Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Test drove a 958.1 GTS yesterday, felt stiffer then turbo and base?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:58 AM
darkus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a 958.1 GTS yesterday, felt stiffer then turbo and base?

I know the GTS namesake is supposed to be the most sporty of the cayenne models, but I thought it has the same air suspension as the rest of the models so it should be as equally as comfortable as the rest

Am I wrong? Curious if anyone here knows if the GTS is actually somehow tuned to be stiffer or maybe if this tester had over inflated tires or something like that..

Thanks for any comments. Been hunting for a turbo for months to no avail, and finally found a GTS and was ready to pull the trigger, until this test drive. I need the car as a daily family car so i'm hesitant now with the stiff ride

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:53 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Some run on coil springs, some on air. Which did yours have?

Also tire manufacturer can play a big role on how the car rides. What tires were on the car as well as the pressure you mentioned, although the Cayenne's run high pressure so I doubt that the pressure would be too high.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:17 PM
darkus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Some run on coil springs, some on air. Which did yours have?

Also tire manufacturer can play a big role on how the car rides. What tires were on the car as well as the pressure you mentioned, although the Cayenne's run high pressure so I doubt that the pressure would be too high.
Wow I feel like an idiot... I ASSumed all GTS have air suspension like the turbo. Looking at the build sheet I dont see the words air suspension anywhere, so I guess its on coils. It does have PDCC. I wonder why anyone would have configured it like that..
Old 12-15-2018, 04:31 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

At the end of the day, you'll be able to make that Cayenne with coils and PDCC out handle an air suspension PDCC quipped Cayenne any day of the week. Throw some high end coilers on it and coupled with that PDCC, that's a recipe for eating up the canyons.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2013 GTS does ride a bit stiff. unless I put it in Comfort mode and keep the height at "normal". Doesn't bother me one bit and my wife actually prefers it to the typical lull of a Mercedes.
The following users liked this post:
RyanAllison (12-31-2021)
Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Captain racing
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading in the jalopnik review back in 13 that the gts has a significantly stiffer setup than the rest of the lineup. They noted in sport plus it's 911 level stiff. How was it? I'm thinking of picking one up this winter. That exhaust note is epic. Best soundtrack on an SUV ever in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:12 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

All US bound GTS 958s have air suspension, it won't say PASM on the build sheet as it's standard. And yes it is 20mm lower than a Turbo and slightly stiffer.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:35 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Well there it is!

Ok, next question. What makes the GTS ride stiffer? Thicker bags? I say this because if we lower our Turbo's 20mm, we get bounciness and not a stiffer ride.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Suspension tuning I think. That I don’t really know
Old 12-16-2018, 05:56 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
All US bound GTS 958s have air suspension, it won't say PASM on the build sheet as it's standard. And yes it is 20mm lower than a Turbo and slightly stiffer.
In addition to the plain fact that air suspension is standard on US spec GTSs, that fact that the OP said that it had PDCC seals the deal right there. ALL PDCC optioned Cayennes HAVE to have air suspension.

I don’t recall all the tech detail/specs on the GTS specific suspension, but there are both H/W and tuning differences, and a standard 10mm lower ride height at all settings. These things do make it a bit more firm than the other models (all other things being equal like tire/wheel selection).
Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

ahh! thought it was 20mm, gotcha.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:50 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I drove several GTS before I pulled the trigger on my 14 - I thought most of them drove way too stiff, and then when I drove the one I bought it was a revelation. I think a lot of it has to do with not just the tires but what they are inflated to - mine is super smooth and rides nothing like the others I tested. I would say to check the tires/psi and then don't settle until you find the right one.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
I think a lot of it has to do with not just the tires but what they are inflated to - mine is super smooth and rides nothing like the others I tested. I would say to check the tires/psi and then don't settle until you find the right one.
Agreed. I just had my winters put on at the dealer and it seems like they over-inflated them. I notice because I crank the pressure up for autocross and sometimes forget. When I get out on the road I notice it IMMEDIATELY, as the ride is significantly impacted. Steering is twitchier and the ride much harsher. So it's pull over and air-down to proper levels.

Yep, manual says 35/38 and I think they're set to 38/43 for some reason. I rarely carry enough for it to need 'full load'. But the 3-5 pound pressure difference is noticeable with a harder ride and slightly twitchier steering.

http://porscheownersmanuals.com/2017...al/16/395/page

Cayenne 2017 tire pressures
Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The GTS is definitely stiffer and has different rebound rates in their setup. It is a much sportier ride even in comfort compared to the Turbo. That is part of the reason I went from GTS back to a Turbo. The significant other and I both didn't like the change in comfort from the GTS.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:42 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Well there it is!

Ok, next question. What makes the GTS ride stiffer? Thicker bags? I say this because if we lower our Turbo's 20mm, we get bounciness and not a stiffer ride.
My CTT seems stiffer when lowered. I thought it was too softly damped in comfort mode since I left it lowered all the time when I first bought it. It would feel 'floaty' or underdamped in comfort mode. Then I realized in normal ride height setting the comfort mode is damped OK, soft but not as floaty. Leading me to believe the lower setting is a higher spring rate.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 958.1 GTS yesterday, felt stiffer then turbo and base?