How to Spot Non OEM Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 12:27 AM
burkew
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Spot Non OEM Wheels?

Hi All,

Still on the hunt for a used 958.2 CTT, but have enjoyed this forum very much, thank you all.

I am going on Friday to check out a '15 CTT, where which the build sheet (online) and the picture of the window sticker sent to me shows it has the 20" RS Spyder wheels. However, pictures of the car show it is clearly wearing the 21" Sport Design wheels. So, my only concern is that the wheels on the car are not factory wheels.....is there a way to check ? Some kind of stamp on the drum of the wheel or such?

And secondly, I suppose, should I be concerned? I live in SoCal so the roads aren't too terrible. If they are not OEM, I will certainly use it as leverage with the pricing, but would you all feel comfortable driving around on "knock-off" wheels?

Thanks for the help and insight, and have a Happy Thanksgiving !

Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by burkew
Hi All,

Still on the hunt for a used 958.2 CTT, but have enjoyed this forum very much, thank you all.

I am going on Friday to check out a '15 CTT, where which the build sheet (online) and the picture of the window sticker sent to me shows it has the 20" RS Spyder wheels. However, pictures of the car show it is clearly wearing the 21" Sport Design wheels. So, my only concern is that the wheels on the car are not factory wheels.....is there a way to check ? Some kind of stamp on the drum of the wheel or such?

And secondly, I suppose, should I be concerned? I live in SoCal so the roads aren't too terrible. If they are not OEM, I will certainly use it as leverage with the pricing, but would you all feel comfortable driving around on "knock-off" wheels?

The one way to be certain that I'm aware of requires being able to access the back of the wheel where you can view the stampings cast into the wheel (typically on the back of the spokes). There are no forward facing markings/stamps on the OEM Porsche wheels that I'm aware of.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:36 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by burkew
Hi All,

i would say with certainty that 21 " sport design are oem. are they gloss black ?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Shoot up a pic of the wheel and we might be able to tell
Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dz997 tts
i would say with certainty that 21 " sport design are oem. are they gloss black ?
Not necessarily, there are aftermarket reproductions (some quite accurate) of EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply: How to Spot Non OEM Wheels?