Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:09 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts
Default Buy Porsche Macan or Cayenne?

I'm long time Porsche owner with no experience with the Macan or Cayenne
My cousin in NYC wants to buy a Macan or Cayenne

Can you guys chime in - He uses SUV for carting his wife/baby up to his country house about an hour north several times a week
Thx!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:15 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My better half is on her second Cayenne DD...the first was an '11 base and the present one is a '14 S. We both definitely like it over the Macan loaners she's had for a cumulative three weeks! The answer is simple: more room. The Mac is nice and peppy, but a bit cramped. The Cayenne (I refuse to call it a P!g...such a stupid nickname) has elbow room galore and is just more comfortable to drive. Thinking about driving in the "city," though, changes things tremendously, so your cousin might be better served with the smaller SUV. The Mac is easier to park and it needs less space.

TXCOMT
Old 10-16-2018, 04:27 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I test drove a Macan when they first came. My DD was a C4S at the time and the Macan seemed quite roomy. Now, when I drop off my Cayenne for service and I get a Macan loaner it seems like a 2 seater in size which is interesting since they don't seem vastly different in exterior size. It really comes down to the drivability around town I would think.

Once out of the city the larger size would be nice but in the city the smaller size may be preferable. If it'll only be used to go to the country house then the larger size would be the way to go as the larger size will accommodate the growth (either in size or quantity) of the family.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:29 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

+1 on the Cayenne. The Macan front sets are good and a nice car to drive but the rear seat area and cargo area are smaller and cramped in the Macan. So for hauling family, the Cayenne is the better vehicle.

The roof rails cant be added aftermarket so if they need to use roof rails for skies etc make sure they get the roof rails. Also recommend 20inch wheel vs 21 for better comfort and lower cost.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 PM
BallJack
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not recommend a Macan for a family with a baby. The trunk can be tight for all the baby stuff. The Macan is more fun to drive though.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Got a Cayenne but had a few days in a loaner Macan. Quite different cars but still very much Porsche DNA running through both. Not much I can add other than sizes really. I am 6'5" and really prefer the larger car that is the Cayenne. Not massive difference but I can have my seat in a good comfortable position and there is plenty of space in the back for passengers - not so much with the Macan. And I find the steering wheel position for the Macan intrudes a little into my leg room. The Cayenne has plenty of space on that front. It could make a difference if you are looking for a few hours in the car for a trip to the country - and the space could make a difference, but if he's smaller and less luggage requirements, the Macan might do quite nicely.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

I think it's a simple equation: which does he value more... the Sport part of SUV or the Utility part?

Sport = Macan
Utility = Cayenne
Old 10-16-2018, 09:30 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

Having gone from a Macan Turbo to a CTT and back to a Macan GTS (which I sold in a month) I'd say they should go for the Cayenne for all of the reasons stated above.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I think it's a simple equation: which does he value more... the Sport part of SUV or the Utility part?

Sport = Macan
Utility = Cayenne
My feelings exactly.

I could not manage with the lack of interior storage space, and the cramped back seat, of the Macan. But it's unquestionably a very fun little suv to drive.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Dkayak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh

Sport = Macan
Utility = Cayenne
Good summary. We have one of each (2017) and like both for different reasons. The similarities and differences are best understood with a back-to-back drive. The front seats and controls are identical. The external width and turning radius are also the same. Cayenne wheelbase is slightly longer and overall length is considerably longer. It’s quite a bit taller too. The Macan feels much more low and planted while the Cayenne has the typical “floaty” SUV ride. Carefully drive both on various roads and decide for yourself.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

I should have mentioned my cousin currently drive a full sized Land Rover and likes the room - Appreciate all the input!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:11 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Love cayenne not huge fan of Macan. Drive them both
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I should have mentioned my cousin currently drive a full sized Land Rover and likes the room - Appreciate all the input!
I would make sure the Cayenne has the trunk room they are used to from Land Rover. The sloped roof is a killer on space.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:29 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Grand Tour had an episode on 3 smaller SUV's this past season, the Alfa Stelveo, a Macan and a Range-Rover Velar. They tested for "sport" and "utility" - as usual, the tests were rather inane - the one for "utility" was trying to fit some rather large dogs in the rear of each SUV.

None passed the test because the hatch wouldn't close due to a dog being in the way..

Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I would go with the Cayenne due to its offroad ability, but that is just me. I spend a fair amount of time in CO which has some beautiful, often easy, trials.

Quick Reply: Buy Porsche Macan or Cayenne?