Looking 2014 Turbo or Turbo S, a few questions

Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking 2014 Turbo or Turbo S, a few questions

Hi Folks,
I have been looking at Cayennes for quite some time and have narrowed down my search to two vehicles. One is a well-optioned Turbo and the other is a Turbo S.

Turbo S:
  • 43k miles
  • Sticker Price $169k
  • Ask - $57.9k
  • Sport design, 911 turbo 2 wheels
  • White over two tone black/red
  • Pano roof, Sport design, Bose, 18-ways
Turbo
  • 36k miles
  • Sticker price $140k
  • $56.9k
  • White over black
  • Cayenne Sport edition wheels, PDCC, PTV, Pano roof, Sport design, Sport chrono, Bose, 18-ways
I know the Turbo S comes standard with PDCC and PTV, are there any other standard features the S has over the regular turbo? I'm aware the engine has a different tune with 50hp more on tap. I would be planning to upgrade exhaust and re-flash the ECU on either model, so the HP difference is immaterial to my decision.

I understand the transfer case is a potential failure point on either car. What do I need to do to check if either has a current issue?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 10:01 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be comparing brakes. Either could have PCCB or steel rotors. Carbon brakes are nice to have, but expensive to repair if something were to happen to a rotor. Also look for roof rails if that's important too you because it's not something you can add later. I believe the Turbo S has tuning and larger turbos, but not 100% on that.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:13 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

My turbo S has a carbon package. Either of them have the Burmester stereo? Trailer hitch. Carbon wheel?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:13 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys.

To answer:
  • Turbo
    • 36k miles
    • Carbon interior package
    • Carbon wheel
    • Roof rails in black, black exterior trim
    • Steel brakes
    • Bose
    • Cayenne Sport design wheels in black
  • Turbo S
    • 43k miles
    • Carbon interior package
    • Carbon illuminated door sills
    • Leather wheel
    • Roof rails in silver, silver exterior trim (less desirable in my aesthetic opinion)
    • Red interior (more desirable in my aesthetic opinion)
    • Steel brakes
    • Bose
    • Turbo 2 wheels in black (less desirable in my aesthetic opinion)
Very comparably equipped vehicles.

In my view, the Turbo is $1k less asking, 8k less miles, and a virtually identical overall spec. Turbo has a more desirable exterior spec, Turbo S has more desirable interior spec. I am leaning towards the Turbo. It's also a shorter flight and shorter drive back to DC (FL for Turbo, TX for Turbo S).
Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

For me, the red/black two-tone interior and the motor of the S would sway the decision to that vehicle. Not a fan of all black interiors in these things. Is either of them CPO? That would make a huge difference as well.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Turbo S:
Name:  9V3qalC.png
Views: 272
Size:  249.4 KB

Turbo:
Name:  sc7qGUH.png
Views: 269
Size:  270.8 KB
Old 10-02-2018, 11:02 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

All things being equal I would rather have an S. It will always be worth more.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:58 AM
jlusby
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have the Turbo S with the red interior and absolutely love that. Would not have been happy with the black interior, but that is personal preference. As someone once said, go big or go home!

Either sounds like like a great vehicle but make sure to get what you really want. Wheels and silver trim can be easily changed. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:17 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

They both sound like great cars. For me it would come down to overall vehicle condition at this point. Little things like rock chips, door dings, stretched/marred leather, etc... and I'd want to see the vehicle service history on each of them.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:12 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Have a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. Mine's all black (exterior, wheels, interior) and black/red interior (Turbo S) sounds more appealing than all black (Turbo) but, my personal preference with a white exterior would be lighter interior (like beige).

Doesn't look like the Turbo has park assist/rear view camera, which would be a big negative for me. But is park assist part of "Premium Package Plus" on the Turbo?

Looking at two vehicles you're considering, and thinking about what I'd want that my buggy doesn't have, the things that stood out are:

Heated steering wheel (Turbo)
Seat ventilation (Turbo S)
4 zone climate control (Turbo S) [this is really only a consideration if you'll have rear seat occupants a non-negligible portion of the time--i.e. kids]

So given the two choices you've listed, I'd be in the Turbo S.

You're not going to feel the power diff between Turbo and Turbo S and, as you say, if you're going to tune it, it's immaterial. I've thought about doing some mods to mine but, at the end of the day, my rational mind won out. Meaning, I thought about what I use it for. The seemingly endless power is pretty satisfying when used but I've used it sparingly and the money for power upgrades seemed superfluous. It doesn't handle like a 2 ton SUV but it's no sports car. The only mod I've done is putting on some 2nd cat bypass pipes that I picked up cheap from a fellow rennlister. Satisfying bass rumble and growl at startup; no noticeable diff when moving, which is fine by me. Have listened to PSE on a Cayenne and was underwhelmed, in contrast to PSE on a Boxster/Cayman where it's very noticeable.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Have a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. Mine's all black (exterior, wheels, interior) and black/red interior (Turbo S) sounds more appealing than all black (Turbo) but, my personal preference with a white exterior would be lighter interior (like beige).

Doesn't look like the Turbo has park assist/rear view camera, which would be a big negative for me. But is park assist part of "Premium Package Plus" on the Turbo?

Looking at two vehicles you're considering, and thinking about what I'd want that my buggy doesn't have, the things that stood out are:

Heated steering wheel (Turbo)
Seat ventilation (Turbo S)
4 zone climate control (Turbo S) [this is really only a consideration if you'll have rear seat occupants a non-negligible portion of the time--i.e. kids]

So given the two choices you've listed, I'd be in the Turbo S.

You're not going to feel the power diff between Turbo and Turbo S and, as you say, if you're going to tune it, it's immaterial. I've thought about doing some mods to mine but, at the end of the day, my rational mind won out. Meaning, I thought about what I use it for. The seemingly endless power is pretty satisfying when used but I've used it sparingly and the money for power upgrades seemed superfluous. It doesn't handle like a 2 ton SUV but it's no sports car. The only mod I've done is putting on some 2nd cat bypass pipes that I picked up cheap from a fellow rennlister. Satisfying bass rumble and growl at startup; no noticeable diff when moving, which is fine by me. Have listened to PSE on a Cayenne and was underwhelmed, in contrast to PSE on a Boxster/Cayman where it's very noticeable.
I believe the turbo would have seat ventilation as well as part of the Premium Plus package.

Looking in more detail I would not like the white gauge faces in the Turbo. I find them hard to read when the sun is getting low. So that would be a strike against the Turbo for me. I see the Turbo has Sport Chrono, does that come standard on the Turbo S? If not that would be something to consider as well.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:00 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry...lurking here. The Turbo II wheels are lighter weight forged compared to Sport Design which are not. I have both for my 911. Turbo II's are much more desirable in the 911 world. Just a thought.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:09 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Sorry...lurking here. The Turbo II wheels are lighter weight forged compared to Sport Design which are not. I have both for my 911. Turbo II's are much more desirable in the 911 world. Just a thought.
That's an excellent point re: Turbo IIs, one that's often either overlooked or not known to many.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:02 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

You guys have all been very helpful in deciding this.

I'm going with the Turbo S. I've never had a car I didn't do something to in some way, so the silver trim and wheels are not too off-putting. I would keep the Turbo 2 wheels and maybe use those for winter tires. The 8k extra miles are not really a material difference in my view. The red interior is a big upgrade in my opinion, and at the end of the day I agree, the Turbo S will hold more residual value.

Putting a deposit on it today and flying to Dallas to pick it up on Saturday. Then, its a fun road trip back to DC in my new vehicle!
Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Not to throw a wrench into your plans.

Their is a Carmine Red Turbo S with Red interior and Black Sport Design wheels that just came up in the Trenton NJ area for about same price and same mileage.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

No pictures on it yet but I'm sure you could get some from them. I have it in my favorites but I'm still 4-5 months out from my purchase at the moment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking 2014 Turbo or Turbo S, a few questions