Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brighter reverse lights?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 PM
TCMdiesel
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter reverse lights?

Totally in love with my (wife’s) 2016 diesel that we got back in April. She is too, by the way.

She mentioned the other day that she only had one complaint after several months; the reverse lights are a bit dim. I took note next time I took it out at night and I have to agree, they could be brighter.

Anyone know of or have experience with upgrading the bulbs/LEDs?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree 100%. The lighting on my PP-equipped 2016 is superb in all respects with the exception of the reverse lights!

I'd think de-soldering and replacing the LED chips from the inside of the taillights would be an interesting pet project, but not my cup of tea.

If you have the tow package, there is a reverse wire in the 7-pin harness, and you might be able to find something to go into the receiver that would illuminate in reverse?
Old 11-22-2018, 05:34 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Bit different from the reverse light but you could take a similar approach:
Issue we had was the red tail lights become obliterated by the dirt or snow we drive through. We tied into the tail lights from the inside then routed the wire above the headliner and out through the rubber seal next to the tailgate hinge to our Aux taillights. See link for photos and more detail.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:20 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Thought for reverse lights is to take what we did above but mount the reverse lights using both rear tow hook receptacles.
We use our trailer hitch with a Factor 55 hitchlink to pull -or- to be pulled from the rear. Add a shackle & get free shipping.
Factor 55 gear is designed & made in the USA to military specs.
They are running a sale right now. https://factor55.com/product/hitchlink/
" BLACK FRIDAY SALE use code: USAMADEF55 -- 10% OFF Free Shipping on Orders $100 Only happens once a year! FREE GIFT with EVERY ORDER "
Old 01-06-2019, 04:49 AM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree with you on the reverse lights. I don’t normally care when I’m at my home, but when travelling to the woods or somewhere near pitch black at night- the backup lights suck. I’m tempted to add rear Led lights near the black ground effects on the lowest part of the bumper, or looking to install lights just below the rear spoiler, wiring back through to the hatch. Not sure yet, either morimoto or rigid lights. The car is not square enough to get away with lights for off-road unless you go all out like Otis, so I’m trying to find something that’s clean. I upgraded the front fogs to morimoto XB yellow LEDs and I have the factory LED headlights on my 15 CS
The following users liked this post:
Benjamin Cherry (01-28-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brighter reverse lights?