My First Water Pumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts
Default My First Water Pumper

Hello everybody,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Doug and I have been a PCA member for about 10 years. I have been a VW/Porsche enthusiast for 33 years. All of the vintage era. All of which are aircooled of course. I currently own two 914s and one 63 bus. That all changed over the weekend. My wife and I bought a used 2012 CTT with 59k on the clock. It has PDCC and PTV PLUS. It is the most amazing car we have ever owned for sure. I have always maintained my own vehicles, and plan to do so with the CTT. I am not afraid to buy or make specific tools for the tasks.

So far I have ordered the enthusiast version of Durametric. I found the 11000 page workshop manual that is almost impossible to use. And bought a 5 year subscription to alldata for the car. What I really need is a PDF version of the workshop manual that is broken up into sections for ease of use, But i cant find it anywhere. Feel free to PM me if you can help.

I haven't been able to find a detailed 60k miles service schedule so I made my own. If you guys see anything I have missed on my list please let me know and I will add it to the list. The carfax shows the car is a one owner car with all the service work done by a Porsche dealership (accept for the brakes. GRRRR...) But I have no details on what has and what hasn't been done so I am starting from scratch. My goal is to do EVERTHING a dealer would do with no stone unturned.

This is what I have so far in no particular order,

1. Change engine oil

2. Change engine oil filter

3. Change front differential oil

4. Change rear differential oil

5. Change transfer case oil

6. Change transmission filter

7. Change transmission fluid

8. Change air filters

9. Change cabin filter

10. Flush Brake system

11. Replace spark plugs

12. Replace PDCC rezzy
12a. Flush PDCC system

13. Clean cowl drains

14.Check t-stat housing for leaks

15. Check crossover pipe for leaks

16. Check brake linings

17. Check codes

18. Rotate tires

19. Check power steering (possibly flush)

20. Fill tires with nitrogen

21. Replace wiper blades

22. Serpentine belt, idlers, and tensioner

23. Check A/C condensation drain line

24. Reset service intervals

25. Replace power steering rezzy
25a. Flush power steering system

26. Flush cooling system

27. Lube pano roof?

28. Check coils for cracks

29. Install new transfer case vent line #958-301-047-11

I'm sure I have missed things specific to the CTT so if you guys see anything and I will update my list. It sucks to buy a car and immediately put it up on jackstands but I am in no hurry and would rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited by twodollardoug; 01-03-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Doug,

Quite the list. I can't think of anything you've missed. The 11,000 page manual is about all there is.. but - AllData does a good job of sorting out the info from in the manual to your specific model. You'll notice in the PDF manual they repeated EVERY damn procedure for every model - which is why it's 11,000 pages long.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:49 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Doug, great list. I too just bought a 2013 CTT. Most of the jobs on your list are also on my list. I would also change the SERP belt. It’s on my list. Last weekend I did front and rear brake pads as they were about 3mm. This weekend will be front and rear diff fluid, spark plugs and Serp belt. Already did oil and filter. In near future will be tranny fluid and tranny filter, air filters and cabin filter.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Doug,

Quite the list. I can't think of anything you've missed. The 11,000 page manual is about all there is.. but - AllData does a good job of sorting out the info from in the manual to your specific model. You'll notice in the PDF manual they repeated EVERY damn procedure for every model - which is why it's 11,000 pages long.
Yes, I noticed that.... I'm surprised there is no workshop manuals out there. I did see a set of hard copies on ebay for something like $1400. They were for the earlier models. My only fear about alldata is that they differ from Porsche in some way. Like an old Chilton manual. Have you guys found Alldata to be accurate? Hard to tell with nothing to cross reference. I need to dig into the Alldata a little deeper.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 140.6er
Doug, great list. I too just bought a 2013 CTT. Most of the jobs on your list are also on my list. I would also change the SERP belt. It’s on my list. Last weekend I did front and rear brake pads as they were about 3mm. This weekend will be front and rear diff fluid, spark plugs and Serp belt. Already did oil and filter. In near future will be tranny fluid and tranny filter, air filters and cabin filter.
Congratulations on your car. Thanks for the reminder on the serpentine belt. It did cross my mind but didn't make it on the list, so I edited the list. Where are getting parts from? So far I have been ordering from Sonnen Porsche. Does your car have PDCC? PTV Plus?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I will take a look through the DIY threads and document my travels for the ones that aren't covered. I am actually looking forward to working on this thing. It is defiantly the mos sophisticated car I have ever owned. My first introduction into fuel injection was my KTM Advententure. Then I converted my 3.6 993 engine to individual throttle bodies for one of my 914's. So I am no stranger to using a laptop to work on my vehicles. I still still need to get that lab coat to look the part.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:43 PM
140.6er
Pro

I’ve been getting parts from Pelican Parts, Europa Parts, SunCoast and RMEuropean. I used ALLDATA for the brake job and it was on point. Yes my whip has PDCC and PVT Plus. I think I have almost every option offered. I have a 997.2 and the CTT is much more involved when doing DIY. I know the air spring system will be a challenge in the future.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

One thing I haven't been able to find much information on is the timing chain. Maybe you guys can help me.... Is there a replacement interval on it?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:53 PM
140.6er
Pro

Not that I know of but I will let Don speak on the matter.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:01 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Yes, I noticed that.... I'm surprised there is no workshop manuals out there. I did see a set of hard copies on ebay for something like $1400. They were for the earlier models. My only fear about alldata is that they differ from Porsche in some way. Like an old Chilton manual. Have you guys found Alldata to be accurate? Hard to tell with nothing to cross reference. I need to dig into the Alldata a little deeper.
AllData is from the factory manual. Procedures and illustrations are identical.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
One thing I haven't been able to find much information on is the timing chain. Maybe you guys can help me.... Is there a replacement interval on it?
No. And it would be a really MAJOR job (engine out sort of job).. they aren't a problem that I've seen (and I've been on here a long time.. I've heard of exactly one being changed, and it wasn't clear to me that it needed to be.)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:29 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
No. And it would be a really MAJOR job (engine out sort of job).. they aren't a problem that I've seen (and I've been on here a long time.. I've heard of exactly one being changed, and it wasn't clear to me that it needed to be.)
Ok, that makes sense. That must be why my research came up empty handed. Yes, it would be a big job with expensive Porsche tools. But with the engine out that would be a perfect time to JB Weld those stinken coolant pipes.

One more question for the evening. I could have sworn that I read that when Porsche went to the 8 speed Tiptronic they did away with the transfer case. I haven't had the belly pans off yet to check. Is this true? My CTT is an 8 speed.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

there is a separate transfer case, and they are troublesome.

what they deleted is the low range function.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If the coils have not been changed, you may want to do that with the plugs as preventative. At least have a couple of new ones on hand. They are cheap at sunset porsche.

You may want to check the valve cover gaskets for seepage and change those while you are doing plugs.

There are cowl drains on both sides - so make that item "plural".

Otherwise that is a fairly complete list. I did all of those things on my '11 CTT except for the transmission fluid, which had recently been done.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

On the serpentine belt replacement you will also want to check the tensioner and rollers to see if they need replacement. When I did my belt at 100K all mine were fine but others have needed replacements.

Quick Reply: My First Water Pumper