Sponsored By:

Air Suspension Predicament - Out of Stock

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,637 Posts
Default Air Suspension Predicament - Out of Stock

So turns out right front has leak. Shop wants to replace both left and right at the same time per Porsche book.

Put the cost aside and everything else that we can start a discussion on and contemplate this. They are sold out of the right shock assembly with no foreseeable date it will be available again. I now have a vehicle that is not operational.

What is Porsche's responsibility in a case like this? You would think they have a duty to make available parts for the vehicle. You would think that if a part is not available, they would have a date where it would become available. Not the case here, no ETA on the part. Could take 1 month or years according to the peeps I spoke with. WTF!

Thoughts!

I can get 20k off a 2018 Stelio Quadrifoglio right now. It's sounding tempting.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:49 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
So turns out right front has leak. Shop wants to replace both left and right at the same time per Porsche book.

Put the cost aside and everything else that we can start a discussion on and contemplate this. They are sold out of the right shock assembly with no foreseeable date it will be available again. I now have a vehicle that is not operational.

What is Porsche's responsibility in a case like this? You would think they have a duty to make available parts for the vehicle. You would think that if a part is not available, they would have a date where it would become available. Not the case here, no ETA on the part. Could take 1 month or years according to the peeps I spoke with. WTF!

Thoughts!

I can get 20k off a 2018 Stelio Quadrifoglio right now. It's sounding tempting.
Contact Suncoast Porsche and ask them to run a scan for this part # in the Porsche network. They can tell you availability (and projected availability) worldwide. They did this for me recently when I ordered a set of the hard-to-get Porsche Exclusive floormats for my vehicle.

These earlier 958s do seem to be reaching that point however where additional 'stuff' it starting to occur.

As for the Alfa, yeah great reviews and seems to be quite the vehicle, but almost every one of those same reviews mentions some problem areas encountered already during the review, and/or questions longer term durability/reliability with the brand. So who knows...time will tell.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:03 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

http://ec.europa.eu/DocsRoom/documen...ditions/native
Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 PM
13CayenneTurbo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your vehicle at the dealer? Is this warranty/CPO work? I had a leak in my front drivers side air strut and it was replaced without delay, about a year ago by the dealer. Warranty only covered one side though.

Somewhat concerning that an air strut isn’t available.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

They can't repair what's leaking? Mine leaked due to a top seal failure, and just required the new seal plus 2 o-rings to fix.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Served
Track Day

Mine are leaking too. Didn't want to pay dealer strut prices, or put some sketchy rebuilt units on so I just ordered these Bilstein B4 OE Replacement Air Suspension Modules: https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/airspring/ Will let you know how they ride after they are installed. You can find them for a bit over 900 a piece. Cheapest I saw the dealer struts online was around 1450 for each assembly.(air spring+strut).

Originally Posted by garrett376
They can't repair what's leaking? Mine leaked due to a top seal failure, and just required the new seal plus 2 o-rings to fix.
Just curious, how was it diagnosed? Seems like you would have to remove and disassemble the unit to determine if it was a leaky seal. Not a huge task but looks like it paid off in your case! Mine aren't leaking anywhere visible with the soapy water test but in the morning the front right is slammed to the ground nearly.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:38 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...air-suspension
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd bet money it's not actually the air strut having problems, but rather the valves on the pump. Mine was also 'leaking' so I had it replaced at my expense (keeping the old one) and lo and behold, same problem still exists. So I guess if you REALLY want one, I've got one available with about 60k on it, crated and ready to go. Does seem like they're throwing right front struts at this problem that seems to be getting more common and probably why there is no stock.

Edit: also, if your cayenne is at the dealer awaiting parts, seems to me they can provide you with a service loaner. Having miles racking up on a new Macan might get them creative at finding a replacement part.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 PM
13CayenneTurbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
I'd bet money it's not actually the air strut having problems, but rather the valves on the pump. Mine was also 'leaking' so I had it replaced at my expense (keeping the old one) and lo and behold, same problem still exists. So I guess if you REALLY want one, I've got one available with about 60k on it, crated and ready to go. Does seem like they're throwing right front struts at this problem that seems to be getting more common and probably why there is no stock.

Edit: also, if your cayenne is at the dealer awaiting parts, seems to me they can provide you with a service loaner. Having miles racking up on a new Macan might get them creative at finding a replacement part.
I don’t think Porsche is throwing $1500 struts at a problem without diagnosing exactly where the leak is. My leaking strut was tested extensively to find the source. Dealer said PCNA wanted thorough documentation before sending a replacement.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Let me clear the air.

1. Car is back in my garage.
2. No warranty whatsoever on the car
3. Diagnosed as a front intermittent leaky airbag. I know it's leaking through the shock mount and o ring. I can hear it up there. I have already ordered the parts at a cost of $98.00 Two rubber shock mounts and two "o" rings. I purchased extra also but the $98 is the cost for two and two. If you guys are thinking of doing this fix, order the parts soon as those too are low on stock. I'll do a write up on it when my parts arrive. I will still be changing out the units when they become available if I don't trade the car in for an Alfa lease.

And the most important #4:
I'm trying to discuss the fact that if it was under warranty, what would Porsche's responsibility be for this situation. I mean, it's crazy that they are not able to fix their own car and can't supply an answer as to when they will be able to get it fixed. Would they have to give you a loaner for that entire period? Could be years....... would they be obligated to buy th car back if you had a new car and this happened?
The following users liked this post:
Mr P. Pan (01-04-2022)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376

Garrett, I only saw one o ring per side on the Porsche site. Are you sure that each side requires two? It's ok as I ordered 4 of each. Mounts and rings. Mounts are extremely low right now so peeps should order a set even to set on the shelf as they are cheap at about $45 each.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:51 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Bottom one (more of a seal than an o-ring, I guess!): 958 343 045 00

Top one: N 903 677 01
Old 11-17-2018, 10:37 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve recently done this job on my 15 year old 2004 Cayenne Turbo. Some of my pictures may help. Bottom line is that the air springs and shocks were in perfect shape after 170,000 miles and 15 years. My leaks were at the upper o-ring from a little corrosion. I used a dremel wire brush to clean the corrosion and then installed new o-rings with plenty of silicon grease to give them another 15 years of service. Pretty easy job. Cheap too. I recommend using Porsche o-rings, they are high quality rubber and were in good shape after 15 years.

I expect the 958 air spring has minor differences, but the overall design is close enough that this may help.

Corrosion causing the leak.

Corrosion at the upper o-ring

Fresh paint on the exposed bottom section.

Cleaned and polished seating surface of the upper hat.

Cleaned up with Dremel wire brush and 800 grit sandpaper.

Lots of silicon grease.

Reassembly with new o-rings

Last edited by JAGMAN1; 11-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:10 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Boomza. Thanks Jagman.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Jagman - wonderful pics. Might it be possible to add a bit of descriptive text and I'll work it up into a DIY for the DIY forum?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Predicament - Out of Stock