Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

FYI scorpion snow tires on 50% off clearance at tirerack

Old 02-05-2019, 05:38 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I have now had the tires for about 4,000 miles now and I'm impressed with the Pirelli Winters. Dry, wet, snow, ice, it has been incredible how good the tires have been. While the truck handled pretty good with either the OEM Michelin Latitudes and then with the Verde Plus A/S' in the snow, there really is nothing like pure winter/snow tires in the snow, slush, loose/fresh snow.

The deal was great, I only wish the deal was all the time but, when it comes time to get another set, I'll get the next N1 spec. version of the same tire. There is a good reason why they are rated so well and even #1.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:25 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

The tires, on the 19" Design II wheels were awesome this past winter. Even more so after I had the wheels balanced by a Porsche dealer. I think that their balance had the ride smoother than before and for $160, it had better have been smoother. At least they will be more than good enough for next winter.

After work today I'll go to my local garage and have the guy there swap out the winter tires/wheels for my 20" spring/summer/fall set of tires/wheels as I had left my floor jack at my brother in laws and for probably about $20, maybe $30, they will do it right then and there for me and I won't have to deal with it this time around.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

After work I had realized that I have a 4 ton bottle jack at home and if worse came to worse, which it did as the bottle jack was not really fun to use under the truck as the bolt in the subframe/cradle-whatever point it was a bit further under the car that I would use to jack from, the bottle jack I had would have worked but I gave up on it quick when I had realized that the emergency jack worked easily and well once I had chocked up the other three tires.

In under an hour and taking my time, I had all four winter wheels/tires off and the all seasons on and it was nice that the tires held their 38F and 44R air all winter in the basement.

Even without my big aluminum floor jack, the job was easy. I'll give kudos to the Porsche dealership and the last guy to work on my wheels as I could tell when taking the lug bolts off that they were all torqued equally and properly using my finely tuned and calibrated arms.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I feel like I got a new CD with the 20" all season, Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus back on. I had gotten so used to the way the truck handled with the 19" Pirelli Winter tires that with the 20" back on, the truck is even sharper than what I had gotten used to for the past 3-plus months of driving around in the cold.

Next nice day I'll take the winter wheels outside, wash and seal them so that they'll be ready for next winter.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

So I guess no more snow in MA? I am in NY and I am so close to doing the summer swap too. But I am scared that we will get snow again!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

It's forecast to be in the 40's every day for the next 10 days. I'm also not worried if it does snow as this was the first winter I ever ran an AWD truck with full-on snow tires and while it was awesome and the traction was great, especially when towing the enclosed trailer in the snow, I could do it with the all seasons with no trouble.

Never mind that if it does snow, it will melt fast and the plows plow anyway so its not a life or death decision.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I usually wait until income tax to take off the snows. They go on around Thanksgiving usually. That's NJ - so far at the NJ shore we've had only one storm where white stuff on the road actually accumulated - and I was navigating that with worn out snows (slipping and sliding.) Since I put on brand new snows the chance of any snow between now and April 15th is absolutely nil.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:07 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Exactly we all ran snows, so no real snow! I am so tempted to swap and put my spyders on. Probably will on Sunday.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:14 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I had only put around 5,000 miles on the tires since the end of November when I had first put them on the truck.

Last edited by BenCD; 03-14-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:47 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I took off the 20" wheels/tires and put the snow tires/wheels back on as it has been cold up here in MA for a while now so the time is right.

It was flurrying on and off yesterday so it was perfect getting the tires back on the CD.

I had only driven about 5,000 miles since last 03/2019 as I've been riding the 2017 Beta 500 RR-S back and forth to work every day since 03/2019.

We're all looking forward for snowmobile/sledding/skating season to begin up north and the CD is now ready although I need to do an oil change soon as the countdown is at like 800 miles.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:26 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Another winter has now just about passed us by and up here, it is going to be in the upper 40's and 50's for the next 10 days so once my new set of Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus' come and I get them all mounted up with new TPMS', the Scorpion Winters will come off and be put away for another spring/summer/fall.

I did another 5,000 miles this past winter, towing the enclosed snowmobile trailer all over New Hampshire and had the chance to drive in some good snow a few times and the tires did exactly what they were supposed to do and got me anywhere I needed to go with no muss, no fuss, and no drama.

The tires are impressive as they are quiet, even when not towing at higher speeds, like > 75 mph, they are quiet and handle well in the cold and wet, for snow tires.

There is still a good amount of tread left as the tires now only have about 10,000 miles on them so I'll put the tires/wheels away and then put them back on again next fall/winter.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:09 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

You think winter has passed you buy in early March? I always left my snows on until early April when I lived there. Same thing here in Colorado, we usually get at least 1 or 2 large spring storms and historically March is our snowiest month.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:33 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docwyte
You think winter has passed you buy in early March? I always left my snows on until early April when I lived there. Same thing here in Colorado, we usually get at least 1 or 2 large spring storms and historically March is our snowiest month.

We are in a different world here in MA. It was the warmest winter of ALL TIME here. January was the 3rd warmest on record and February was the 2nd warmest.

Even if it does snow, as I'll have a new set of all seasons, with the CD, I'll manage like I always have with all seasons and if it does snow, it is gone the next day and besides the plows plow and things are back to normal/down to pavement in less than a day. It is not a panic around here if it snows this month.

Even up in NH, where we need to drive at least 50 miles/1 hour just to see any snow on the ground, the snow is melting at a rate of 2" per day. As there is only from 12-15" on the ground, in a week, maybe two weeks, it will all be gone.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:30 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

I lived in MA for 12 years, left in 2004. I always left the snows on till early April and was happy that I did...
Old 03-08-2020, 08:42 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

The Scorpion Winter's have 15,000 miles on them as each of the past 3 seasons I have traveled 5,000 miles each winter as each trip up north averages to a 200 mile roundtrip.

I will use them one more season next winter and then probably get another set as they have done me well the past three winters.

The new Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus' are now on their spring/summer/fall-wheels and ready for the warm-up here in New England.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI scorpion snow tires on 50% off clearance at tirerack