Sponsored By:

Using my CTT as a truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:20 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Using my CTT as a truck

Today we answer the question: "Will $500 of eight foot ready-to-assemble Ikea closet cabinets fit into a 958?"

The answer is yes. But should you do it? No. Plan carefully and pay for the delivery. This is a return, Ikea ships only one way.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:23 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I've stuffed all sorts of stuff like that, wood, 2x10, 2x8's, 4x4's. I put the Utility into my SUV.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I've stuffed all sorts of stuff like that, wood, 2x10, 2x8's, 4x4's. I put the Utility into my SUV.
I assume they were 8 footers or less. I need to move some 10 footers. I measured and it seems like they would fit but with zero room to spare and touching the windshield. I need to haul 3 of them and will likely use the Highlander as that has a rear window that opens if they don't fit inside. I guess the other option would be to angle them and have them stick out the passenger window.

I was loading a few bags of river rock, PVC pipe, etc. into mine last week and someone passed by surprised I would do that do a Porsche. Use the proper protection and it's still a truck.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Agreed. I tell my snowmobile/snowbike/dirtbike/farm-buddies, "Don't sweat your feet/snow/mud/dirt. I'm not one of those "people" who cares about what happens to the interior." I'm living life and not worried about resale or trade in value at all.

It might as well be an Ford F-150 or a GMC Sierra for I care. Now with that said, Do you have any Grey Poupon?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:26 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My son just rediscovered woodworking after I gave him my Festool rig. This is a picture of him hauling material in a Mazda3. Don't forget to look in the mirror! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Last edited by sclemmons; 08-31-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:06 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Talking

For some reason I'm hearing a banjo playing and thinking: "Let me tell you a story of a man named Jed....." LOL

Old 08-31-2018, 10:08 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

You guys are scaring me with these pics!!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:33 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

You’ve got use use the “utility” portion of your SUV. I’ve been using my X5 to haul the bulky things but, once it’s gone that duty will fall to Cayenne. People already look at me weird when I call it my fishing truck.

I’ll have to see if I can find the pic but, we hauled a Husqvarna walk behind mower home still in the box from Lowe’s in a Mini Cooper S years ago. My wife had to drive home because the seat needed to be so far forward I couldn’t move my leg enough to let the clutch out and the steering wheel was in my chest. Haha
Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Something to think about when doing what's shown above: I know of someone who got beheaded in LA traffic due to getting in an accident with a nice and light with rounded corners surfboard stowed inside of the car running between the seats front. A mild side impact with the materials as shown above and you'll likely join her.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:00 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
You’ve got use use the “utility” portion of your SUV. I’ve been using my X5 to haul the bulky things but, once it’s gone that duty will fall to Cayenne. People already look at me weird when I call it my fishing truck.

I’ll have to see if I can find the pic but, we hauled a Husqvarna walk behind mower home still in the box from Lowe’s in a Mini Cooper S years ago. My wife had to drive home because the seat needed to be so far forward I couldn’t move my leg enough to let the clutch out and the steering wheel was in my chest. Haha
Hahahaha. Yeah, I get the 'utility' thing, but these are luxury, sporty SUVs, they're not some clapped out 90s Explorer or whatever. The utility I'm personally looking for in my Cayenne CTTs (and now Macan GTS) are more like packing up stuff for a week at the beach, but still wanting to have a fun vehicle to drive when you get there. I have other vehicles for the more 'gruesome' chores. But at the same time, I do appreciate seeing pics of some using these vehicles to their fullest, even if it gives me nightmares!

Most amazing thing I ever saw along these lines though was in the early 90s..... a young lady at a local hardware store was pulling out of the parking lot one Saturday in a new (at the time) Dodge Viper with enough lumber sticking out of it to build a small deck!! If only we had cell phones then to take a pic!
Old 09-03-2018, 12:55 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

Cross rails on top work great for things longer than 8'. I also have a device that uses the trailer hitch receiver to add a 3rd support for really long things. People use them with pickups to extend the bed but they also line up with the top cross bars. Hauled a couple of 16' 2x8s on the top of the Touareg a few years ago. I decided enough is enough recently and now have a 10' aluminum utility trailer. Works much better. The CGTS looked great at the county landfill when I had a trailer full of building debris. Had to keep a close watch for nails. Still haul the small stuff in the Cayenne. It is a utility vehicle.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Looking good.

I have my old TLC80 for hauling,.junk, firewood, etc. I did use the Cayenne for one trip to the dump just to see and it took a lot of careful packing, nothing like when I'm using the TLC.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:57 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Cross rails on top work great for things longer than 8'. I also have a device that uses the trailer hitch receiver to add a 3rd support for really long things. People use them with pickups to extend the bed but they also line up with the top cross bars. Hauled a couple of 16' 2x8s on the top of the Touareg a few years ago. I decided enough is enough recently and now have a 10' aluminum utility trailer. Works much better. The CGTS looked great at the county landfill when I had a trailer full of building debris. Had to keep a close watch for nails. Still haul the small stuff in the Cayenne. It is a utility vehicle.
Do you have a link to the hitch receiver 3rd support? I sold my 6x12 enclosed trailer as I have no room at my house for it.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Do you have a link to the hitch receiver 3rd support? I sold my 6x12 enclosed trailer as I have no room at my house for it.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ct_19670_19670

I agree on the storage space for a trailer. The same challenge I am having so the trailer stays at the lake cabin unless I need it at home.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a lot of stuff! Now I won't worry when I have to use the GTS to carry a whole bunch of stuff.

Quick Reply: Using my CTT as a truck