Sponsored By:

Timing Cover leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Timing Cover leak?

I have a 2015 Cayenne Diesel with 15,000 miles. While changing the oil yesterday (thanks, DIY posts) I noticed this leak. Is this a timing chain cover leak?

Old 12-19-2018, 03:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Steve,

A clue as to the general location the photo was taken at might be helpful in getting an intelligent answer.

"Better questions get better answers.." (me)..
Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Yes, an establishing shot would help. I was too intent on getting details.

This was taken from under vehicle, with cover removed and looking straight up at junction of engine and transmission.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Difficult to tell the source of the leak. That area is where the torque converter for the transmission lives - so there is a seal on the engine output shaft and one on the transmission input (from the torque converter).. but it's always possible the oil is coming from higher up on the engine, and simply dripping there since that's about the lowest spot on the engine. I believe there are some issues with the oil pan seals on some diesels (there have been threads on the subject) - requires engine R&R to replace..
Old 12-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Thanks for the comments, Don. Not knowing anything about these beasts (I'm an air cooled guy), my first thought was crankshaft main seal. Classic source of leak in the bell housing, right? After a bit of searching here I found the timing chain cover issue and posed the question here.

I spoke with my Service Advisor. Based on just a description of the problem, he thinks he knows what is required. Like you said, R&R the engine and, in his words, "complete rebuild" (!?!) requiring 7-8 working days. I'll follow up with details afterward.

PS - I found this issue only because I was changing the oil myself. Thanks for the DIY section.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:26 PM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Default follow up

A quick follow up...
Dealer says the leak is not "active", therefore PCNA will not authorize repairs. Dealer cleaned up the leak, applied some kind of tracer powder and drove it a bit, but did not see evidence of any further leakage. They also inspected the area of the timing chain cover saw no indication of a leak.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Steve
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Get the dealer to document this "inactive" leak and visit another dealer. How can a droplet be considered an inactive leak? This may be the poor sealing of the timing chain cover(s) and is an engine out repair. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Agreed. I don't believe leaks self heal and I'm skeptical this was some sort of one time event (spill?). The dealer did document the "repair", and I have time to let the leak re-appear. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Timing Cover leak?