Cayenne Winter Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:27 PM
gubsta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Winter Wheels

Hi folks,

I’ve got a 2016 Cayenne on 21” wheels and want to go smaller to improve ride comfort.

I have two questions...

The 20” RS II alloys seem to come in a couple of config options and I understand the ET47 wheels have the right offset for cars with arch extensions, but they seem to come in two further versions. One for air cars and one for steel. I can’t think for the life of me what the difference could be? I’ve found a decent second hand set but they are the ‘air’ version - I have a steel sprung car...

Second question is more straightforward. Would the 19s look stupid with the arch extensions? I’m not a fan of wheel spacers...

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gubsta
The 20” RS II alloys seem to come in a couple of config options and I understand the ET47 wheels have the right offset for cars with arch extensions, but they seem to come in two further versions. One for air cars and one for steel. I can’t think for the life of me what the difference could be? I’ve found a decent second hand set but they are the ‘air’ version - I have a steel sprung car...
Wow, interesting, learn something new about these things all the time.

So how did you find out there are two versions for the different suspensions? I’ve only ever seen different part #s for the RS wheels based on color/finish. In the Porsche parts listings and the Tequipment catalog, I’ve never seen mention of specific wheels for air vs steel suspension options. I have seen part different part #s for TPMS and no TPMS equipped, but it’s still the exact same wheel in those cases.

Do you have two different part #s based on this distinction? Like you I can’t imagine what would possibly be different between the two because of the suspension type. Doesn’t make sense. When I purchased OEM 21” wheels for my 19” equipped 958 CTT, I was never asked, nor was there any different set available for air vs steel springs. Weird.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Second question is more straightforward. Would the 19s look stupid with the arch extensions? I’m not a fan of wheel spacers...

Thanks for any help!

Well, dunno if I have pics of mine on 19" - hold on, I think I do..

Ok - you can decide for yourself. Extra points if anyone can ID the locations the photos were taken at (done during a coast-to-coast-to-coast trip last year in December - where I put on the snows just in case. 7,000 miles+ later - had gone through 10 minutes of snow in West Virginia..)

Old 11-10-2018, 04:25 AM
gubsta
Track Day

Thanks for the pictures - I think they look good!

the following link has the two versions of the wheels on it (for the 9J ET57) You can see that air cars have a p/n ending in 32 and steel cars 42...?

http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/...257981004A481C
Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

the following link has the two versions of the wheels on it (for the 9J ET57) You can see that air cars have a p/n ending in 32 and steel cars 42...?
Wow, very interesting.

So when I looked at your link, I said “Ah-hah! That’s the Euro Tequipment website and it’s for the Cayenne S Diesel, which we don’t have here in the USA...that may be the difference...maybe something unique to that particular model?!”

But then I looked at that same winter wheel/tire set on the USA Tequipment site, using the closest model possible (Cayenne S) and lo and behold, yep there’s a different set specified for the air vs steel suspensions! Really interesting!

So now the mystery continues....what’s the difference?! Since it’s a complete package (wheels/tires/TPMS), the part # corresponds to the package, not the wheel itself. So it just might be something in the package, other than the wheel itself, that’s different for the two suspensions? If you could find a Porsche parts list for just the bare wheel alone, it would be interesting to see there if they list two different part #s for each suspension variant for just the wheel.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:27 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I scoured the internet for the ET47 20x9.5 RS wheels and ran into the same point of trivia that they have different PNs for air/steel. They are absurdly priced new.

i ended up finding someone selling a set locally who had no idea what he had on craigslist. Didn't check whether air/steel. have been fine so far on my air suspended S
Old 11-10-2018, 06:06 PM
slickrick68
AutoX

I would consider jumping up to 40 series sidewall on the 21's, much improved ride comfort and the speedometer is more accurate as well.

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I scoured the internet for the ET47 20x9.5 RS wheels and ran into the same point of trivia that they have different PNs for air/steel. They are absurdly priced new.

i ended up finding someone selling a set locally who had no idea what he had on craigslist. Didn't check whether air/steel. have been fine so far on my air suspended S
I’ve purchased two absolutely perfect OEM Cayenne wheel/tires sets from Craigslist in the past, and felt like I stole them! Unbelievable deals to be found there occasionally.

This mystery of the steel vs air suspension wheel variants is still really strange though. Interesting.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:45 PM
mtpmd
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make up your mind yet? I usually get tires/whells from tirerack, and for winters/off road got the 19X8.5 SPORT EDITION WX5 TI GUNMETAL (on a white turbo). They were relatively cheap, are still on sale as I check, and they look (IMO) quite nice. As I just posted elsewhere, they also right now have 19 inch scorpions just off the stock size but still completely suitable (255/50) on less than 50% clearance, so you could pick up a whole set of 4 tires plus,wheels for about $1500, a good deal.

Downsizing to 19s for winter isn't really about ride comfort, it's really for traction & performance - narrower tires get down thru slop to traction better than wider ones.

QUOTE=gubsta;15420890]
Hi folks,

I’ve got a 2016 Cayenne on 21” wheels and want to go smaller to improve ride comfort.

[....]
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-16-2018, 04:42 PM
gubsta
Track Day

Originally Posted by mtpmd
Make up your mind yet? I usually get tires/whells from tirerack, and for winters/off road got the 19X8.5 SPORT EDITION WX5 TI GUNMETAL (on a white turbo). They were relatively cheap, are still on sale as I check, and they look (IMO) quite nice. As I just posted elsewhere, they also right now have 19 inch scorpions just off the stock size but still completely suitable (255/50) on less than 50% clearance, so you could pick up a whole set of 4 tires plus,wheels for about $1500, a good deal.
Well actually I've gone all the way and gone for some 19"s - the later style turbo 19" wheel which I think looks great. Currently having them refinished in satin black and then with some all season tyres I can ditch the 21"s permanently.

Alas as a resident of the UK I think the Tire Rack deal won't fly - but I paid £400 for the wheels (about $500) so should have some cash to spare for the right tyres!

My wife will moan that the car doesn't look right but this is a small price to pay for the multiple times she will smash over the curb when parking.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Winter Wheels