Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

DIY TUTORIAL - How to change a V-belt and water pump (3.0 diesel)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 PM
J4g3d
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb DIY TUTORIAL - How to change a V-belt and water pump (3.0 diesel)

Right. So this is what I did.
1. I loosened the 3 bolts holding the water pump pulley.
2. Theres a large rubber hose at the front of the engine, remove it to give yourself more room.
3. I connected my T60 to the serpentine tensioner and pulled it up (clockwise)
4. Belt is now loose, so you can easily pull the belt off.
5. Now undo the 3 bolts you loosened and remove the pulley.
6. Now water pump is exposed. Lets first remove coolant cap to release any pressure.
7. Undo water pump bolts, about 10 bolts.
8. Pump may be stuck on, try use a crowbar or similar to gently prise it off.
9. Coolant gushes out. Once stopped gushing out, clean up the area and don't get oil or dirt in the coolant system.

Then fit all back in reverse.

NOTES:

-when tightening the 3 pulley bolts, try put some thin screwdriver or thin bar into the 2 holes to lock the pulley in place. There is a special tool for this but you don't need to buy this tool.
-Also by letting the coolant gush out from the water pump means you only lose approx 2.5L of coolant. If you want to do a proper coolant flush completely prior to undertaking the job then remove a hose near the bottom of the engine bay and let the coolant flush out. By doing this you'll need much more coolant to fill the system up (I think its 11L).
-V-belt i used was a contitech 6PK2523 (original from factory was also a contitech) I paid just 14GBP for it on amazon (but ebay has them for 20GBP)

I've uploaded official documents (totally forgot to look at this before doing the job.. haha)

Last edited by J4g3d; 11-22-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Thank you.
Looks pretty straight forward.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Hang Yu Xu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi J4g3d, Great writing. Just wonder where you get those instructions? I need to replace lower oil pan gasket and need instruction.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:37 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Hang Yu Xu
Hi J4g3d, Great writing. Just wonder where you get those instructions? I need to replace lower oil pan gasket and need instruction.
Hang,

First - welcome to the forum..

I noticed you dropping in your problem in unrelated threads. Might I suggest you start a new thread with specific info on what you want to do and what model/engine your Cayenne is? That will likely get you better answers.

I believe your 2015 Cayenne /S is the V6 model? (Did I remember that right?).. if it is - it may be difficult to find any info. The illustrations in the thread above appear to be from the factory service manual, which is sometimes found on eBay by less than scrupulous sellers.. problem is - the ones on eBay may not cover your engine. As another source of info - there is All-Data-DIY (http://www.alldatadiy.com/) AllData uses factory manuals to put together a website for DIY users - on a subscription basis. The cost is quite reasonable, but again - I'm not certain how much information they have on the later V6 engines.

I do believe engine removal is likely needed to replace the pan on a V6 engine. I also suspect there is no actual gasket - that Porsche may have used sealant instead of a pan gasket - but that's just a guess on my part (I believe you found there is no gasket sold..)

Anyway - please DO start a new thread - use a good "subject" for it - specifying what help you're looking for, and for what year/model.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

J4g3d - I'm making a copy of your posting over to the DIY subforum. Thanks for the submission!

DONE: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-0-diesel.html
Old 11-22-2018, 07:47 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Great write up. At what mileage are people replacing water pumps and thermostats on 2013 CTT.?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:05 PM
clinkinfo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post, thanks!

anyone know how much different / tighter spaced the TT is? Or is it similarly straightforward?

thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY TUTORIAL - How to change a V-belt and water pump (3.0 diesel)