the PCA mart, though I think it was also listed here. The options are:

It was just outside of Cleveland. Once it arrived here LA, I drove it for a couple of nights before the dreaded check engine light appeared. I had not even had a chance to smog/register it. Turns out it was one of the NOX reducing catalytic converters. So, I drove around in a base Macan for 2.5 weeks while the CD was stuck in dealer prison, waiting for the part to arrive/clear customs. I can definitely agree with everyone here, I was happy to have the CD back. For some reason the shift points in auto mode are way too low, especially when driving in traffic. I spent a lot of time in PDK mode. The most disappointing thing about it was for a 2.0 liter engine it got miserable mileage; I think I average 24 mpg on a tank, only slightly better than our 3.0 BMW wagon or my modified Audi. Go figure.

So, we are off to smog and register it, right? Not so fast young man! You still have to get the readiness codes to reset. It took exactly 200 miles for all of the readiness codes to reset, with the last one being the O2 sensor heater.

Now that it is registered and legal, I have been enjoying driving it around. The low end grunt is great, and even though it looks smaller on the inside than comparable cars, ie our Highlander, it holds a considerable amount of cargo. I have actually been getting pretty good mileage, in the mid to upper 20’s driving in LA traffic, and it handles much better than a 5,000 lb vehicle has a right to. It has the right amount of electronics (ie touch screen/displays) vs traditional instrumentation/buttons in my opinion. The Macan was getting too game boy-ish for me. My daughter named the CD the “Silver Fantastic” within 5 minutes of her laying eyes on it.

Eventhough it does not have the roof rails, I will be purchasing some load bars and feet for the skis. We are looking forward to its first roadtrip to the Sierras this winter.

Speaking of which, in looking through the manual they mention that ULS diesel starts to precipitate paraffin, or some other solids, below 20 deg F which can cause problems for the fuel pump or filter. Living in LA, I am not sure that they put any additives into the diesel. What is my best bet for dealing with below 20 deg F temperatures we will see at night in the Sierras?

My current thought is to only fill the tank up part way and then do a full fill up near Bishop, which does get cold enough, so they should have low temperature additives in the pump diesel. Any other thoughts? I know from reading other posts some of you, Otis, definitely see temperatures way below 20 deg F, so there must be a solution out there.

Anyway, I know this thread is useless without pics, so here goes:

Just registered, but couldn’t resist putting my Case Western plate frame on it with the OH plates before removing them.
Might need some clear film to protect that shiny front end…

The Porsche/Audi family- S4 relegated to part time duty now. My daughter needs her own parking space.

Here’s to a long road with the CD!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 PM
hammerdog
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on CD purchase. I use Power Service (white bottle) Diesel Additive in the winter. I travel to my cabin and Kirkwood Ski Resort and never had issues with fuel gelling. The Power Service Diesel Additive silver bottle is for summer so make sure you get the white bottle. Most auto stores, Wal Mart, Amazon, etc sell Power Service.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

+1 on powerservice white bottle. Your biggest risk for fuel gelling is getting caught with summer fuel as weather turns cold is now. Many stations have not not received winter fuel yet. Dump some of that white bottle in before weather turns cold. Then wait around for autozone to have their sale middle of winter and then load up.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:48 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Thanks! It looks like the white bottle even says "prevents fuel gelling." I will pick some up.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

You are in CA? Forget the winter treatment. Get this instead and fuel at Shell with premium diesel. It can wait..

Power Service 03850-02 Diesel Kleen with Concentrated Cetane Boost Formula - 2.5 G...
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-28-2018, 12:01 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

Really nice with great options. Nice build sheet....I'm envious. Wish mine had all that stuff.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats, lovely looking silver/black CD
Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Agree with waiting to refuel until you get closer to the Sierras, better chance of getting pre-treated diesel. We use Power Service in the north country. Note that up there the fuel is already treated, still added PS which is mainly a Cetane booster. Depending on how cold it gets you may need to use more. Be sure to add prior to refueling as it will help mix the PS with the diesel. Another thing to look at is the diesel fuel pre-heater - look in your owners manual for the symbol that is displayed on your dash. We had ours come on yesterday and the temp was only down to 30F.
The only electric plug-in heater we found was an external pad that is glued to the oil pan. The Webasto heaters Porsche offers as an option in Europe are not available in North America.
Some states like Washington require all vehicles, even true 4x4s, to have chains or similar devices in addition to winter tires.
Have a good trip!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS-America
Agree with waiting to refuel until you get closer to the Sierras, better chance of getting pre-treated diesel. We use Power Service in the north country. Note that up there the fuel is already treated, still added PS which is mainly a Cetane booster. Depending on how cold it gets you may need to use more. Be sure to add prior to refueling as it will help mix the PS with the diesel. Another thing to look at is the diesel fuel pre-heater - look in your owners manual for the symbol that is displayed on your dash. We had ours come on yesterday and the temp was only down to 30F.
The only electric plug-in heater we found was an external pad that is glued to the oil pan. The Webasto heaters Porsche offers as an option in Europe are not available in North America.
Some states like Washington require all vehicles, even true 4x4s, to have chains or similar devices in addition to winter tires.
Have a good trip!

Thanks for your thoughts. That was the same thought I had- bring the PS and add it before fueling up in Bishop. Just bought tire cables as well, CA has the same rules as WA, need to carry them, though it doesn't matter, our place requires chains/4x4 to get in and out anyway. I just wish I had two cars with the same tire size so I could share chains. Oh well...
Old 01-04-2019, 04:13 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel S
Funny, the email notification for your thoughts was the first email that I saw after being offline and out of the country for the last week. Thanks for your thoughts. That was the same thought I had- bring the PS and add it before fueling up in Bishop. Just bought tire cables as well, CA has the same rules as WA, need to carry them, though it doesn't matter, our place requires chains/4x4 to get in and out anyway. I just wish I had two cars with the same tire size so I could share chains. Oh well...
Other thoughts - either get the VW-Porsche fuel funnel or something similar to refuel. Out in the country the diesel pump may not have the right size nozzle. We are glad we had one as we did run into this more than once. Get windshield washer fluid for cold temps -35F. A full size spare does a lot better than the donut - especially on anything other than dry paved surfaces. We removed our donut spare and store things like extra Add-Blue, safety triangles, etc there.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS-America
Other thoughts - either get the VW-Porsche fuel funnel or something similar to refuel. Out in the country the diesel pump may not have the right size nozzle. We are glad we had one as we did run into this more than once. Get windshield washer fluid for cold temps -35F. A full size spare does a lot better than the donut - especially on anything other than dry paved surfaces. We removed our donut spare and store things like extra Add-Blue, safety triangles, etc there.
Picked up the fuel funnel on Friday, went home to put it in the spare tire/storage area and found out I already had one! Oh well, probably not bad to have 2 just in case. The PO left me a jug of -2F capable windshield washer fluid. I am a big believer in full size spares even for dry pavement, don't ask how I know, unfortunately, I will have to stick with the donut for now, but that is a good thought if we do remove the donut; extra storage is always welcome.

With the fresh snow in the Sierras, the drive up Friday should be fun.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel S
Picked up the fuel funnel on Friday, went home to put it in the spare tire/storage area and found out I already had one! Oh well, probably not bad to have 2 just in case. The PO left me a jug of -2F capable windshield washer fluid. I am a big believer in full size spares even for dry pavement, don't ask how I know, unfortunately, I will have to stick with the donut for now, but that is a good thought if we do remove the donut; extra storage is always welcome.

With the fresh snow in the Sierras, the drive up Friday should be fun.
I did the same thing! Now I leave the "spare" in the passenger side rear door compartment and pull it out when needed to refuel, rather then having to pop the trunk
Old 01-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I did the same thing! Now I leave the "spare" in the passenger side rear door compartment and pull it out when needed to refuel, rather then having to pop the trunk
Thanks that is a good idea. It is would be better to have it accessible when the CD is stuffed with cargo.

Quick Reply: New CD owner