Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Changing Cayenne Diesel Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 04:15 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Funny, about getting or thinking one needs new bolts. Might as well get new lug bolts every time one gets new tires.

The parts guy I had gotten the first fuel filter from at the closest dealer from me,had insisted that I'd need new bolts. I told him that I'll pass this time and if I need them I'd come back and get them. I'll never see him for another fuel filter again as I know that the VW Touareg Mahle or the Mann filters are the exact same, for 1/2 the cost as they do not come in the white Porsche origami-box that must cost $40.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:55 PM
991howl
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
It looks to me like the Rock Auto $21 fuel filter is Chinese. The Mann fuel filters are always out of stock on their website. For this I'll go with Mann.
I must have gotten the last one. It was Mann filter and $21, it says Made in Germany on the Box

post note: Interestingly, the rubber gasket was dark brown color instead of blue as shown in the pictures above. The one I swapped out was blue (original). I hope it's not counterfeit :-)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Funny, about getting or thinking one needs new bolts. Might as well get new lug bolts every time one gets new tires.

The parts guy I had gotten the first fuel filter from at the closest dealer from me,had insisted that I'd need new bolts. I told him that I'll pass this time and if I need them I'd come back and get them. I'll never see him for another fuel filter again as I know that the VW Touareg Mahle or the Mann filters are the exact same, for 1/2 the cost as they do not come in the white Porsche origami-box that must cost $40.
My guess is that since the bolts are quite short, they're less tolerant of being over-tightened without partially stripping the threads, so to be safe (since we're talking about fuel system components), they specify them to be replaced. I didn't do it the first time, but did this last go around. It was under $10 for all of them, so what the heck, it's not a terrible idea. But yeah, you'll likely go the life of the vehicle without needing new ones if you're mindful when tightening.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While changing the oil on my 2016 Diesel this weekend, I thought I'd take a look inside the fuel filter housing and suction out any water. After I removed all 5 screws and lifted the cover, I saw that the entire canister/housing was full (to the brim) with diesel fuel. I guess I'm not surprised... after all, the fuel must pass through the filter and fill the canister in order for it to have enough pressure to exit the canister.

How does one know whether or not any WATER is at the bottom of the canister? Does water simply sink to the bottom of the canister, while diesel fuel stays on top of the water? The entire contents looks like clear fluid, and smells like diesel. Should all the fluid be suctioned out of the canister as part of the cleaning/draining procedure? If so, should the canister be refilled with fuel in order to "prime" the system, or can I simply turn the ignition on to get the pump running and primed?

BTW - the filter looked very clean (white), so I simply replaced the cover of the canister and tightened down the 5 screws. Didn't suction anything out, nor replace the filter. Left the canister full of diesel (and maybe some water????)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes the water is heavier than the diesel fuel and resides at the bottom of the housing. I haven't seen any water yet either.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:04 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Typically there is a bleeder at the bottom of diesel fuel filters to bleed water. There is none at the CD so use a turkey baster..
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 AM
dimeadip
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife drive a 2011 Jetta TDI for over 180,000 miles before VW bought it back. The fuel filter - and oil filter - look about identical to the Jetta. I always clamped the hoses with vice grips before opening the fuel filter housing to prevent the hoses from draining while open. Never suctioned off any water because I never heard of it until this message board. Never had a problem. We had watched the VW tech use the clamps when he did it. Not sure if it’s needed, but I’ll do the same just in case. Thanks for the write-up!

Quick Reply: Changing Cayenne Diesel Fuel Filter