Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

TPMS-from TPMS.com and new winter tires, plug and play

Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default TPMS-from TPMS.com and new winter tires, plug and play

Thanks to Garrett at TPMS.com. New sensors, that were plug and play, for <$150 shipped. They do NOT need any sort of tool or a trip to a dealer or anywhere. Just mount them on the wheel-thankfully the 19" Design II wheels that came with my truck were bare as I could install the TPMS myself and learn that any old monkey that can follow instructions can put the things on.

I then too, the tires and wheels to my local shop-the guys that buy old gas stations and then run tire shops out of them and that use floor jacks outside the bay to jack a vehicle up-yes, that kind of shop where having all four tires mounted and balanced would have cost me $60 total, so I gave them $60 and told the guy in charge to split the $20 between him and the guy who was probably going to be doing the work. I made sure they lined up the white dots that Pirelli marks on the tire with the valve stem and I had noticed that the wheels didn't need very many weights.

Like a one man F1/NASCAR pit crew, I had the 20" wheels off and the 19" winter wheels on in under 1 hour or about 15 minutes per wheel.

I switched the TPMS screen on, told the truck that there are now 19" winter wheels/tires and after a few hundred yards, the "relearn" took place and all four wheels were reading on the TPMS-screen=NICE!

I have not had winter tires on a vehicle since around 1996 when I was using my sisters Dodge Caravan and with the winter tires only on the front, the traction in the snow was pretty amazing and I expect that the traction in the Cayenne is going to be nothing short of incredible. I'm so looking forward to the snow as last winter was a very snowy winter and while the truck did well with the Verde Plus A/S, there were some times when I was pulling the trailer and it was snowing where I will admit that I could and would, probably get snow tires for this upcoming winter.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

What perfect timing. I open the garage door and there are 2" on the roads, all slippery and slidey and coming down good.

Now there is too much traction as I used to enjoy 4-wheel drifting around lots of wide intersections and in the big parking lot in the morning, no more. 255 50 19".

TPMS sensors fired right up and were exactly at the 38/44 I had set the tires at last night. My install was spot-on.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Pirelli Scorpions?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Yes, Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires.

These suckers here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5VR9SCORWN0OLD
Old 11-22-2018, 03:50 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a set of Pirelli Scorpions as well and waiting for TPMS shipments. They ran out when I ordered couple of weeks ago and somehow did not ship to me until Tuesday this week......
Old 11-22-2018, 07:53 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Sucks about your TPMS. At least now I know what is what and how easy it all will be for me to get whatever changes I will ever need done, done as I'm fortunate that there are a lot of guys in the bigger city next door to me, mostly Dominican Republic and Puerto Rican guys who bought the garage spaces and now run their motor vehicle repair/tire shops out of and I benefit by being able to have tires both mounted and balanced for $60. I'll bet I'd only be charged $30 to have my 4 tires taken off the rims any time I might need to. Makes life easy when they stop whatever they were doing to work on my job(s).

I am now so looking forward to driving in the snow. I love driving in the snow and now that I have pure-snows, it is only going to get MORE fun.

Come on record-breaking snow, ice, rain and cold. I love me winter.

Life, is going to get better this upcoming winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS-from TPMS.com and new winter tires, plug and play