Sponsored By:

Malone stage 2 review

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:07 AM
Mr. Body Massage
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Malone stage 2 review

We just bought a 13 CD with 115k miles, well maintained by my parents its whole life. Upon taking delivery I changed all filters and fluids. They got the emissions fix about a year ago and have been pretty disappointed by the performance since then. That was a factor in them recently moving to a Jaguar F-pace diesel. We then bought the CD from them. I have noticed the hesitation and sluggish starts, then the problem of pushing the gas pedal more to overcome the sluggishness and rocketing forward after the hesitation. I drove the car occasionally when they had it and never remember it doing that before. So, now that it was mine and out of warranty, after much research I decided to do the Malone stage 2 tune.

I at first was leaning toward the DPF delete, but this is an extra $600 delete pipe and $250 for more tuning, on top of not technically being legal. At that price point I decided not to, as it was basically double the price for an extra 15 hp and torque and a small mpg benefit. If any of my emissions components fail out of warranty though, you can bet that's the way I will go as it's cheaper than fixing it. The Malone stage 2 flash adds 60-80 hp and 100-120 ft-lbs of torque, and changes the throttle mapping to better than pre emissions fix feeling. The throttle tip in is now perfect and the CD behaves exactly as you think it should, maybe even a little quicker than you would think. Starting from a stop has no more hesitation, completely gone. Though the engine does seem a bit more noisy and coarse under heavy throttle, this thing truly goes now. This is most pronounced under throttle roll on, spooling up the turbo around 1500 rpm. High gears, even 7th, are easy to use to merge onto a highway or interstate. A quick squeeze of the throttle and you can easily match the speed of traffic around you. The power is addicting and fun to play with. It won't snap your neck, but it is very impressive how quickly this tank now picks up speed. The digital speed readout is jumping 5 mph at a time just to keep up. It has made our Cayenne tons more enjoyable to drive around town, and this praise is coming from a sports car aficionado. Fuel economy is at the least not impacted, but I have consistently gotten 1-3 mpg better than I was before the tune. Malone claims no mpg increase unless the DPF is bypassed, so I don't know why my economy seems to be better, but it is repeatably so.

TL;DR - Get the Malone tune if you have a CD and the emissions fix bugs you or you want more power. Well worth it, makes a very noticeable difference.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Great. Thanks for the review. This is on my shortlist for the cayenne.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the review. I had this done on my 2012 Touareg TDI with a full delete. Man did that thing run nice.

Need to get this done on the cayenne, keep the emissions this time due to the long warranty.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:07 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts

I'd love Malone to put a package together with a flash for the transmission to get it back to "normal" too. Once warranty is finished....
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been thinking about doing the Malone Stage 2 once the warranty runs out, which I think is another 2 years, can't wait!!! Think the stage 3 involves deletes.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review! Looking forward to scoping this out
Old 12-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Mr. Body Massage
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also should have mentioned that it is just as drivable as stock, no hiccups or rough starts, etc. Acts the exact same as Porsche tune but better.
The following users liked this post:
abatis (12-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Malone stage 2 review