Sponsored By:

2011 Cayenne Transmission Failure? Plz Advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCayenneKid
Very Interesting Share, especially the part about needing to be in DRIVE to put the last quart or two in. Looking at the receipts, looks like they put in 6 quarts, where everyone else is saying ~7 on that thread. Perhaps they just didn't charge me for the 7th? Granted, that is also the 955 Forum. This is a 958.1 V8 Cayenne S so I'd imagine they'd be sharing most parts. I remember the techs telling me transmission change is a mess and a PITA with needing to be warmed up, changing gears, some spilling out, etc. The Indy I bring this two I have a lot of trust in, it's just him and his son and he has a lot of Porsches in his shop which tells me he knows what he's doing, The old time racer dude, its not uncommon to see the two doing some complex tear downs on high performance 911's.
The 955 and 958 transmissions are completely different. 955=6 speed, 958=8 speed. Do not use specs for the 955 when dealing with the 958.

And someone with lots of experience on the flat-6 Porsche is not necessarily experienced on the Cayenne. They are entirely different. I doubt if any parts (except the accessory clock) are interchangeable.

I'm glad you trust him so much - perhaps visiting him and asking why the vehicle is doing what it's doing after he serviced it might be a step in the right direction. If he has Porsche specific software compatible with the Cayenne it would allow him to reset the transmission adaptations (which I don't think will do anything - but can't hurt..)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

The Indy I bring this two I have a lot of trust in, it's just him and his son and he has a lot of Porsches in his shop which tells me he knows what he's doing, old time racer dude, its not uncommon to see the two doing some complex tear downs on high performance 911's.
Sorry... got all excited as I've never seen the 000 043 306 24 number until after updating my parts catalog document... But my opinion below still stands:

The fact they didn't fill it properly initially and needed to top it off is not very confidence inspiring either. No matter how nice they are, or whatever, you need someone familiar with these vehicles.

Here's what I am reading: Problem 1: you initially presented with transfer case symptoms, changed fluids, and the transfer case problems still exist... which it would do if you had a transfer case that has clutch packs that are beyond repair which a fluid change won't help. Frequent short street driving routines will wear a transfer case quicker than a freeway driven 958. Problem 2: You also had the transmission fluid changed and now have a new shifting problem that is totally different than your initial issue.

If you're asking for help, here is what I recommend:
1. Find a new shop that knows what they are supposed to do!
2. Flat bed your Cayenne there and get the transmission properly filled with the correct oil and pray you didn't destroy your transmission!!!
3. If you still have transfer case issues, decide if you want to leave it as is, do a rebuild, or get a replacement.

Done.

By the way, those diagnostic codes are worthless for this issue, but they all look related to a low battery voltage or complete battery disconnection (again, they don't sound like they followed the shop protocol to replace the battery... another flag). Good luck!

Last edited by garrett376; 12-11-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:32 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Served
If the shop changed the transmission filter along with the fluid, I would definitely be asking them to open it back up and check to see if the filter and o-ring are seated properly. Read this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ue-help-2.html
THIS!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

the "slip and then lock up" in 2nd before it goes into 3rd is something mine has also always done and it annoys the crap out of me
Old 12-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

So I spent some more time looking at this issue on my car. Basically it overshoots the revs by about 50-100rpm, but there no clunk or hesitation. It happens in all gears and it happens whether you are on or off the gas (i shifted manually). It feels to me more like torque converter lockup than transfer case. I also looked up my TC fluid wear indicator, and it was 60mhz. I also recently did a TC oil change with Ravenol and I have no other signs of TC issues. Will have to monitor. If its the TC I will rebuild the thing.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:41 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

While I know the 955 is different, I had slip/flare, and stutter issues on it. A new valve body solved it immediately. Very much a DIY project - messy, but pretty easy. ~3hrs. Has anyone here done a VB on a 958 trans?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:27 AM
vvredd
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, bringing this thread back up as the problem has arguably gotten worse unfortunately.

Just this past Wednesday, I had my trans fluid added to (they said if it was off, it was by very little). While I was in there I had the TC fluid swapped once more (last done about 5k miles ago) and did the oil as well on the same interval.

The car drives a teeny bit smoother, but now it has a new quirk... On cold mornings and when the car is still pretty cold, It likes to try and start in 6th gear and bog all the way down the road. It didn’t respond to my paddle shifters or center console shifter, and it didn’t do anything when I tried pressing ‘Sport’ as well. It stayed in 6th gear regardless of throttle input until I came to a complete stop (I was trying to drive down a 30mph road at this time). As you can imagine, this is quite dangerous and embarrassing when trying to navigate a busy down town area.

This problem doesn’t really surface when it is warmer outside and/or the car itself is more warmed up.

What is my next course of action here? Should I contact Porsche and ask for reflash of the ECU? When the car is warmed up it drives perfectly fine which leads me to believe it’s not a mechanical problem. Any thoughts?
Hello,

Has the problem been resolved for your car? Can you please tell me what the problem was and what solved it? This is the exact same problem that i am facing.

Regards
The following users liked this post:
mrmaximo (11-11-2023)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:18 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
the "slip and then lock up" in 2nd before it goes into 3rd is something mine has also always done and it annoys the crap out of me
Do you mean slips in 3rd?
At least on my CD it shifts into 3rd but the torque converter is initially loose. This doesn't happen in manual shift mode, only drive. Then part way through 3rd the torque converter locks up and the revs drop. This feels like an additional shift, but it's not. You can watch the gear indicator and it doesn't change.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:15 AM
imalek
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, I am not sure if I am having the same issue on my 958, 2013, if I pushy on the accelerator, I have small kicks to accelerate (like if the car is trying to catch the target speed) then it goes at a certain level or speed, this happens only in normal mode, normal acceleration does not do anything, it is smooth. No high rpm without action, the car always start from the 1st speed even if time for the 1st speed is too short, then it goes to 2nd speed and so on ...
is this misfire or transmission failure ?

Last edited by imalek; 10-24-2020 at 04:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transmission Failure? Plz Advise