Sponsored By:

CTT oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CTT oil leak question

I changed oil on my 2013 CTT today and noticed the area around the oil filter housing is wet. What puzzled me is the top of the filter housing is dry. It was in the Porsche dealership last November for the 4 year/60k mile service (oil change, spark plugs, brake fluid, serpentine belt, etc.). If it was leaking prior to the major service they would have seen it and notified me.
Could it be the if the pan gasket right under the filter housing? It’s also wet on the opposite side of the filter housing where the pulley wheel is located. Any help is appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Pepperman (04-09-2020)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Oil rarely migrates up. It typically drips down. There could be a case for it blowing up if there was a particularly strong airflow in an upward direction, but I don't think that's the case around the oil filter housing. I'm not sure which gasket you're referring to - but if it's the one for the lowest oil pan cover (the one visible in your photos) I'd think it quite unlikely that oil leaking from that point would blow up onto the oil-cooler. And there appears to be oil on the oil cooler. I'd be looking above the oil cooler for the source.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn’t count on the dealer to notify you about a thing. On my 957, there was a leak that my dealer completely ignored. Took it to my Indy and they replaced the upper and lower oil pan gaskets. Didn’t have a speck of oil from that moment on.

Is there any oil or residue on the engine conver in the car?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:53 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8202632
I wouldn’t count on the dealer to notify you about a thing. On my 957, there was a leak that my dealer completely ignored. Took it to my Indy and they replaced the upper and lower oil pan gaskets. Didn’t have a speck of oil from that moment on.

Is there any oil or residue on the engine conver in the car?
It’s completely dry on top that’s why I was baffled yesterday. If it’s upper oil pan gasket where would you see it? I will use a small camera to scope around the front and hopefully I can identify the source of the leak. I’m glad that I did the oil change myself. Cannot rely on those kids at the dealership.

Nevermind, I found a picture on the net. It's very likely that the leak is from the upper oil pan. The cost to replace the gasket is going to be significant. Wondering if they have to drop the suspension to get access to it like the X5M which they kept my vehicle for two days.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Closer inspection I found the passenger side of the engine wet with oil. It looks like the valve cover gasket is the source or I have leaks at two places.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Originally Posted by kennyt
Closer inspection I found the passenger side of the engine wet with oil. It looks like the valve cover gasket is the source or I have leaks at two places.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Could the oil filler be leaking? Bad seal on it? Not fully tightened? It seems up above where I'd expect to see a valve cover gasket leaking. I suspect if you remove the beauty cover on that side the source of the leak will become obvious.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 AM
kennyt
Instructor

After removing two bolts from the beauty cover (can’t remove the third and fourth bolts unless I remove the engine anchor to the frame or have a really short T30 bit) I partially lifted the cover and it’s dry in there. Like you suggested Don I think the oil filler cap was not tight or it needs to be replaced. I wiped the oil, tightened the filler cap and will monitor.

on the driver side I see a plastic hose that runs from the front of the engine to somewhere above the pulley wheel. The bottom half of that hose is covered with oil. I think oil from the hose drips down to the housing of the pulley wheel. If anyone knows what the hose is for please let me know. I circle it in the picture.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 AM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your completely right. The dealer did a diesel update and ticked off all the checkmarks. Including oil leaks. Even though there was one. They say that the only time they fix oil leaks is if the customer brings it to their attention. Huh???
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Finally I brought it into the shop and the technician confirmed the leak around the filter housing is from the oil filter cap seal (it's not the O ring). The leak on passenger side of the valve cover is from the engine breather hose. All replaced today for $500.
Then the engine light came on which points to the High Pressure Fuel Pump. It's $2600. Damn...
Old 11-06-2018, 01:07 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Got great news from the dealer, the HPFP is covered under emission warranty up to 8 years or 81k miles. It's going back next week to have it replaced.

Any idea if the small coolant pipe at the back of the engine is above or below the HPFP? While the tech is working in the area I want to ask him to replace the coolant pipe if there's a new version using thread instead of glue.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by kennyt
Got great news from the dealer, the HPFP is covered under emission warranty up to 8 years or 81k miles. It's going back next week to have it replaced.

Any idea if the small coolant pipe at the back of the engine is above or below the HPFP? While the tech is working in the area I want to ask him to replace the coolant pipe if there's a new version using thread instead of glue.
It's below... and the DIY's in our DIY forum mention removing the HPFP to get to it.. but the manual calls for engine removal to replace it. It's not just the pipe that gets replaced - it's the cast aluminum coolant manifold that connects the back of the heads. It actually can be removed with the engine in - but bet the dealer won't offer that.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Thanks Don. Will bring it up next week with the technician and see what he says.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Hang Yu Xu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think mine leaks from lower oil pan. Gasket needs to be replaced but Porsche doesn't sell gasket alone and there is not part number for it. I have to buy a new lower oil pan which comes a gasket. It can be done to replace the gasket only not lower oil pan without dropping the engine because it's very tight space. I don't believe it's possible to slide out the pan. Not sure why the leak from yours is from oil cap? the cap didn't torque in right spec or something to do with o ring? Mine is 2015 CS.

Quick Reply: CTT oil leak question