Sponsored By:

Lower Mileage S vs. Higher Mileage Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Lower Mileage S vs. Higher Mileage Turbo

Hey all - new to the forum, but have been a car enthusiast for a long time. Porsche is something I've not gotten into before, but done lots of research on this site before signing up for my specific question.

My wife and I live in upstate NY and are looking locally at two different options within a couple hour drive: a 2011 Cayenne S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo. The catch is that the S has around 60K miles and the turbo has just over 100K miles. Both are around the same price (turbo is a little cheaper actually)

The S has a fairly documented history via Carfax - has been regularly serviced at a Porsche dealer and has had the variocam bolts fix done. It has the full leather interior and nearly all the options, so its loaded up pretty good... I really like the miles on it

The turbo on the other hand, has every single option, but does have just over 100K miles. Its a private seller, but that seller is like the 4th owner. It seems to have been regularly serviced, but not necessarily at a Porsche dealer. It has been to several different places with the different owners... even a record of a highly regarded shop that specializes in German cars, with a couple Porsche visits on the Carfax record. The positive is that it has had all of the issues addressed: variocam bolts and all of the coolant related issues I read about have been fixed - to the knowledge of the current owner, it was never overheated either - the fix for the coolant tubes was done as a preventative measure.

Also, both cars have no known issues with the transfer case, but I do recognize there is some risk here - seems to be inherent on all the cars, so I can't get away from it

What would you all choose? I like that I'm not leaving ANYTHING on the table with the turbo, as i'm picky about options - the S has a couple things missing, but nothing that's a deal-breaker.... Also, I tend to only keep cars for about 2 years, so I feel like the turbo could be good and reliable in that time frame (prob put 10-12K miles per year).
Is there anything i'm neglecting? - should I turn and run from a 100K mile turbo??

Keep in mind, this will be my wife's DD, so power isn't a big factor in the decision. The V6 probably has enough for her....

TIA for all your help!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:46 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I just bought a 2013 CTT and love it. Before this one, however, I had (still do) a 2005 CTT that I bought with 113k and drove it to 177k. The miles are not what concerns me, it's the maintenance. It sounds like the CTT you're looking at is will maintained and all the "gotchas" have been addressed. For that reason alone, I'd say go with the Turbo. WAY more fun to drive. If it has the PDCC option, you will be amazed at how "light" it drives. Acceleration is also pretty damn amazing for the heft it's lugging around.

My $0.02, for what it's worth.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
Hey all - new to the forum, but have been a car enthusiast for a long time. Porsche is something I've not gotten into before, but done lots of research on this site before signing up for my specific question.

My wife and I live in upstate NY and are looking locally at two different options within a couple hour drive: a 2011 Cayenne S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo. The catch is that the S has around 60K miles and the turbo has just over 100K miles. Both are around the same price (turbo is a little cheaper actually)

The S has a fairly documented history via Carfax - has been regularly serviced at a Porsche dealer and has had the variocam bolts fix done. It has the full leather interior and nearly all the options, so its loaded up pretty good... I really like the miles on it

The turbo on the other hand, has every single option, but does have just over 100K miles. Its a private seller, but that seller is like the 4th owner. It seems to have been regularly serviced, but not necessarily at a Porsche dealer. It has been to several different places with the different owners... even a record of a highly regarded shop that specializes in German cars, with a couple Porsche visits on the Carfax record. The positive is that it has had all of the issues addressed: variocam bolts and all of the coolant related issues I read about have been fixed - to the knowledge of the current owner, it was never overheated either - the fix for the coolant tubes was done as a preventative measure.

Also, both cars have no known issues with the transfer case, but I do recognize there is some risk here - seems to be inherent on all the cars, so I can't get away from it

What would you all choose? I like that I'm not leaving ANYTHING on the table with the turbo, as i'm picky about options - the S has a couple things missing, but nothing that's a deal-breaker.... Also, I tend to only keep cars for about 2 years, so I feel like the turbo could be good and reliable in that time frame (prob put 10-12K miles per year).
Is there anything i'm neglecting? - should I turn and run from a 100K mile turbo??

Keep in mind, this will be my wife's DD, so power isn't a big factor in the decision. The V6 probably has enough for her....

TIA for all your help!
First, welcome to the forum! Good folks here. Second, I commend you for the research you've already done on the subject.

So I'll assume neither of these will have any sort of warranty, or do you plan to look into purchasing one? (I'm not even sure that's possible for the Turbo given the mileage at this point)

The Turbo is probably appealing due to the heavy option content you mentioned, and the additional power of course. But 100k+ miles and still on the original TC (right?), that would cause me some serious concern and would be a factor. That's easily $4-5k if it ultimately needs replacing. Not to mention all the other electronic gremlins that can crop up in these complex vehicles as they age...and the air suspension too, read some of the threads here related to that as these get older. Also if this vehicle is intended to be your wife's DD to the tune of 10-12k miles a year for a couple years, that's something to think about certainly. Now 60k miles on the S, that's pretty low for a 2011! It sounds like they're both in good overall shape cosmetically, but the S sounds like it has a bit better documented service history than the Turbo. You mentioned that your wife really doesn't need/care about the additional power of the Turbo, does that matter more to you? Also, what features are lacking on the S that you wish it had, but mentioned you could live without? Are those also concerns for your wife?

Toward the end of your post you also stated "The V6 probably has enough for her....". Keep in mind that these are both V8 equipped Cayenne models.

Just based on the info you've provided, and the intended purpose of the vehicle (wife's DD), the S with only 60k miles, decent optional content, and a documented service history sounds like it might be the smart purchase for your situation between these two. Sure, I understand the allure and 'mystique' of the Turbo model, but again the S sounds like the better choice in this particular case.

Let us know how things play out...good luck!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:16 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Thank you both for your opinions...

My comment on the v6 was just illustrative. I know they're both V8's, but I was basically just saying that both have more than enough power, so I don't want that to be in the conversation.

The only missing options on the S are the panoramic roof (which I think can be gone without) and Entry&Drive, which I think is actually something that bugs my wife... we've had nothing but push-button start vehicles for years.... several Lexus cars, and others.

I thought I had read that the transfer case can be managed if you change out the fluid and put in a moisture collecting additive?? I hadn't read of any electrical gremlins in my searches... was thinking these were built really well.... especially compared to my wife's other desirable car, a Range Rover, which is a maintenance nightmare from what I read
Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

I thought I had read that the transfer case can be managed if you change out the fluid and put in a moisture collecting additive?? I hadn't read of any electrical gremlins in my searches... was thinking these were built really well.... especially compared to my wife's other desirable car, a Range Rover, which is a maintenance nightmare from what I read
In some cases, a TC fluid change with the proper fluid seems to cure the symptoms, but sometimes not. There are SEVERAL who have had to have theirs replaced, some of us more than once <*cough*>. The additive that's been mentioned is additional friction modifier (not a Porsche specified additive), that some here have been experimenting with. It is not a "moisture collecting additive". The references to excessive moisture stem from the additional parts Porsche now adds when replacing the TC with a new updated model, in the form of an 'air vent kit'. This provides better ventilation, and routes it to a place where the vent opening itself cannot pickup moisture.

The electrical issues mentioned are not widespread, but if you read through this forum, more and more issues are beginning to crop up as these 958.1 gen vehicles creep up in age and mileage. Overall though in the grand scheme of things, these Cayennes are fairly robust. It's just that when something does happen it can get uber-$$$ and/or complex in a hurry.

Again, in your particular scenario, between these two, the 60k mile S sounds like it just might be the better selection for you and your wife.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I think you've gotten some great advice above from experienced Cayenne owners. While I LOVE my turbo - for a wifemobile - especially if she's coming from a Lexus (there is no more reliable car - which is why my wife drives one), the S would be the better candidate just due to lower miles and less things to break. Hopefully you have also read: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html - it outlines the differences and different problems models might have. To avoid the electrical problems - the most important thing is to keep an eye out on your front footwells - watching for signs of water intrusion. It's not hard to do, and the fix is pretty simple, but needs to be periodically repeated (see the DIY forum for details..)

Good luck making your choice, and let us know what you decide to do!
Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll weigh in with my high mileage Turbo experience. 2011 CTT with 113,000 miles. I purchased the car 2.5 years ago with 80k miles and still in CPO warranty. I recently traded the car in as I had a small accident and didn't want to deal with it, and I was concerned about future mechanical issues. I had full documentation from day 1, all service done at my local dealer. Car was in exceptional shape.

Items repaired that I remember:

Front upper and lower control arms due to noise over bumps (warranty)
Coils and Plugs
Front axle (warranty)
Cam bolts recall (eventually warranty)
Dash rattle (warranty)
F&R Brakes ($1000 in parts)
Multiple oil services
Thermostat housing ($2k)
Tires

Not addressed, but concerned about:
Rear main seal oil leak ($4500)
Suspension (pump can run for a while and cycles on/off frequently. also, front end sometimes sits 1" lower overnight)
Transfer case
Rear wiper occasionally stops working
Need to add coolant 2x per year. Leak not identified

Positive comments:
Best universal vehicle I have owned. Comfortable for long trips, great for towing, fits 4 6' adults easily, carries a fair amount of gear.
Super powerful. Drive it like a granny or drive the snot out of it.
Great looks
High quality build and materials. Still looks like new.
Many, many miles ahead of it. Engine was tight, never used oil. Suspension was solid, body was rattle-free

I hope this helps!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:57 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my personal opinion I think the S is the best vehicle in this case based on your description.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Thanks for the continued opinions - keep 'em coming!

As far as the S goes, I'm not sure it can work out.... I've been exploring both avenues... today I found out that the dealer has a bunch of hidden fees that really jack up the price.... even though his price is currently pretty much at a fair market price, once he tacks on $3-4K in fees, its more than I want to spend... and its not like it was a "too good to be true" price - he's really mid-market, and basically at the top of my desired range.... the only difference is that it has the full leather interior, which is something we really would like to have, if possible. All the other cars in that price/miles range do not have the full-leather package.

The turbo car has had the rear crossover bridge, t-stat and water pump replaced already, tubes, T fitting, etc. The only thing that confuses me is that the recall for the cam bolts doesn't show up on the Carfax, but the P-website shows that there aren't any open recalls, so it seems as if it has been done. SO clearly Carfax isn't all inclusive. I'm also seeing on Carfax that the right tie-rod was replaced and the outer tie-rod was replaced at 64K miles in early 2016. That owner had it for 1 yr. and 5 months and put 31K miles on it, so clearly they were on the road A LOT!! I dunno if all those highway miles are a good or bad thing... but just a consideration.. All of the coolant fixes and cam bolts fix were done under the current owner within the last 15K miles.

Clearly, b/c of options, i'm leaning toward the turbo car, as the other S cars force me to leave stuff on the table, and probably have similar risks... i'm not worried about the "mystique" of the turbo car... I do like the idea, as I've always had high performance cars and do like them A LOT...

keep the opinions coming... you just might sway me!!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

I would definitely have a PPI done on the turbo car before purchasing. the owner seems like a good person, so I don't think there will be any issue there.

The other thing that bugs me about the S that I've been discussing is that its not from a "major" dealer. meaning, no Acura, GMC, Porsche, etc. Its a regular ole used car dealer that buys a lot of high end vehicles. And I think these guys are often really untrustworthy... when I shared with him my concern about the cam bolts (before I had found they were already fixed), he said "well, what's a new engine cost? $3-5K? .. no big deal".... and I just laughed at him...
Old 11-07-2018, 04:39 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

I would definitely have a PPI done on the turbo car before purchasing. the owner seems like a good person, so I don't think there will be any issue there.

The other thing that bugs me about the S that I've been discussing is that its not from a "major" dealer. meaning, no Acura, GMC, Porsche, etc. Its a regular ole used car dealer that buys a lot of high end vehicles. And I think these guys are often really untrustworthy... when I shared with him my concern about the cam bolts (before I had found they were already fixed), he said "well, what's a new engine cost? $3-5K? .. no big deal".... and I just laughed at him...
On any Porsche, if I'm not buying new, I'm buying CPO from a P dealer...no question. But that's me. That would be my advice to anyone in the used P market. Peace of mind, if nothing else. Sure, you pay a bit more for it, but compared to what you could have to pay extra down the road buying from a 'mom & pop' shop, no comparison.

So don't be in any hurry, take your time. There's PLENTY pre-owned 958s out there, and more coming online everyday. Don't be stuck on just these two you've initially found.

Good luck with the quest!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:10 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
On any Porsche, if I'm not buying new, I'm buying CPO from a P dealer...no question. But that's me. That would be my advice to anyone in the used P market. Peace of mind, if nothing else. Sure, you pay a bit more for it, but compared to what you could have to pay extra down the road buying from a 'mom & pop' shop, no comparison.

So don't be in any hurry, take your time. There's PLENTY pre-owned 958s out there, and more coming online everyday. Don't be stuck on just these two you've initially found.

Good luck with the quest!
hands down, these aren't the only two... just our favorites at this point..... plus, I'm willing to travel any distance, which really opens the door.... and I'm very patient... all good things... I've been looking at this point for about 3 months

i looked at CPO and they're just too high priced at this point... if I sold my C7-Z06 then I could do it, but I'm pretty insistent on my budget without eliminating the Vette, which I have no plan on doing.....
Old 11-07-2018, 07:04 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

... if I sold my C7-Z06 then I could do it, but I'm pretty insistent on my budget without eliminating the Vette, which I have no plan on doing.....
As a former 3x Z06 owner (and possible future Z06 owner once again), I can certainly understand your desire to keep it!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:28 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

I've decided to go for the CTT..... not only did the S turn out to be not the price I expected, but I was able to get the CTT at a price that is in a good spot, and all of the typical issues have been addressed.... plus, what appears to be a highly-regarded shop did a PPI for me, and the car passed with flying colors...

I will be flying to get it on Sunday and drive it nearly 1,200 miles home.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:57 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

I've decided to go for the CTT..... not only did the S turn out to be not the price I expected, but I was able to get the CTT at a price that is in a good spot, and all of the typical issues have been addressed.... plus, what appears to be a highly-regarded shop did a PPI for me, and the car passed with flying colors...

I will be flying to get it on Sunday and drive it nearly 1,200 miles home.
Congrats! Wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip. That should be a good ‘shakedown cruise’.

Quick Reply: Lower Mileage S vs. Higher Mileage Turbo